Disturbing DCI rumors

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the only true impact a woodwind ensemble can make that hasn't been seen to date is to build a bonfire and torch it

I may have told this story before, but in 2007 I played with a mini corps that performed for the Bluecoats during their dinner break.  We weren't very good, and they weren't very interested.  Until during our final piece when we pulled out a trash can, a clarinet and lighter fluid. 

Oh yes we did. 

We got a standing ovation from the kids for that one.

Mike

• Like 6

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

scholastic groups that don't need alumni as donation sources and paying customers to survive

There's plenty of Independent Groups in WGI. They don't have affiliations to any Scholastic entity. 

Point taken on BOA.

8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So the argument by some is "hey WW's we like you. But hey you can go perform in the Park. Or the Bleachers. That's your home. That's where you belong." 

Absolutely not. The argument is - let’s not turn all musical groups into the same thing. There is room for string ensembles and pianos and orchestras and wind ensembles and marching bands..... and brass bands we call drum corps. They don’t need to be “fixed” by making them all be the same. 

I think what’s really going on here is this:

Problem statement - we need more income 

Solution - add woodwinds to get more bodies, package it as being inclusive, you know, “for the kids”

Will this change produce the desired effect (more $)?  Stay tuned. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

I may have told this story before, but in 2007 I played with a mini corps that performed for the Bluecoats during their dinner break.  We weren't very good, and they weren't very interested.  Until during our final piece when we pulled out a trash can, a clarinet and lighter fluid. 

Oh yes we did. 

We got a standing ovation from the kids for that one.

Mike

who said current members don't get it?

but like with youth athletics, it's usually the adults that #### everything up

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

There's plenty of Independent Groups in WGI. They don't have affiliations to any Scholastic entity. 

Point taken on BOA.

WGI was never set up like DCI. and when independent groups there try to go in weird directions, it usually doesnt work out so well

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

provide data to back up your theory because reality shows otherwise. more potential kids don't guarantee those corps at the bottom will get the kids cut elsewhere

I don't have that Data. You also couldn't provide "data" to prove your assertion of reality.

As I stated earlier I know of three cases this past summer of kids migration from their dream corps to lower tiered corps after they didn't make the cut in their preferred corps. 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

WGI was never set up like DCI. and when independent groups there try to go in weird directions, it usually doesnt work out so well

Broken City and Onyx would like a word.

They both within the last ten years went on a tangent from what the Norm in the activity actually was, and both have been Crowned Champions and have, and continue to influence their respective idioms Inside and Outside of WGI. 

Tastemakers.

Heck Broken City changed how Drumlines are judged.

Edited by Glenn426

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Sir, I suspect you are older than me, and I have found your opinion to be extremely valuable. Perhaps because I don't see "the other" in your opinions.

Sorry that wasn’t pointed your way. Just trying to respond that I have seen a lot of it (mostly in real life)....

I’m 60+ working IT with people as young as college seniors (interns)...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry that wasn’t pointed your way. Just trying to respond that I have seen a lot of it (mostly in real life)....

I’m 60+ working IT with people as young as college seniors (interns)...

Ok boomer. 😂

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

who said current members don't get it?

but like with youth athletics, it's usually the adults that #### everything up

I read Little League Confidential when my young one started  in youth sports.  It was enlightening and your statement is spot on.