Disturbing DCI rumors

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize music majors are required to learn to play more instruments than their primary right? and we all know how DCI loves to crow about the number of music majors that march

Then to be fair, the brass players should have to play a WW instrument. A lot of one-way onus put on the WW players in this. 

Just now, MikeD said:

Then to be fair, the brass players should have to play a WW instrument. A lot of one-way onus put on the WW players in this. 

they can at college.

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You and Jim.  😂 

and Sadie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GBugler said:

100% wrong, and that would be idiocy. I assume that any kid who wanted the DCI brass experience would take the time required to learn to properly play a brass instrument. It's not the blood-letting, hand-wringing sacrifice you are making it out to be. It just is not.

But if they want a DCI WW experience all they need to do is wait until they are legalized. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GBugler said:

I assume you're talking about a drum corps playing top tier wind band lit? That is, and always has been, the responsibility of the arranger. It is their job to bring those sonorities out of the all-brass format. Adding woodwinds just makes it wind band, killing the unique nature of the all brass ensemble.

My experience, yes. And I'm sure that I'm not alone in that experience. By a lot.

No I was referring to my HS Band Director that is commonly playing Maslanka, Gillingham, Mackey and other top Wind Lit. that calls for the spectrum of instrumentation in their Wind pieces.

They need talented musicians in all of the instrumentation called for to get the right blend and ensemble sonority that the piece calls for. For this scenario A talented Double Reed Musician is prized and rare compared to the Brass musician.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they can at college.

Back to MikeD's argument: people are drawn to DCI for excellence. 

College marching bands can be okay, but they don't represent a world (or possibly open) class level of excellence.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize music majors are required to learn to play more instruments than their primary right? and we all know how DCI loves to crow about the number of music majors that march

Yes and I'm saying that for a brass player to join DCI they don't have to aspire to be a Music Major.

Why would a WW musician need to justify learning a second instrument with "Hey now you have a head start on your Music ED Degree" When most that enjoy the lessons learned in DCI don't end up being a Music Majors.

This rule Change would put WW's on even ground with everyone else. Equal achievements needed to make it to DCI. 

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Back to MikeD's argument: people are drawn to DCI for excellence. 

College marching bands can be okay, but they don't represent a world (or possibly open) class level of excellence.

Weird, then, isn’t it, that so many more people do college marching bands than do dci. I guess they didn’t get the memo that it’s all about excellence. 

• Like 1