Disturbing DCI rumors

22 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The financial aspects of the concept haven't been explored in any meaningful way to address the central issue of sustainability. Bands with 200-250 performers have most of the infrastructural expenses of operations covered by their school districts. The band directors are paid for through tax dollars, their rehearsal facilities, etc, etc, are also covered by their school districts. If the average BOA program had to be self-sustaining, they'd never hit the field. 

Drum corps have to eat all of the expense of putting the product out there, and adding more members actually makes it more expensive to run their operations, not cheaper. As far as the central 'product' element of the discussion,  I'd like to see the study that shows that DCI would sell another 10,000 seats on Finals night because BD all of sudden had a flute section. 

Very much sums up my standing at this point as well. Drum Corps is a different animal. I go to a DCI/DCA show to watch a drum corps, not a marching band. In my opinion, it would be like going to the zoo to see a lion and being presented with a house cat and being told that it's "basically the same thing....only smaller." Yes, technically, it's all a music ensemble that's moving...but it's not the same thing. I have a lot of respect for marching band (I'm pretty sure any of us who went on to march DCI or DCA can accept that marching band is where it all started for us.) But I can also see where the tradition makes it so very different. 

I would be fine with a small number of woodwinds attached to the front ensemble. That's where they would work best IMHO. They could be mic'd there and would fall into an "effect instrument." Why do we need it? That I just don't know. I cannot think of a single example of any show in the past where I thought to myself, "You know...I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is more piccolo."  

As many have said, the added expense of moving around a bunch more members would seem to be contrary to the member corps (and MM's themselves) financial stability. As Slingerland said, you just aren't going to get that extra 10K a#$@# in seats...period. And even if you DID get 10,000 extra "bando's" as we tend to call them, they would probably be sacrificed on the alter which will be erected just outside of the souvie booths as an appeasement to  the gods (I know my urge to choke out several of them at the only band show I went to this year was VERY strong when they screamed and talked through the entire show and then disrespected show's in which their children were not involved.)

I too would like to know more about what the actual proposal is and then what the actual INTENTION is of the member corps themselves. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would be fine with a small number of woodwinds attached to the front ensemble. That's where they would work best IMHO. They could be mic'd there and would fall into an "effect instrument." Why do we need it? That I just don't know. I cannot think of a single example of any show in the past where I thought to myself, "You know...I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is more piccolo."  

Once the camel gets its nose in the tent it’s all over. A “small number” of woodwinds wouldn’t satisfy anyone. On the positive side once it becomes full-on summer band, they can eliminate the DCI headquarters and staff and merge with BOA. That should cut some cost. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 3:19 PM, Fred Windish said:

Nothing would surprise me anymore in terms of drum corps’ evolution.  For a few years, I’ve been thinking a full-on merger with BOA will come.  Not intending to start yet another rumor, but such a move could easily be justified by those in charge these days.

More Inclusion of woodwinds is a given at this point, probably as soon as this Summer, I think. I’m willing to give anything a look, but am getting closer to my “drop off” point.

Well said...…. Getting close to that point also...… Next it will be wheeled harps and pianos in the pit

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

A funeral would be appropriate, and it would give closure.  Maybe show up at Lucas in our old uniforms (mine still fits) with black armbands, NATIONAL SQUADS, and play New Orleans jazz funeral dirges around a casket with “Drum and Bugle Corps” written on it.

1986 Spirit would be very appropriate LOL. Put a DCI flag on top of the contras. 

50 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very much sums up my standing at this point as well. Drum Corps is a different animal. I go to a DCI/DCA show to watch a drum corps, not a marching band. In my opinion, it would be like going to the zoo to see a lion and being presented with a house cat and being told that it's "basically the same thing....only smaller." Yes, technically, it's all a music ensemble that's moving...but it's not the same thing. I have a lot of respect for marching band (I'm pretty sure any of us who went on to march DCI or DCA can accept that marching band is where it all started for us.) But I can also see where the tradition makes it so very different. ...

I agree with the general tenor of your comments in full EXCEPT for the sentence you have in brackets; it denies the history of competitive drum corps since WWII. For many of us whose schools did not have instrumental music programs (or marching bands if at all, and that includes public schools especially in urban areas or  schools without football programs or otherwise) drum corps was the beginning of instrumental music not the end zenith after a stint in BOA or College marching bands. That is a major difference in drum corps today; read the histories of Boston (Most Precious Blood) Crusaders, Casper Troopers, (Holy Name, Garfield) Cadets, The Cavaliers, that is, the founding corps of DCI. Even BD started as a glockenspiel ("bell") and drums corps when the SCVs were the Sunnyvale Sparks (associated with a volunteer FD weren't they?) The history of the mms who became DCI and the history of the movement has changed. Unfortunately, those "deprived" kids in neighborhood, Div. 3 or lower corps, are now deprived of much chance in DCI (current or as "Woodwind corps") unless they are self-taught.

Carry on (but not carrion.) 

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Once the camel gets its nose in the tent it’s all over. A “small number” of woodwinds wouldn’t satisfy anyone. On the positive side once it becomes full-on summer band, they can eliminate the DCI headquarters and staff and merge with BOA. That should cut some cost. 

I get what you're saying. However, as I am sure most have realized, I am not one to be reactionary until I see what the actual trend is going to be. Having a small number of woodwinds in the pit, isn't going to impact my enjoyment of the activity. IF....if...it becomes flutes, piccolos and clarinets running amok in large numbers across the field, then  maybe I'll change my mind. 

20 hours ago, Lance said:

with bd having a violinist on the field and all, i wonder why they didn't change it to string orchestra and drum corps.

If that were to have happened, it probably would have been when Cadets had one a dozen years back or when Phantom did the "Red Violin" show. You are showing your youth.

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

agree with the general tenor of your comments in full EXCEPT for the sentence you have in brackets; it denies the history of competitive drum corps since WWII. For many of us whose schools did not have instrumental music programs (or marching bands if at all, and that includes public schools especially in urban areas or  schools without football programs or otherwise) drum corps was the beginning of instrumental music not the end zenith after a stint in BOA or College marching bands. That is a major difference in drum corps today; read the histories of Boston (Most Precious Blood) Crusaders, Casper Troopers, (Holy Name, Garfield) Cadets, The Cavaliers, that is, the founding corps of DCI. Even BD started as a glockenspiel ("bell") and drums corps when the SCVs were the Sunnyvale Sparks (associated with a volunteer FD weren't they?) The history of the mms who became DCI and the history of the movement has changed. Unfortunately, those "deprived" kids in neighborhood, Div. 3 or lower corps, are now deprived of much chance in DCI (current or as "Woodwind corps") unless they are self-taught.

Carry on (but not carrion.

Oh I can absolutely see that. I think we sometimes see our experience through the color of our own lens. I came up in the mid 80's so it was somewhat removed from the days which you speak of already. I'm glad that there are folks to remind us of the history that was there before the history we ourselves made. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

This^^^.  They won’t be putting the toothpaste back into the tube.