Disturbing DCI rumors

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So they unwittingly bragged that they were unable to accommodate more than 6000 of the 7000 who tried out. Who’s being exclusionary again, such that addition of WW is so desperately needed?  So what - 10,000 can try out and over 9000 get cut?

i'd say more like 3000-3500

3 minutes ago, Crownie01 said:

Can confirm this as I learned mellophone in 3 months and got a contract into a WC corps. If you can’t make it into the corps you auditioned for first try that means you either didn’t practice well enough or it just wasn’t your year to march there.

Insert MikeN's quote about anecdotes...

9 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Insert MikeN's quote about anecdotes...

You got me there. 

46 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Those WW players that have marched DCI before are very worthy members and they did much more to earn their spots than the brass player had to do.

A classic example of how disingenuous so many of these arguments are.

No one emerges from the womb with the innate ability to play a brass instrument.  Both people had to learn that at some point.  Both people, therefore, had the exact same amount to do to earn their spots.

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is odd.  Pro-woodwind anecdotes fly right by you without objection.

Cool.

I'm not necessarily interested in a pro-woodwind argument, as I'm not pro-woodwind.

I'm necessarily interested in claims akin to "I did it, so can they" or "I don't want woodwinds in drum corps, so young people shouldn't either" or "textbooks are in schools so are woodwinds or something I don't know what I'm talking about I'm a boomer." I find these to be poor arguments. 

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, like SoundSport.  You know, they allow woodwinds in SoundSport already.  This is the answer to all your dreams!

You are equating Soundsport to being in, say, the Blue Devils?   😳

i doubt many people would equate them. But feel free.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A classic example of how disingenuous so many of these arguments are.

No one emerges from the womb with the innate ability to play a brass instrument.  Both people had to learn that at some point.  Both people, therefore, had the exact same amount to do to earn their spots.

pretty sure i was drumming in the womb

• Haha 2