Disturbing DCI rumors

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Its a fact that there are more WW players than Brass players in most if not all Scholastic Band programs across the country.

Which proves what, exactly?

DCI's potential Membership base could be increased by that many members with the reversal of one simple rule. 

Sorry, but that rule change does nothing to facilitate an additional 337,000 people to march DCI.  For that, you need more ensembles. 

DCI is clearly not interested in growing the number of ensembles in WC or OC.  They only want to grow SoundSport.  But woodwinds are already allowed there, so no rule change is required.

I'd say it provides facts that highlight the need, want, and argument that DCI has to allow the potential of membership to be opened to these new individuals, 

DCI is already open to them.  They told us so themselves years ago.

https://www.dci.org/news/these-woodwind-players-do-drum-corps-and-so-can-you

There is also the SoundSport division, where woodwinds are already allowed. 

without the hurdles and logistical nightmares that would normally encounter a WoodWind player learning a second instrument.

When did learning new skills become a BAD thing?

Phase One:  Add woodwinds

Phase Two: ............ what’s phase two?

Phase Three:  Profit !!!!!

I just learned that a woodwind player having to learn a brass instrument is a “nightmare”.  Wow. I never knew. Life sure is hard today. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then you should take another look at the posts here, or on DCI Facebook... or better yet, the DCI group on reddit... and see the reason for all this.  

People like drum corps because of the unique brass/percussion sound.  Not just olde phartes, but current MMs and their peer group.  Marching band kids - not just the brass players and drummers, but woodwind musicians too - tell us in so many words that the unique brass/percussion-centric sound matters to them.  

Who knew?

Even filters down to parade/concert (aka alumni type corps). When I was in had some young people join because they wanted to do “something different “. Some were DCI savvy and joining that was a dream and some were happy with part timing it as fit their life.

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

I just learned that a woodwind player having to learn a brass instrument is a “nightmare”.  Wow. I never knew. Life sure is hard today. 

You did? Can you show evidence of the term that you yourself put in quotations to suggest that it was actually used?

"Life sure is hard today" couldn't be better evidence that the crowd spewing "that's not how it used to be" kinds of remarks from a computer shouldn't be dictating what those participating in a youth activity should and shouldn't like.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Its a fact that there are more WW players than Brass players in most if not all Scholastic Band programs across the country.

DCI's potential Membership base could be increased by that many members with the reversal of one simple rule. I'd say it provides facts that highlight the need, want, and argument that DCI has to allow the potential of membership to be opened to these new individuals, without the hurdles and logistical nightmares that would normally encounter a WoodWind player learning a second instrument.

The belief there are more woodwind players than brass players is not relevant. There is a practical reason why many programs have more woodwinds. Clarinets and flutes are less expensive than other instruments. I can tell you from experience that parents are pragmatic when it comes to choosing instruments. They want a child to have music lessons but know it’s also realistic the child will lose interest. 

Regarding “hurdles” of learning a second instrument, motivated high school students love hurdles. Football and soccer players give up countless hours and vacation time for captain’s practices, and I’m willing to bet the same holds true with cross country and field hockey. If you are taking Advanced Placement English, you will probably be reading 4-7 novels by authors such as Dickens, Melville, Cooper, and Austen. 

Adding woodwinds will make Drum corps available to more young people? It could if the number of marching members in a corps increases and that is not a given. If corps size is not increased, actually more people will be rejected from marching. Also, not every corps will use woodwinds and it is unlikely DCI will have a rule requiring that corps include woodwinds. 

32 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

without the hurdles and logistical nightmares that would normally encounter a WoodWind player learning a second instrument.

Hyperbolic nonsense. Utter fantasy. It is no more a nightmare to learn a brass instrument as a woodwind player than it is to initially learn a woodwind instrument.

This is a non-argument. Stop it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

In the spirit of miles davis.." So What"

It matters to the Directors, It matters to DCI Board, It matters to the Manufacturers, and sponsors.

Companies fight and crawl to get marketing exposure. For non-profits having a full deck of members means a healthy organization.

In the current model with capped membership. Lets say the corps add 10 WW to their ranks. The Corps decide to compensate, by having 4 less brass players, 3 less Pit Members and 3 less guard members. Those 10 individuals who would be marching in BD will now look to march in SCV. And on down the line Talented members who would marching in the Top Tier are now filtered down to the second tier. And from the Second tier down to the Third Tier. And into OC.

In the End the quality of the kids marching increases. Because you added the Talent pool of the Hundreds of Thousands of Potential members that didn't join because of the obstacles in their way. You also increase the number of members in the lower corps because you have less opportunities in the higher corps and if you want to march, you'll march at the lower corps to gain the experience you lacked to make it to the top corps.

This is model for Increased Sustainability, for continued success. For new Sponsorship opportunities for the WW market.