DCI Exposed Again?

7 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

But the rules state 55 members, they only had 39 in 2019 and were concerned that they wouldn't be able to field 55. It sounds like they wanted an exception. Maybe WGI is a better fit? You can get a lot more impact from 35 members indoors than outdoors in a full stadium.

Can someone just clarify: when was it announced that the minimum number of members for Open Class was 55? I only first saw that being discussed here earlier this fall, with the implication that it was a new change. How long have small corps like Encorps known that they'd have to increase their size in order to compete in 2020?

Certainly Encorps was the not the only corps with fewer than 55 members in 2019. I just checked video of Raiders, for instance, and they appear to have had 40.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao I was at Primanti Brothers at the mall using a Christmas gift card. The waitress had a Penn State shirt so I asked if she was allowed to wear PSU in a Pittsburgh based restaurant. Answer was “you can when they’re on the tv”. 

i'm avoiding that mall for a while. it's where i broke my wrist. worse i was sober

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Can someone just clarify: when was it announced that the minimum number of members for Open Class was 55? I only first saw that being discussed here earlier this fall, with the implication that it was a new change. How long have small corps like Encorps known that they'd have to increase their size in order to compete in 2020?

Certainly Encorps was the not the only corps with fewer than 55 members in 2019. I just checked video of Raiders, for instance, and they appear to have had 40.

The Canadian corps didn’t have 55 either. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

The Canadian corps didn’t have 55 either. 

has to be new or else those corps wouldn't have been out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

https://www.dci.org/static/bylaws-policies-procedures

Policy 216 states that it was updated Oct 2019. I don't have a revision history of the document to be sure that the 55 member requirement was announced then and not before, but I *think* that is when the membership numbers and financial requirements for moving up to World Class Participant / Member dropped.

Not sure what the problem is. 39 members, electronic sampling of brass, epercussion, microphones for all the brass. Would sound like 150.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dchristian125 said:

I understand the point you are trying to make but I think that the key point here is DCI and it’s general treatment and management of its open class members. Essentially encorps has everything set right and to quote the Facebook post, DCI gave them the green light to fully participate in the up coming season.

Just speaking to this point....the post from Encorps says something different. According to Encorps, DCI stated that after 2019, there would be further evaluation for Encorps to continue.

From the post

"To approve Encorps for participation in DCI’s Open Class for the 2019 Season for no more than 5 single day trips. There will be further evaluation for any continued participation following the 2019 season"

Having nothing  official from DCI by whenever the Encorps admin made their decision, Encorps assumed they had the green light for 2020. 

37 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Just speaking to this point....the post from Encorps says something different. According to Encorps, DCI stated that after 2019, there would be further evaluation for Encorps to continue.

From the post

"To approve Encorps for participation in DCI’s Open Class for the 2019 Season for no more than 5 single day trips. There will be further evaluation for any continued participation following the 2019 season"

Having nothing  official from DCI by whenever the Encorps admin made their decision, Encorps assumed they had the green light for 2020. 

Yes, it is true that Encorps assumed that they had the green light for the 2020 season. However this assumption was based upon the fact that no review of the organization was made noticeable to encorps by DCI. Furthermore, when encorps asked DCI for what was happening with regards to the “review,” DCI said/did nothing at all. This ambiguity combined with this form of negligence to manage its constituents is the key problem here which is a threat to potentially all corps.

DCI already has done its reviews of corps. Blue devils B for example got their review made public with their approval to return to open class championships. However, when encorps was given their supposed review, assuming a review actually took place, no announcement was made to encorps or to those whom which it concerns.

in the end, I believe that it is safe to assume that unless DCI explicitly tells your organization that things will change for your corps for the upcoming season, in order for things to continue working on and progressing, you have to act as if you have the green light to go ahead for the upcoming season unless told directly otherwise by DCI. Just because a review is in place doesn’t mean that you stop everything and do nothing. You keep doing what you know needs to be done unless told otherwise or else your organization will mostly likely fold.

Edited by Dchristian125

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Not sure what the problem is. 39 members, electronic sampling of brass, epercussion, microphones for all the brass. Would sound like 150.

Just need more amps and speakers!  No problem!  And then increase the ticket prices and tour fees by 100x and you've got yourself a drum corps circuit!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:56 AM, Dchristian125 said:

Yes, it is true that Encorps assumed that they had the green light for the 2020 season. However this assumption was based upon the fact that no review of the organization was made noticeable to encorps by DCI. Furthermore, when encorps asked DCI for what was happening with regards to the “review,” DCI said/did nothing at all. This ambiguity combined with this form of negligence to manage its constituents is the key problem here which is a threat to potentially all corps.

DCI already has done its reviews of corps. Blue devils B for example got their review made public with their approval to return to open class championships. However, when encorps was given their supposed review, assuming a review actually took place, no announcement was made to encorps or to those whom which it concerns.

in the end, I believe that it is safe to assume that unless DCI explicitly tells your organization that things will change for your corps for the upcoming season, in order for things to continue working on and progressing, you have to act as if you have the green light to go ahead for the upcoming season unless told directly otherwise by DCI. Just because a review is in place doesn’t mean that you stop everything and do nothing. You keep doing what you know needs to be done unless told otherwise or else your organization will mostly likely fold.

To quote Ronald Reagan, "Well, there you go again! DCI's constituents do not include OC corps.

To your points, it seems you've nailed down all of the problems that occured but want to divert them to DCI instead of Encorps.  And then you cover it with an unfair comparison to BDB as if ALL OC corps should be treated exactly the same.  BDB has the history that Encorps doesn't, and BDB, to my knowledge, has never asked nor expected any treatment in particular from DCI's other "constituents".

"...assumed..." No New Is Good News

Encorps knew that there was going to be a change that was going to affect them (especially when, apparently, their membership declined from '18 to '19) and they knew that they would likely struggle to meet the minimum.  When that became the case, and they had few performance opportunities (again, this is no surprise; OC corps have suffered from this for long before now) to cover their fixed costs.  It was a death spiral they saw coming and it was time to either fish or cut bait for the leadership.  It sounds to me that they were very prudent in their decision.

To then conflate those circumstances and decisions into a blame-game against DCI's policies is where you make the critical mistake. 

I'm sorry but, besides another effort failing, there's really not much to see here.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1