Mulan 2...two thoughts

1. You know you’re a hopeless drum corps fan when you watch the trailer for a movie and all you can think about is how awesome it would be if Santa Clara Vanguard played the theme song in their 2020 show...

Mulan 2 trailer

2. I have recently wondered if it might be both marketing genius and a financial windfall if a corps did a show about new movie or play that was either upcoming or just recently released. Phantom doing Mulan 2 would be infinitely better than the tired rehash stuff they’ve done of late.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Haha 1

The amount of rights hurdles they would have to go through to play that music the same years it’s released might not be worth the struggle. Plus, you’re dealing with Disney, who is extremely guarded with intellectual property, especially those pieces that have just been released and are actively being marketed (disclaimer: I used to work for Disney in marketing and have experience with this - it’s a great idea that would probably need to wait about 3 years)

I get it, but if I were the head of marketing for Mulan 2, how awesome would it be to have a World Class corps play a show that promotes the movie all summer long? Imagine Mandarins doing this show. Or Phantom. Or even SCV. 

Edited by MikeRapp

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I get it, but if I were the head of marketing for Mulan 2, how awesome would it be to have a World Class corps play a show that promotes the movie all summer long? Imagine Mandarins doing this show. Or Phantom. Or even SCV. 

Even if the licensing could be worked out, Disney would probably demand pretty stringent oversight of the design and arrangements.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Even if the licensing could be worked out, Disney would probably demand pretty stringent oversight of the design and arrangements.

That truism said, however, it's also true that drum corps is a known quantity to Disney so their perceived "unknown risk" of such a venture is somewhat limited compared to, say, a marching band from Oklahoma.

Doable.  I actually think it's a terrific idea.  Imagine the live marketing in front of their target audience all summer.  Someone at BD was smart enough to get Brandon on CBS News.  "Sounds Crazy, Might Work" applies to drum corps combined balance sheet now more than ever.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

That truism said, however, it's also true that drum corps is a known quantity to Disney so their perceived "unknown risk" of such a venture is somewhat limited compared to, say, a marching band from Oklahoma.

I guess I generally wouldn't disagree with this, but it makes me wonder what conversations between The Cadets and the Bernstein family (or whatever it is) prior to the 2017 season. I'm sure GH went in saying that the Cadets are 10 time champs, perennial top 3 finishers, and Bernstein enthusiasts. So it would seem like a known commodity, but the final product wouldn't suggest that.

And while the originally negotiated follow on Bernstein show in 2018 fell through reportedly due to one of the negotiating parties leaving the NY Phil, I wonder if the Bernstein family saw the Cadets product and weren't interested anyway.

11 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

a head of marketing probably has no idea what a world class drum corps is

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a head of marketing probably has no idea what a world class drum corps is

I am reminded of the reaction of David Byrne (acclaimed musician of Talking Heads fame) upon learning there was a thing called winter guard, when a group wrote him asking for permission to use a recording of his music for their show. He thought: this visual work is amazing, but it ought to be set to live music.

21 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

2. I have recently wondered if it might be both marketing genius and a financial windfall if a corps did a show about new movie or play that was either upcoming or just recently released. Phantom doing Mulan 2 would be infinitely better than the tired rehash stuff they’ve done of late.

Reminds me when Meco came out with Disco Star Wars and hit top 40. He followed up with an album called Time Machine/Close Encounters that tanked and about killed his career. 

Sure enough our corps tried to get ahead of things and played track from Time Machine right after it came out. Best part of the song was going backfield and no one could hear it.  🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I guess I generally wouldn't disagree with this, but it makes me wonder what conversations between The Cadets and the Bernstein family (or whatever it is) prior to the 2017 season. I'm sure GH went in saying that the Cadets are 10 time champs, perennial top 3 finishers, and Bernstein enthusiasts. So it would seem like a known commodity, but the final product wouldn't suggest that.

And while the originally negotiated follow on Bernstein show in 2018 fell through reportedly due to one of the negotiating parties leaving the NY Phil, I wonder if the Bernstein family saw the Cadets product and weren't interested anyway.

It is possible to get permission to use Bernstein's music, but they put a lot of restrictions on what you can do, arrangement-wise. With the band I wrote for, we did a show using music from "Chichester Psalms" and "Mass". We had to submit the arrangements for their approval.