For long term Activity health - quality/quantity?

‘It’s the off season and some posts have me wondering.... of the below choices which would best help long term health of the drum corps activity....

1) Concentrate on top corps to make sure they survive. Fewer corps but will have best of the best. 

2) Help ensure non-elite corps can stay alive season to season. 

3) Work in environment where start up or local (for now?) Corps can actually start and have a chance to build up for the future.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

This was essentially the argument surrounding G7. Expect a loooong thread with many personal attacks

It’s cold and damp in Central PA so would welcome the heat considering my fuel oil bill lol.

yeah expect some opinions being expressed as “facts”

Jim - of course, a good answer would be all of the above!  But, I choose Number 1, and here’s why . . . 

the long term existence of our type (DCI) marching music depends on high visibility of the best we have to offer.  Here are the ‘cars’ we put out on the showroom floor.  They ought to be the most attractive, best built, highest equipped, and most dependable units.  Here is where the SALE is made. Where the desire is created.

So long as DCI has 10-12 high quality units to send out across this nation, every other unit, even those struggling to exist, has a better opportunity to survive, even flourish.

Edited by Fred Windish

Quality. I  sincerely believe that the very top corps themselves (in recent years) don't see themselves as a Marching bands but as a professional entertainment outlet. With Sound Reinforcement, professional stage settings (props) and the like, the quality being put out by the top corps has increased dramatically in the last decade.

Being a professional entertainment vehicle, scandals such as what happened with the Cadets, Pioneer, Oregon Crusaders, Cavaliers cannot happen anymore as it would cripple the activity. So their emphasis on professional operations and such stringent requirements is key to protect "The Shield" as they'd say in the NFL. 

I think the emphasis on quality, is good for the student, as their safety is benefited from only being exposed to professional organizations.

Its good for the consumer because our dollars are getting us a higher quality entertainment than it did in years past.

And its good for DCI, as its brand increases in Value and could have a claim that their "product" rivals that of professional circus acts like Cirque or other Vegas type entertainment shows in quality and professionalism. 

There is a vehicle for smaller competitive groups to excel and that is where smaller Local groups under 55 should be looking into, WGI Winds. 

Quality first followed by as much quantity that can live up to standards. As long as WC corps are having difficulty filling every slot they have, then there is no reason to add additional corps unless they think that by including woodwinds on field that gives more potential members to choose from and the potential to field 2-3 more WC corps not larger size, but additional members that can be spread around to fill out a few corps that step up from OC to WC.

53 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Quality. I  sincerely believe that the very top corps themselves (in recent years) don't see themselves as a Marching bands but as a professional entertainment outlet. With Sound Reinforcement, professional stage settings (props) and the like, the quality being put out by the top corps has increased dramatically in the last decade.

Being a professional entertainment vehicle, scandals such as what happened with the Cadets, Pioneer, Oregon Crusaders, Cavaliers cannot happen anymore as it would cripple the activity. So their emphasis on professional operations and such stringent requirements is key to protect "The Shield" as they'd say in the NFL. 

I think the emphasis on quality, is good for the student, as their safety is benefited from only being exposed to professional organizations.

Its good for the consumer because our dollars are getting us a higher quality entertainment than it did in years past.

And its good for DCI, as its brand increases in Value and could have a claim that their "product" rivals that of professional circus acts like Cirque or other Vegas type entertainment shows in quality and professionalism. 

There is a vehicle for smaller competitive groups to excel and that is where smaller Local groups under 55 should be looking into, WGI Winds. 

You present an interesting concept.

My question is,how can you  pay for it ?

From what has been posted on other threads,a number,if not the  majority  of corps are already swimming in a

sea of red ink.

Its been stated that  membership dues don't cover an individual  member's costs.

Putting on a show/tour that would be considered "Professional Entertainment" takes  more then props and

speakers.

Fans already complain about the cost of tickets.

So,where do you get the money to do this ?

Edited by rpbobcat

18 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Quality first followed by as much quantity that can live up to standards. As long as WC corps are having difficulty filling every slot they have, then there is no reason to add additional corps unless they think that by including woodwinds on field that gives more potential members to choose from and the potential to field 2-3 more WC corps not larger size, but additional members that can be spread around to fill out a few corps that step up from OC to WC.

So, you're saying as long as WC corps (in Seattle or Jersey, let's say) have a few openings, then there is no reason for an Open Class corps to start up in Kansas City, Charleston SC, or Portland, ME, even though those area have nothing to do with each other.