Disturbing DCI rumors

10 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

No I was referring to my HS Band Director that is commonly playing Maslanka, Gillingham, Mackey and other top Wind Lit. that calls for the spectrum of instrumentation in their Wind pieces.

They need talented musicians in all of the instrumentation called for to get the right blend and ensemble sonority that the piece calls for. For this scenario A talented Double Reed Musician is prized and rare compared to the Brass musician.

Part of the appeal of drum corps is to hear how some of the wind music gets arranged for brass on a football field. If I want to hear wind music verbatim as written I’ll check out a concert at the auditorium. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Weird, then, isn’t it, that so many more people do college marching bands than do dci. I guess they didn’t get the memo that it’s all about excellence. 

COLLEGE MARCHING BANDS ALLOW WOODWINDS! They can naturally be bigger.

My argument is that college marching band isn't a suitable substitute for DCI. That woodwinds can just go play in college and get the same experience.

Also, college marching bands require far less financial (both cost and opportunity cost) and time commitment. College music programs require participation in ensembles, which could include marching band. And they get to go to football games which can be a big draw for quite a few bands. 

But sure.

Edited by kdaddy

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

You assume that all DCI marchers want to be Music Educators. Some just want the enjoy the experience without all the hassles. The path of least resistance.

Efficiency. How do you get the maximum amount of potential marchers in your Member corps. You remove the barriers.

Winner!  Everyone who auditions gets in! No cuts allowed based on talent!  Rookie who just picked up drum sticks for the very first time - Blue Devils here I come!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and DCI will suddenly innovate what woodwinds can do on a field in an awe jaw dropping way?

No, they'll do what we've seen done elsewhere. how may years of trombones and it's stll 95% glissando gimmickry?

Yes I do actually,. I think they will maximize the impact that a WW ensemble can make, Getting a full WW Blend into the sonority using only 8-12 WW's. I think they will solve the "I can't hear the woodwinds" problem by using technology and individual Micing. I think I'll finally see a Ripping Jazz Saxophone section ripping a Big Band chart for a Ballad. (I'm thinking BD does this)

I think Jazz will actually sound like Jazz on the field.

And I think Bluecoats did a pretty good job with their Trombone soloist last year during the Closer in their show last year.

Edited by Glenn426

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Part of the appeal of drum corps is to hear how some of the wind music gets arranged for brass on a football field. If I want to hear wind music verbatim as written I’ll check out a concert at the auditorium. 

Would the wind literature not have to be arranged for a drum corps that also used woodwind instrumentation? If you give Crown woodwinds, they will not be playing the wind literature verbatim.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you think the options of woodwinds will automatically fill the Surf's or Cascades of the world? you have research to back this? with the thousands of kids cut now they aren't getting filled.

I think the displaced Brass players that are in the higher corps will make their way to the lower corps. And locally those Lower Tiered WC and OC corps can open up their recruiting to 100% of their local HS and College Bands. 

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

COLLEGE MARCHING BANDS ALLOW WOODWINDS! 

Also, college marching bands require far less financial (both cost and opportunity cost) and time commitment. College music programs require participation in ensembles, which could include marching band. And they get to go to football games which can be a big draw for quite a few bands. 

But sure.

Unless mandated by the school, you find very few music majors participating in college marching bands. It’s beneath them is the vibe you generally get. 

But yeah, thanks for acknowledging that there are motivations beyond excellence for marching. That’s true in dci too. Once dci = marching bands, the “excellence” claim will be the only thing to hang your hat on.   

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

So “nightmares” is the noun and “logistical” is the adjective,  it amplifies the noun. It’s the noun that’s the point. You said it’s a nightmare. A logistical nightmare. You could add ... a big hairy logistical nightmare or any other qualifying words you like, but it’s a nightmare was your words. This is not a technicality. It’s basic ninth grade English. 

Man you can just hit ignore on my posts I got nothing to say to someone so convoluted in their own web of what you consider discussion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

I think the displaced Brass players that are in the higher corps will make their way to the lower corps. And locally those Lower Tiered WC and OC corps can open up their recruiting to 100% of their local HS and College Bands. 

Yes because since more members are cut from the higher corps that means they’ll go down to the lower corps...

Just now, Glenn426 said:

Man you can just hit ignore on my posts I got nothing to say to someone so convoluted in their own web of what you consider discussion.

You left out sonority