Disturbing DCI rumors

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

There is not a separate caption for the front ensemble, and many of the instruments used in the pit are not percussion. It probably depends on how much woodwinds are used. I do not want to see woodwinds in drum corps. I was not thrilled to see trombones, concert French horns, or sousaphones allowed either. At the time of the rule change some predicted these would play a far more prominent role than has been the case. Even if the rule change passes, I do not foresee woodwinds taking over.

I actually like the sound of trombones. It’s more edgy than baritone and actually works very well in some cases.  They really don’t look that good marching around on the field though.    

• Like 2

To paint with the broadest of brushes, nobody on this forum will ever like any sort of change. Many still post on here only for the sake of griping about 2020 (or the activity in whatever the present happens to be). 

To me, the questions that should be asked are: What do 18-year-olds think? What will the members of 2025 or 2030 or 2035 think? Do we envision them choosing to participate in this activity because woodwinds are involved? Will it be easier to field summer groups (soundsport, open class, world class, any other kinds of ensembles) if woodwinds are allowed? It should be remembered that it is and will be THEIR (young people) activity, and DCI should keep the future of the activity in mind based on what THEY want. 

I'm 40. It doesn't matter what I think. And not just from the "DCI will do what it wants" perspective (as Jeff is 100% right about), but also from the "why should DCI care what I think?" perspective. Maybe there's a lull in attendance because some of you won't buy tickets, and maybe that lasts 4-5 years. But then maybe it picks back up again. Maybe even more folks will (eventually) be interested in the activity. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I actually like the sound of trombones. It’s more edgy than baritone and actually works very well in some cases.  They really don’t look that good marching around on the field though.    

Bring back tenor Baritone bugles as they sound close to the trombone sound...

of course they haven’t been used since the 1950s but eh....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

To paint with the broadest of brushes, nobody on this forum will ever like any sort of change. Many still post on here only for the sake of griping about 2020 (or the activity in whatever the present happens to be). 

To me, the questions that should be asked are: What do 18-year-olds think? What will the members of 2025 or 2030 or 2035 think? Do we envision them choosing to participate in this activity because woodwinds are involved? Will it be easier to field summer groups (soundsport, open class, world class, any other kinds of ensembles) if woodwinds are allowed? It should be remembered that it is and will be THEIR (young people) activity, and DCI should keep the future of the activity in mind based on what THEY want. 

I'm 40. It doesn't matter what I think. And not just from the "DCI will do what it wants" perspective (as Jeff is 100% right about), but also from the "why should DCI care what I think?" perspective. Maybe there's a lull in attendance because some of you won't buy tickets, and maybe that lasts 4-5 years. But then maybe it picks back up again. Maybe even more folks will (eventually) be interested in the activity. 

But since DCI does no actual research you don’t know what the young people want. Perhaps they love it for the very same reasons that hooked us not young people, among them being the brass sound. Would that be much of a stretch?  I don’t think so. Are you presuming the young people are gaga for woodwinds?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 2

Let’s face it, DCI sees its fan future as family and friends of people marching that year with a few legacy fans $till hanging in. So match what MBs are doing so potential members (for that year) will be interested and bring the family/friends along for the ride. Next year stir with a revolving door and repeat...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

But since DCI does no actual research you don’t know what the young people want. Perhaps they love it for the very same reasons that hooked us not young people, among them being the brass sound. Would that be much of a stretch?  I don’t think so. Are you presuming the young people are gaga for woodwinds?

I presume nothing. In fact, I clearly posed them as questions. I can't answer them, and I'm positive you can't either.

You, however, seem to be presuming DCI does no "actual research."

Is it a stretch that young people enjoy drum corps for the same reasons you did? It's not a stretch. It is, though, a stretch to assume that those that are 50+ and posting on a message board automatically have the answers for a youth-driven activity.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I presume nothing. In fact, I clearly posed them as questions. I can't answer them, and I'm positive you can't either.

You, however, seem to be presuming DCI does no "actual research."

Is it a stretch that young people enjoy drum corps for the same reasons you did? It's not a stretch. It is, though, a stretch to assume that those that are 50+ and posting on a message board automatically have the answers for a youth-driven activity.

How dare people post opinions on a forum

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

i wish they'd do more than glissandos for the sake of glissandos

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Your point is noted, but that corps had issues beyond a design stuck in the 80s.

performance got it to where it did