Disturbing DCI rumors

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can think of a huge reason why DCI should do such a thing: marketing. Changing the instrumentation could potentially decrease the audience base. It could also have no impact at all. While there have been all sorts of predictions as to what would make people walk away, this could be different because it will not be gradual as some changes have been and in many minds it fundamentally changes drum corps. Polling is not a referendum and it could help navigate any changes. 

DCI and the member corps needs to be true to its mission, but it also has to be mindful that without an audience that mission is impossible to fulfill. While it is true that some believe because they are donors they have a right to dictate what a corps does, there are also cases where corps want donations and support but if a donor is not happy, it doesn’t matter. DCI has also had some serious public relations blunders. Polling won’t change all of this, but it is at least a step towards saying you matter.

this has been said with all of the other changes, and look at the growth the last 10 years.

don't get me wrong...i do not want woodwinds. sadly dci has made me realize they're gonna do what they're gonna do, my feelings be ######

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Fan opinion affects WHEN changes occur.

again, fan opinion stopped none of the previously mentioned changes, even with very vocal protests

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Nah, that's Madison's proposal you're talking about. 😛

I'm curious as to exactly how many people travel to Indy to BOA nationals who have no kid in a band, they just go because they like marching bands. If it's less than the fans at DCI Finals (typically about half the house with no affiliation to a current member), then it would argue that bands, by themselves, aren't all that appealing. 

from what i cold tell, BOA doesn't even draw a DCI sized crowd...and thats with all of the non finalist bands in the seats

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

It changed the fan makeup. Gone are the enthusiastic fans of drums and bugles. Replaced by parents and families who are only there because their children are participating. Plus a much smaller group of mostly old hangers on. And bandos who don’t pay much attention. Mostly they’re on their phones and talking among themselves throughout the events. 

not really. fewer of them left than you think. in fact old age/health/death probably removed more than any change mentioned

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

not really. fewer of them left than you think. in fact old age/health/death probably removed more than any change mentioned

The audience here in the Midwest skews older.  In Indy, too.  I see very few 20 or 30 somethings at shows and I go to quite a few. 

I clearly don’t want to see woodwinds incorporated any more than what is already available. That would be, used as an addition to the pit. My thinking is, any Proposal for more extensive use of woodwinds is, in reality, being driven by instrument manufacturers and suppliers. 

We in the Peanut Gallery can only watch/not watch were this goes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this has been said with all of the other changes, and look at the growth the last 10 years.

don't get me wrong...i do not want woodwinds. sadly dci has made me realize they're gonna do what they're gonna do, my feelings be ######

what are you judging as "growth?"

128>135>150>154?  Certainly not the number of competing units?  Probably not the number of paid attendees at championships (vs. Buffalo, Boston, Montreal; ok, more than Florida.)

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

from what i cold tell, BOA doesn't even draw a DCI sized crowd...and thats with all of the non finalist bands in the seats

Wait, really?  Wow, I didn't know or expect that!  

Hmm... worth pondering while I'm sharpening my pitchfork tines.

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hockey Dad is 100% correct. I would estimate that about 90% of the folks who I marched with and am still in contact with, have completely abandoned the drum corps activity. We go to maybe one show every few years and see very few old faces in the crowd and hardly any corps jackets. Mostly bandos and their Family.

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Hockey Dad is 100% correct. I would estimate that about 90% of the folks who I marched with and am still in contact with, have completely abandoned the drum corps activity. We go to maybe one show every few years and see very few old faces in the crowd and hardly any corps jackets. Mostly bandos and their Family.

Not to be that guy, but if you go one show every year or two, you haven't abandoned it. 

And the kids at all corps, even your Scouts the last 20 years, are, by definition, 'bandos', since they almost all have marching band backgrounds.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1