DCI Exposed Again?

1 hour ago, garfield said:

DCI has had zero success integrating Soundsport performances into WC shows and this rule won't change that. 

Sorry, what?  From its inception in 2013, SoundSport performances have been integrated into DCI shows.  For instance, there was an interesting one at the San Antonio show that year from a SoundSport startup named Guardians.

If Encorps is any indication, these groups won't be a WC shows, they'll have their own SS competitions organized separately from the main shows. 

Encorps performed as a SoundSport team in 2018, in conjunction with several "main shows".

There haven't been enough SS groups to organize any sort of performance tour.  It's possible that these new Sub-OC-sized SS groups will make that possible now.

Now you are just grasping for straws.  A separate tour for SoundSport?  That defeats the purpose, which (according to SoundSport.com) includes "access to world class performance venues".

And I'm still trying to understand the extortion; SS participation fees are less than OC fees.

Not according to the data on DCI.org and SoundSport.com.

Open-class corps pay $150 annual dues.  They also receive $700 for each appearance at paying shows ($1,100 if OC finalist).

SoundSport teams pay $100 annual dues, PLUS another $150 for each exhibition performance, another $300 for each SoundSport competition, and $450 to enter the SoundSport event held on finals day in Indy.  There is no revenue to offset any of those fees.

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

SoundSport has its merits,  no question, and I have attended SoundSport shows in Indy and have seen SoundSport performances at shows. You have everything from a Chinese family playing authentic Asian instruments to Costa Rican dancers to small corps to alumni groups to people who enjoy putting on a show. While SoundSport gives a group an opportunity to perform, it does not provide the kind of judging a corps needs to improve and grow. Based on conversations I had with folks associated with Encorps (parents and volunteers), it was hoped that marching members would recruit other marching members. I’m not sure that SoundSport would be an attractive enough opportunity for young people who want to give drum corps a try.

I tend to agree, but the notion of progressing from drumline battle, to Soundsport (or going directly to SS and adding drums), to OC in the logistics of the operations and moving kids safely was the hoped for teaching mechanism.  SS leadership learn a lot and kids perform.  The idea is to grow on a progression that leads all the way to 100 members safely doing shows on the WC tour for 3 years then asking for admission to WC and "Member" status.

In theory, the idea has merit, but making the jump from performing because you like it to being judged against your peers was a hard sticking point.  Now, the idea of fan judging is slowing giving way to "sheets" and criteria which will only help sell the SS idea to potential members.  But, the issue of having SS performance opportunities is still the sticking point if SS directors only sell those to their members.  They have to be sold on the idea of starting and growing something small into something bigger.

I don't think any of the DLB --> SS --> OC --> WC conveyor allows for any group to stay in one place.  If a unit wants more playing opportunities, they have to prove themselves able to raise funds, family, fans, and performers and increase those numbers year after year.

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

SoundSport has its merits,  no question, and I have attended SoundSport shows in Indy and have seen SoundSport performances at shows. You have everything from a Chinese family playing authentic Asian instruments to Costa Rican dancers to small corps to alumni groups to people who enjoy putting on a show. While SoundSport gives a group an opportunity to perform, it does not provide the kind of judging a corps needs to improve and grow. Based on conversations I had with folks associated with Encorps (parents and volunteers), it was hoped that marching members would recruit other marching members. I’m not sure that SoundSport would be an attractive enough opportunity for young people who want to give drum corps a try.

i watched the SoundSport show at Allentown the other year. no tickets sold, just walk up.....no money made.

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Open-class corps pay $150 annual dues.  They also receive $700 for each appearance at paying shows ($1,100 if OC finalist).

SoundSport teams pay $100 annual dues, PLUS another $150 for each exhibition performance, another $300 for each SoundSport competition, and $450 to enter the SoundSport event held on finals day in Indy.  There is no revenue to offset any of those fees.

Sorry, fixed.  I should have said "costs".  The OC tour requirement is a lot more stringent than SS, by design.

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you assume all parades pay. fewer do every year

Yep... And certain areas (south iirc) groups pay to perform. Question is can parades get local businesses to sponsor  groups. Baltimore 4th of July parades are big money makers but if you’re near the judging platform some places you can hear “and sponsored by..... (corps name).” Been in a homecoming parade where the $$$ cane from a local business.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sorry, what?  From its inception in 2013, SoundSport performances have been integrated into DCI shows.  For instance, there was an interesting one at the San Antonio show that year from a SoundSport startup named Guardians.

Encorps performed as a SoundSport team in 2018, in conjunction with several "main shows".

Ok, sorry, it wasn't zero percent, it was something closer to 4%.  Approximately 100 shows on the WC tour and four opportunities for SS performances at them.  While it's not zero, I'd hardly call it a resounding success of integration after six years.

Yes, Encorps performed at one of them.  And?...

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Now you are just grasping for straws.  A separate tour for SoundSport?  That defeats the purpose, which (according to SoundSport.com) includes "access to world class performance venues".

No, I don't mean a separate "tour", I mean a sizable enough contingent of performing groups to actually schedule regular performances at WC shows instead of ad-hoc and as the SS teams are available.  

I was part of the scheduling process when a single SS team begged off performing and the other two who agreed to come begged off afterward because, well, there was no point of a "competition" with two units.

I'm suggesting there may now be enough SS units to apply a regular schedule of performances, not their own tour separate from WC shows.

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ok, sorry, it wasn't zero percent, it was something closer to 4%.  Approximately 100 shows on the WC tour and four opportunities for SS performances at them.  While it's not zero, I'd hardly call it a resounding success of integration after six years.

It is way more than 4%.  Phenom alone performed at more than 4 shows in 2019 with their 100-member SoundSport ensemble.

Yes, Encorps performed at one of them.  And?...

Encorps performed at more than one, but IIRC, DCI ultimately only let them into two shows in 2018.  So what is your point? 

A few posts back, it seemed like you were supportive of the idea of organizations progressing from SS to OC to WC.  You have to be now, because startup corps have no other option.  DCI did away with the possibility of a WC startup in the early 1990s.  Now I hear they are requiring all new corps to serve a one-year sentence in SoundSport before even being considered for OC... or is it three years?  Hard to keep up with all these roadblocks.  

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Rule changes must go through a Rules Congress, only held at the Janual.

All competitive rule changes must go through the process outlined in the bylaws. 

The key is... this isn't a competitive rule.  While it most certainly could have an impact on the competitive nature of the activity, this would fall under the policies & procedures necessary to be a member/participant in DCI.  Establishing those policies/procedures falls under the scope of the Board of Directors:

Article IV - Section 5: Board of Directors Responsibilities 

The Board of Directors shall establish, implement and enforce appropriate and necessary legal standards, policies, procedures and industry practices relevant to Members and Participating Organizations, as well as enforce standards and requirements necessary to obtain and maintain good standing as a Member or for participation in DCI Activities.

Source: https://online.pubhtml5.com/xada/ikln/#p=16

Based upon that, plus the section in the policy & procedure manual that grants the board the right to establish new/revised policies & procedures necessary, there really wasn't a need for this matter to go to the January meeting for a vote.  If the committees did their job when drafting the recommended new polices for the Board of Directors, the new policies should represent the vast majority of the organizations that are members/participants in DCI.  

Now that said, it's my opinion that DCI should have put out some type of communication indicating that the Policy & Procedures manual had been updated, and been available to clarify any changes if necessary.