2019 DCI Blu-ray is availble for pre-order

Hafe

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

####, no Gabriel's. i understand why but....####

Jeff, is there something special about the licensing issues with this piece that made securing rights more difficult, or are you just referring to licensing, in general?

I remember seeing Gabriel’s Oboe on a “forbidden” list put out by BOA or CopyCat licensing a few years ago, basically telling bands that it could not be used in their shows when applying for performance licensing, arranging, etc.  That obviously changed since Crown was able to secure performance and arranging licenses...but, the sync license must have been either denied to DCI outright, or it was astronomical in cost forcing DCI to cut it.  It would be interesting to know the facts.  I believe BMG holds the rights to that tune.  

7 hours ago, runyancm said:

Jeff, is there something special about the licensing issues with this piece that made securing rights more difficult, or are you just referring to licensing, in general?

i dont know the specifucs but i know getting dvd rights is harder

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont know the specifucs but i know getting dvd rights is harder

Yeah, okay.  Won't rehash the frustration of this topic, except to say ... bummer.

On the positive side, I am relieved that there were only two selections omitted.  Was concerned about potential rights issues with some of the other top tier shows, BD and Bloo in particular.  Thanks to DCI for getting those and all the rest taken care of.   (Trying to stay positive during the holiday season.   🎅🤶)

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

####, no Gabriel's. i understand why but....####

Other Morricone pieces have gotten through without a problem, so I'm wondering if has to do with the producers of the film withholding permission (it's soundtrack music in its original incarnation).

I should run for congress on a platform of fixing these #### copyright issues. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, FaustianMachine said:

On the topic of Blu-Rays, I wonder if DCI is going to release a Decades collection like they did for 00-09 since they have 10-19 all in stock and all on Blu-Ray

The supposed advantage of releasing the pre-2009 shows on Blu-rays was for the video resolution that was superior to DVD. DCI may feel that there is no technical benefit for the consumer to redundantly release shows already available in Blu-ray.