Disturbing DCI rumors

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i wish they'd do more than glissandos for the sake of glissandos

I want a true Bass Trombone part on the field.. Like Bob Minzter's Computer Bass Trombone. Like Clifton Williams's Symphonic Dance No 3 Bass Trombone...

Has anyone noticed that the person with the screen name of "inbetween" reacts to everything with a "laughing" emoticon?

I wonder if he or she works for the CIA or NSA, and knows something we don't. :tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Let me ask this question.  How many of you have been to a "local" marching band competition outside of Texas, California or Indiana? I state this as someone that has gone to many competitions throughout the Mid-Atlantic over the years. A day long competition tends to be broken up into multiple segments.  The smaller classes in the morning/early afternoon and the larger classes in the evening.  Even regional shows tend to fall into this same break-out of classes.

Most of the "Marching Band" shows I have been to over the past couple decades have two groups of fans.  The first group of the fans tends to be the parents of whatever band is performing at the time.  The second group are all the band students that have already performed and are waiting for scores.  If you doubt me, go to a competition right before the first group of scores are announced and watch the mass exodus once the score are announced. They don't return and the sequence starts all over for the next group of classes.

"Drum Corps" shows tend to draw a different fan base. This fan base includes alumni as well as fans of Drum Corps.  Many spend some time in the parking lot and then go to the stadium for the entire show.  They tend to drive longer distances, stay for the entire show and spend more money.  Often these fans have no ties whatsoever to the competing corps they are going to see at the local competition.  That is what makes Drum Corps unique.  Once it becomes a marching band, it loses that uniqueness and subsequently, its fan base.  I have gone to many drum corps shows over the years that did not include a single corps I had any ties with whatsoever.  I can't say that I have ever been to a marching band show where none of my kids were marching or I had not taught at a competing school. 

I have driven or flown to dozens of drum corps competitions over the years.  I doubt I would do the same for a marching band competition when I can see them locally with schools I have taught at in the past.

As I stated earlier, you can see a marching band at any local competition.  The desire to go and see one that is the same thing, only cleaner is not as big a draw as going to something as unique as Drum Corps.

DCI is the absolute pinnacle of the marching arts. To me it has as many fans as it has because you cannot duplicate the amount of time and excellence that is portrayed on the field. It is a collection of the best talent from all of the marching bands across the country and everyone in the corps has the same goal, They are self-motivated and they want to be there. Something that is rare among most Marching bands across the country.

Adding 12 Woodwinds will not change the excellence, the core essence of the Ensemble sonority will remain the same. The Taste level of the designers will stay the same.

IMO you are paying money to see the best Designers in the business, present the best ideas, with the most talented group of Kids available in the Country, 

Think of it as ALL-Star Marching Bands. Only the best of the best make it and only the best of ideas are presented.

BOA only has a portion of this equation, They have the best designers. Not the best Talent.

Take the best HS Trumpet player in the country, He would be at best, an Average College-aged Trumpet player, Same for Percussionist. 

If there was ever a College Marching band that wasn't just a Football  halftime entertainment vehicle and played legitimate Music, Rehearsed more than 8 hours a week and had a state-of-the-art Designer then you would have an accurate comparison to compare but that simply does not exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Adding 12 Woodwinds will not change the excellence, the core essence of the Ensemble sonority will remain the same. The Taste level of the designers will stay the same.

If the “ensemble sonority” isn’t changed then there is no reason to add 12 woodwinds. Which is why this is Not what’s going to happen. There is no point in adding something that can’t be heard. If the rules are changed to allow woodwinds, corps will add, and mic, the woodwinds. You will hear them. The sound will change. Otherwise there is no point to having them out there in the first place. Additionally, concerning the excellence argument. An excellent summer marching band is still just a marching band. Nothing to set it apart. Oh yeah - excellence. Maybe they can emote better or contort while playing, what we call “simultaneous demand” to make it seem so awesome and hard. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

DCI is the absolute pinnacle of the marching arts. To me it has as many fans as it has because you cannot duplicate the amount of time and excellence that is portrayed on the field. It is a collection of the best talent from all of the marching bands across the country and everyone in the corps has the same goal, They are self-motivated and they want to be there. Something that is rare among most Marching bands across the country.

IMO you are paying money to see the best Designers in the business, present the best ideas, with the most talented group of Kids available in the Country, 

Think of it as ALL-Star Marching Bands. Only the best of the best make it and only the best of ideas are presented.

BOA only has a portion of this equation, They have the best designers. Not the best Talent.

Take the best HS Trumpet player in the country, He would be at best, an Average College-aged Trumpet player, Same for Percussionist. 

If there was ever a College Marching band that wasn't just a Football  halftime entertainment vehicle and played legitimate Music, Rehearsed more than 8 hours a week and had a state-of-the-art Designer then you would have an accurate comparison to compare but that simply does not exist.

Ok so DCI is moving to be the ultimate in marching arts and moving to be more and more like marching band. 

How much does being the “ultimate” matter if one is not a fan of marching bands?

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Additionally, concerning the excellence argument. An excellent summer marching band is still just a marching band. Nothing to set it apart. Oh yeah - excellence. Maybe the can emote better or contort while playing, what we call “simultaneous demand” to make it soon so awesome and hard. 

There is nothing special about emoting, posing or fluttering from set to set. There is nothing special about pushing, pulling, standing or climbing props. There is nothing special about being like a marching band. 

Edited by Poppycock

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok so DCI is moving to be the ultimate in marching arts and moving to be more and more like marching band. 

How much does being the “ultimate” matter if one is not a fan of marching bands?

I'd still be a fan. I won't be alone. Again I think that DCI wants to improve its Quality to have access to more fans. Fans not of tradition but of entertainment. 

Adding WW's does not immediately increase entertainment, but it does increase the quality of the musicianship.

That is to say that the 80th most talented Brass player (Third Baritones, Third Sops, Alternate instrument Tubas) will not be as talented on their instrument as the best Woodwind Player is on theirs. Adding talent from all available Talent Pools will increase the overall Talent and Musicianship on the field. 

And in the long run increase the level of music that the designers can use.

10 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I'd still be a fan. I won't be alone. Again I think that DCI wants to improve its Quality to have access to more fans. Fans not of tradition but of entertainment. 

Adding WW's does not immediately increase entertainment, but it does increase the quality of the musicianship.

That is to say that the 80th most talented Brass player (Third Baritones, Third Sops, Alternate instrument Tubas) will not be as talented on their instrument as the best Woodwind Player is on theirs. Adding talent from all available Talent Pools will increase the overall Talent and Musicianship on the field. 

And in the long run increase the level of music that the designers can use.

Hope you enjoy and the activity continues... but you haven’t answered my question

My point is imo people follow something because they LIKE watching the activity more than because it is the “ultimate” in something. Least I’ve never heard of anyone going to an event they really didn’t like because it was “excellent” or “the ultimate “

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Is this because DCI receives no money from anyone over the age of 21?  I think, more than any other motivation, DCI is all about the money. They package it as being all about the kids. 

very cynical comment but close to true