Disturbing DCI rumors

21 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

If you build it, they will come. They have 20 years of wrong doing to undo so the start would be to schedule and plan for the remaining corps to tour regionally for the 1st half of the summer. Re=establish the regional circuit and then by default this would help new groups get started and save on expenses to get off the ground.

Does DCI schedule/create shows or is that done by local sponsors? I’m reading that DCI should do this and that but not sure if DCI does all those things now.

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

If you build it, they will come. They have 20 years of wrong doing to undo so the start would be to schedule and plan for the remaining corps to tour regionally for the 1st half of the summer. Re=establish the regional circuit and then by default this would help new groups get started and save on expenses to get off the ground.

It is really not all that much cheaper, if it is at all. Just about every expense of the current system would still be in play. 

I don't see show sponsors-in-waiting lining up to provide enough shows in each and every region for all of the corps to have a full season of shows. 

What is YOUR geographical delineation of each region? How many of them? What corps are in each?

On 12/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, rpbobcat said:

Thing is, they don't say they "love" it.

In fact,other then their child,they show no real interest in the activity.

They say things like "I'm at the show because my son or daughter is in ___________."

What's also  interesting is how many of the parents never even heard of drum corps 

till their kid made a corps.

that's an age old issue despite how many people choose to ignore it

On 12/26/2019 at 11:22 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Doesn’t sound like it’s DCIs job to worry about it either /sarcism

apparently they only focus on incoming, not outgoing

On 12/26/2019 at 11:45 AM, HockeyDad said:

There are degrees of caring don’t you think?  The kind where you allocate vacation time to plan out of town trips to one or more shows, such as Finals. There’s the kind where you catch local shows every summer. Maybe if it’s within a couple hour drive. There’s the kind where you don’t go to shows anymore because you can’t stand indoor sound or electronics or tinny sound of individually mic’d players etc., yet you will still write a check to support one or more corps. There’s the kind where you still enjoy listening to the accoustic sound through progressively older recordings. 

Also there’s something to be said, I think, to not yield the discussion lest this become a place where people claim, “look - no one is complaining, it must have universal support”.  

So, that canned retort - you’re still here, you must care - what is that even supposed to mean?  “Care” and “agree” are not the same things.   If I don’t care does that mean I must stop posting here?

then choose your words wisely. 

On 12/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, garfield said:

Hard to figure two things: 1.  Why would they?  And 2.  What's it worth?

i'm sure they see opportunity. Just which opportunity

On 12/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, garfield said:

Thanks, smarty pants.  Ok, "At what price level will the DJIA..."  Oh, NM.

high enough for tweets proclaiming greatness

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 12/27/2019 at 5:54 AM, garfield said:

Can each region sell enough seats to be profitable even without a WC participant?  What of regions that have none?  I'm simple - I think of "regional" as being time zones because those lines are fixed and not gerrymandered to benefit the few.

Is the activity ready to concede membership to the big club if the successful regional touring, plus DCI "Regionals" in their area, and the trip to "Finals" with 100 members is the minimum requirement for a minimum time?

plus you still have housing food and fuel costs

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 12:24 PM, HockeyDad said:

Blah blah blah same arguments as nauseam. I can virtually guarantee you the way for DCI to survive in the long term does NOT include increasing the costs every year for each corps to remain competitive. But by all means, keep adding bells n whistles and sell it by laughably claiming it will somehow reduce costs or perhaps magically increase revenue over and above the cost increase involved with addition of said bells n whistles. 

the way for DCI to survive is people dealing in financial reality to be in charge.Lately it seems like they are the Fed and Treasury in September 08 throwing #### against the wall to see what sticks

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gbass598 said:

DCE used to consist of the east coast corps. DCM has all the Midwest. DCW was basically the west coast. Anyone notice how the small corps still thrive on the west coast more than any other region by not leaving California for the 1st half of tour?

the small shows went away because there weren’t enough corps to fill them. Columbus used to have 2 shows a year. (1 DCM and one DCI) There hasn’t been one here for 3 years now.

We never left the Midwest until mid July and had much shorter drives between shows. 2-3 hours instead of 6+ like what seems to be common now.

the east saw small corps fade away trying to do what the west and midwest tried to do.