Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, cybersnyder said:

Agreed. You can do everything right and it still doesn't guarantee success, just a shot at it.

If the initial post is correct, DCI repeatdly refused to even tell Encorps what their status was, which seemes like an odd way to give the corps even a shot at success.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If the initial post is correct, DCI repeatdly refused to even tell Encorps what their status was, which seemes like an odd way to give the corps even a shot at success.

But the rules state 55 members, they only had 39 in 2019 and were concerned that they wouldn't be able to field 55. It sounds like they wanted an exception. Maybe WGI is a better fit? You can get a lot more impact from 35 members indoors than outdoors in a full stadium.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

But the rules state 55 members, they only had 39 in 2019 and were concerned that they wouldn't be able to field 55. It sounds like they wanted an exception. Maybe WGI is a better fit? You can get a lot more impact from 35 members indoors than outdoors in a full stadium.

Understandable point you make. But the thing to remember is that DCI told encorps nothing at all with regards to their future as an open class corps. More importantly, they didn’t specify to them whether they might be demoted to soundsport should they fail to meet the requirements. With this uncertainty, it’s hard to recruit new member when you can’t even tell them what your organization is. Furthermore, even if DCI wanted to demote encorps to Soundsport, that’s kind of a slap in the face if membership is the only problem. They had the financial resources and were very well managed. IMO being demoted from open class to Soundsport after starting out in soundsport initially isn’t attractive to new potential incoming members.

Edited by Dchristian125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

Understandable point you make. But the thing to remember is that DCI told encorps nothing at all with regards to their future as an open class corps. More importantly, they didn’t specify to them whether they might be demoted to soundsport should they fail to meet the requirements. With this uncertainty, it’s hard to recruit new member when you can’t even tell them what your organization is. Furthermore, even if DCI wanted to demote encorps to Soundsport, that’s kind of a slap in the face if membership is the only problem. They had the financial resources and were very well managed. IMO being demoted from open class to Soundsport after starting out in soundsport initially isn’t attractive to new potential incoming members.

They definitely should have given them written notice as to their status. I'm not sure of the timing of the rule changes versus when they requested status clarification or the mechanics of how the members would vote. It would be the committee making the decision, not DA, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dchristian125 said:

I agree that the issue is very old but I do believe that in the case of encorps, we are finally seeing direct proof of what is going on behind the scenes with regards to open class treatment. Without an open class, there is no world class. And by the looks of things, DCI is about to have nearly half of its open class corps population wiped out by its abrupt and one sided policies combined with the negligence of DCI to help guide and support open class corps growth. That’s the main problem seen specifically outlined in Encorps Facebook post.

 

Even if some open class corps survive this, which I’m pretty sure there will be a few, Dci and its structure will turn into DCA where the big boys are all showcased and given praise and attention whilst the underdogs/open class are so small in numbers it brings into question why we should even have divisions.

There were no separate divisions at the first DCI championship.  Some corps snubbed Whitewater to go elsewhere.  Then they established class A and all-girl. All girl went away because there weren’t enough corps and sometime later, DIV 2/3 was established.  I believe we’re going to end up right where we started.  One division.  Probably about 15 drum corps in total.  There has been this “supercorps” talk decades ago @Jeff Ream can back me on this but he’s probably napping after getting his bionic wrist yesterday. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garfield said:

The leadership of Encorps and the others deserve huge amounts of praise and kudos for having gotten to where they did.  Attaining membership should NOT be easy!

The discussion about 55/100 was being discussed several years ago.

in a market where you have Cadets, Surf, Raiders and several DCA corps no less.

 

funny i saw them 2 years ago, i thought they had 55 bodies then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you accept the proposition that "Open Class" is the nursery ground for new World Class corps then one might expect DCI to be more nurturing. 

Sure.  World Class corps are only interested in themselves (DCI is the corps, blah, blah, blah). 

But DCI should actively want the activity to grow.  Their behavior with regard to Encorps would seem to contradict that goal.  

So either (a) DCI is so poorly run that they can't give timely responses or (b) DCI is not truly interested in expanding at all.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were no separate divisions at the first DCI championship.  Some corps snubbed Whitewater to go elsewhere.  Then they established class A and all-girl. All girl went away because there weren’t enough corps and sometime later, DIV 2/3 was established.  I believe we’re going to end up right where we started.  One division.  Probably about 15 drum corps in total.  There has been this “supercorps” talk decades ago @Jeff Ream can back me on this but he’s probably napping after getting his bionic wrist yesterday. 

i was watching Penn State.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was watching Penn State.

Lmao I was at Primanti Brothers at the mall using a Christmas gift card. The waitress had a Penn State shirt so I asked if she was allowed to wear PSU in a Pittsburgh based restaurant. Answer was “you can when they’re on the tv”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was watching Penn State.

 Me, too.  I was getting nervous at the beginning. 
 

Go Bucks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.