Disturbing DCI rumors

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yeah if they want to place 25th

would be interesting to see how the judges react

12 hours ago, Poppycock said:

It’s a lot more difficult to be creative without props. It’s monkey see monkey do with original thought being the exception.

Look no further than WGI where hundreds of participating units are like one another, then there’s that one original idea that surfaces from the midst of all the boring and another trend begins until the next original idea. 

t’s a lot more difficult to be creative without props. It’s monkey see monkey do with original thought being the exception.   EXACTLY!!!!!   Talent.  Why bother with that when there are so many crutches to disguise the lack of.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Kathy Black 

pr a couple other people who would be thrilled.

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

My own guess is they would change Brass Performance to Wind Performance. I doubt there would be a separate WW judge. 

Oh but then there would be.a bunch of ###### off people because the WWs are not getting the attention they deserve..  lol

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

You should join us 

Not sure you're within driving distance of Baltimore. LOL

Anyone else catch last nights Simpsons? Lisa wonders why she needs braces... then she starts playing her sax and the mouthpiece pushes her top front teeth out of alignment. Made me think of this topic...😆

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Uh. No. Neither will Wisconsin. Why?  Because they know who they are. DCI used to know. Not anymore, as the rush to full bando is on. Step, Kick!  Step, Kick

OK, I will chime in with this comment.  The reason I chose UW-Whitewater instead of UW-Madison for college had quite a bit to do with Drum Corps style shows vs. Big Ten Picture shows.  I was extremely frustrated with my high school marching band marching to a picture, playing a song; march to another picture, play another song.  That is what got me into drum corps in the first place back in the 70s.  The fact that it was all brass and percussion musically, made it all that more unique and attractive to me.

Now we are looking at the serious consideration of marching woodwinds in drum corps.  Like so many of you, this is dangerously close to a bridge too far for me.  Many of you know that I have hosted corps for years during the season.  I fear that there are many others like me, seriously considering a departure from the activity.  I can go see a marching band at any local high school or college.  Drum Corps is unique and many travel hundreds of miles just to see a single drum corps show.  I seriously doubt they will travel the same just to go see another marching band show.

:soapbox:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, EricS said:

would be interesting to see how the judges react

see Madison 2019

16 hours ago, MPutnam said:

If woodwinds are allowed, will there be a woodwind caption award? Who would the trophy be named after? 😄

There is not a separate caption for the front ensemble, and many of the instruments used in the pit are not percussion. It probably depends on how much woodwinds are used. I do not want to see woodwinds in drum corps. I was not thrilled to see trombones, concert French horns, or sousaphones allowed either. At the time of the rule change some predicted these would play a far more prominent role than has been the case. Even if the rule change passes, I do not foresee woodwinds taking over.