Disturbing DCI rumors

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Someone said "What I have in mind is not exactly drum corps as it currently stands. It's my idea of what this art form might eventually turn into."

I replied by mentioning SoundSport.

Where did you get Blue Devils from?

Soundsport is Parking lot Drum corps and DCI's sad attempt to give smaller corps/ groups a performance opportunity when really its beneath them.

If I where in the WGI Winds steering committee, I would be emailing every director of a Soundsport group and getting them to bring their group over to WGI Winds. Actual Competition and a worthy performance opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Again, Your experience. MY director that I worked with had on several occassions a Talented WW member that switched to Brass after Sophomore year and left him scrambling to build up another Bassoon/ Contrabass Clarinet/ Oboe.

When you are playing the top echelon of Wind Band Lit. You need a diverse and textured instrumentation to have the sonority and blend that the piece calls for.

Yup, my experience.  I've been privy to a lot of discussions with band directors *from the corps side.*  I feel pretty confident in saying that WW's Spending Time on Brass does not make the pie chart of reasons band directors don't like DCI.

Mike

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Buuuut... some see the one (age) and assume the other (state of mind)

Sir, I suspect you are older than me, and I have found your opinion to be extremely valuable. Perhaps because I don't see "the other" in your opinions.

2 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Soundsport is Parking lot Drum corps and DCI's sad attempt to give smaller corps/ groups a performance opportunity when really its beneath them.

If I where in the WGI Winds steering committee, I would be emailing every director of a Soundsport group and getting them to bring their group over to WGI Winds. Actual Competition and a worthy performance opportunity. 

SoundSport is the DCI any-instrument division.  If that is how you feel about it -

1.  We should be concerned that "Any Instrument Policy" will cause OC and WC to be viewed with the same derision you hold for SoundSport.

2.  If DCI is as sad as you say, maybe you are better off directing your attention to WGI Winds.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

SoundSport is the DCI any-instrument division.  If that is how you feel about it -

1.  We should be concerned that "Any Instrument Policy" will cause OC and WC to be viewed with the same derision you hold for SoundSport.

2.  If DCI is as sad as you say, maybe you are better off directing your attention to WGI Winds.

Soundsport is performed on a flimsly tarp normally in a courtyard with no stands, no judging, nothing compared to what DCI offers in their other venues. On occassion they drag out two drumlines to have a "Drum Battle" give me a break.

Similiar to HockeyDad, you can cut out snippets of a discussion to suit your needs but if you're not going to be genuine in your discussion hit that ignore button.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Soundsport is performed on a flimsly tarp normally in a courtyard with no stands, no judging, nothing compared to what DCI offers in their other venues. On occassion they drag out two drumlines to have a "Drum Battle" give me a break.

Similiar to HockeyDad, you can cut out snippets of a discussion to suit your needs but if your not going to be genuine in your discussion hit that ignore button.

They had Soundsport inside with bleachers when I went in 2018.  Drum line battle was outside with bleachers.  In Indy. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

20 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Nope. The starting points are not the same. The WW Player started two steps back from the Brass player.

False.  They started in the same place.  Then one chose to learn a brass instrument, and the other chose to learn a woodwind instrument.

In a 100M Race. The Brass player ran 100M. The WW Player Ran 110M. From the moment that they started learning a WW instrument in MS they took two steps away from reaching the goal of marching in DCI. 

Nothing is stopping anyone from learning the skills that drum corps utilizes.  In fact, the WW player has taken two steps toward that goal by learning music, and (if in a marching band) learning marching.

Now, the kids who chose football, soccer, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, staying home playing video games, etc. - what about them?

Allowing WW in on their own instrument, Everyone will have to run the same 100M to reach their goal. 

And what will be next?  Kids who stay in concert band need a fairer chance against the ones who joined marching band, so eliminate marching and set up chairs on the field?

7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Similiar to HockeyDad, you can cut out snippets of a discussion to suit your needs but if you're not going to be genuine in your discussion hit that ignore button.

SS groups are treated pretty good at the regionals - definitely not like that.

Mike

7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Drumline Battle is a different program.

SoundSport event formats vary quite a bit.  They often perform on the same field that the drum corps use.