Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Phase One:  Add woodwinds

Phase Two: ............ what’s phase two?

Phase Three:  Profit !!!!!

raising to 200 plus maximum membership

50 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

It matters to the Directors, It matters to DCI Board, It matters to the Manufacturers, and sponsors.

Companies fight and crawl to get marketing exposure. For non-profits having a full deck of members means a healthy organization.

In the current model with capped membership. Lets say the corps add 10 WW to their ranks. The Corps decide to compensate, by having 4 less brass players, 3 less Pit Members and 3 less guard members. Those 10 individuals who would be marching in BD will now look to march in SCV. And on down the line Talented members who would marching in the Top Tier are now filtered down to the second tier. And from the Second tier down to the Third Tier. And into OC.

In the End the quality of the kids marching increases. Because you added the Talent pool of the Hundreds of Thousands of Potential members that didn't join because of the obstacles in their way. You also increase the number of members in the lower corps because you have less opportunities in the higher corps and if you want to march, you'll march at the lower corps to gain the experience you lacked to make it to the top corps.

This is model for Increased Sustainability, for continued success. For new Sponsorship opportunities for the WW market.

no those members will most likely walk if they don't get into their dream corps, because similar cuts will happen down the line

4 minutes ago, GBugler said:

I assume you are a music educator? If so, you should know the answers to these questions. Being versatile is an asset, not a nightmare as you so dramatically put it. You are simply trying to use hyperbole to strengthen some kind of case for discrimination against woodwind players by Drum Corps International.

I'm a bassoonist. I also marched DCI. I won I&E in a brass octet in 1993. I played Carnegie Hall under the baton of Harold Reynolds in 1999. I suspect that I am not a unicorn in this regard, as far as woodwinds who have enjoyed learning to properly play a brass instrument without having their technique suffer as a consequence. Band directors that I know (and I know tons) value versatility. It is the hallmark of a quality wind player. You make it sound like a #### disease.

Your premise in this regard is flawed and it has been flawed since your first post on the subject.

You assume that all DCI marchers want to be Music Educators. Some just want the enjoy the experience without all the hassles. The path of least resistance.

Efficiency. How do you get the maximum amount of potential marchers in your Member corps. You remove the barriers.

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

When you are playing the top echelon of Wind Band Lit. You need a diverse and textured instrumentation to have the sonority and blend that the piece calls for.

I assume you're talking about a drum corps playing top tier wind band lit? That is, and always has been, the responsibility of the arranger. It is their job to bring those sonorities out of the all-brass format. Adding woodwinds just makes it wind band, killing the unique nature of the all brass ensemble.

My experience, yes. And I'm sure that I'm not alone in that experience. By a lot.

17 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

logistical nightmares

Those who don't have valid arguments I find just seek to nitpick on technicalities and catch words to support to their "Jokes?/ Insults, idk" 

I just brought it to Hockey Dad’s attention.  

I don’t what you’re worried about.  It sounds like you’re going to get your woodwinds.  You can  probably take the campaign down a notch or two. 

38 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Where does the WW player get a brass instrument? What time? Will their WW playing suffer because they are not dedicating themselves to their main instrument? Probably.

Do Band Directors enjoy having their talented and rare Bassoon player give up on Bassoon because they want to march DCI? Nope they hate it, and this is probably why among a subset of Music educators there is a stigma around DCI.

Where there is a will there is a way and WW players in the past have had to sacrifice much more than their Native Brass playing colleagues to make it to DCI,  but this rule change would remove that hurdle. Everyone is on the same starting line to make it to DCI. (Woodwind players had to take two giant steps back off the starting line before to make it DCI.)

you do realize music majors are required to learn to play more instruments than their primary right? and we all know how DCI loves to crow about the number of music majors that march

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and DCI will suddenly innovate what woodwinds can do on a field in an awe jaw dropping way?

No, they'll do what we've seen done elsewhere. how may years of trombones and it's stll 95% glissando gimmickry?

*Boom!*

34 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Those Lower Tier WC and OC corps are all filled to capacity huh? Everyone in DCI is marching 155 up and down the field? Let me start browsing the reactions of the OC increasing the numbers to 55 and see how many hypocrites I can count.

An Actual version of Trickle Down Economics that could actually work.

you think the options of woodwinds will automatically fill the Surf's or Cascades of the world? you have research to back this? with the thousands of kids cut now they aren't getting filled.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MikeN said:

At the OC level, it just doesn't work like that.  Kids try out for the "name" corps they want, and if they don't make it, they don't trickle down - almost all of them just go home and are never heard from again.  In addition, there is no centralized "cut list" - it's purely based on the relationships between your caption head and other corps.  

The silent masses that we let pack up and go home are one of my biggest frustrations with the drum corps activity - these are kids that already took the first, biggest leap, and they just blow away with the wind at the end.  

Mike

this