For long term Activity health - quality/quantity?

10 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

You present an interesting concept.

My question is,how can you  pay for it ?

From what has been posted on other threads,a number,if not the  majority  of corps are already swimming in a

sea of red ink.

Its been stated that  membership dues don't cover an individual  member's costs.

Putting on a show/tour that would be considered "Professional Entertainment" takes  more then props and

speakers.

Fans already complain about the cost of tickets.

So,where do you get the money to do this ?

I would consider the last three years of DCI to be on the level of professional entertainment, (IMO you could argue that the top 6 can compete with Cirque and its product quality and performer talent) The corps and DCI are all still surviving. 

I don't have the inside details to assume to know if the corps are pricing themselves out of contention, but one would assume that any of those concerns will be corrected for long term health by the smart people running those corps. (Doubt the Cadets will be spending that much money on a set of moving bleachers in the future.)

And like other forms of professional entertainment, I think the prices for tickets will continue to rise. Such is the value of a "live" product these days.

It's DCI and by extension the Member Corps prerogative to entice its audience to spend money on DCI as opposed to other forms of Live entertainment. Increasing the Quality is key to doing that. Not diluting it with Corps that aren't at the top "quality" and would be considered by many as a corps you can miss. Outside of TOC Shows, you could always miss the first two corps and still think that you got your money's worth... 

The NBA has proven that making its "Stars" the lead marketing tool increases its value long-term, not just of the "Stars" but of the league overall.

32 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I would consider the last three years of DCI to be on the level of professional entertainment, (IMO you could argue that the top 6 can compete with Cirque and its product quality and performer talent) The corps and DCI are all still surviving. 

I don't have the inside details to assume to know if the corps are pricing themselves out of contention, but one would assume that any of those concerns will be corrected for long term health by the smart people running those corps. (Doubt the Cadets will be spending that much money on a set of moving bleachers in the future.)

And like other forms of professional entertainment, I think the prices for tickets will continue to rise. Such is the value of a "live" product these days.

It's DCI and by extension the Member Corps prerogative to entice its audience to spend money on DCI as opposed to other forms of Live entertainment. Increasing the Quality is key to doing that. Not diluting it with Corps that aren't at the top "quality" and would be considered by many as a corps you can miss. Outside of TOC Shows, you could always miss the first two corps and still think that you got your money's worth... 

The NBA has proven that making its "Stars" the lead marketing tool increases its value long-term, not just of the "Stars" but of the league overall.

Sorry,but I don't think  DCi corps' 12 minute or so shows ,on a football field, approach  the performance  level of  Cirque,River Dance, Blast Etc..

Those shows use performers,who perform year round and, lets not forget,are being paid.

Not the other way around.

They also have a full,paid, support staff.

Heck,Cirque travels with a full culinary set up.

I also  think you're over estimating the marketing /entertainment value of drum corps.

Some people love it.

But it will always be a "niche" activity.

You're also limited by the fact that you can only sell a  portion of any venue.

As far as "smart people running these corps" ,based on recent examples,especially when it comes to finances, that's an oxymoron.

Ticket prices will continue to rise.

But people already complain about them.

Plus,do you really think people are going to pay big bucks to sit outside,in the heat ,humidity and rain ,fighting off bugs ?

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

So, you're saying as long as WC corps (in Seattle or Jersey, let's say) have a few openings, then there is no reason for an Open Class corps to start up in Kansas City, Charleston SC, or Portland, ME, even though those area have nothing to do with each other.

Well Charleston, SC has been hit the last few years by hurricanes and floods which had them under water so there's your Surf (not just Jersey) Cascading down upon them.

Kansas City?  You have to be super clear on DCP whether you are referencing Missouri or the State of Kansas. Some think there is a difference.

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Quality. I  sincerely believe that the very top corps themselves (in recent years) don't see themselves as a Marching bands but as a professional entertainment outlet. With Sound Reinforcement, professional stage settings (props) and the like, the quality being put out by the top corps has increased dramatically in the last decade.

Being a professional entertainment vehicle, scandals such as what happened with the Cadets, Pioneer, Oregon Crusaders, Cavaliers cannot happen anymore as it would cripple the activity. So their emphasis on professional operations and such stringent requirements is key to protect "The Shield" as they'd say in the NFL.

If they see themselves that way, it's time to start paying members at least a minimum wage.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m girding my loins. 

From the initial responses, you'd be unnecessarily girded.

It IS, essentially, the same and I'm a little shocked at the acceptance to putting the "Top" corps first and foremost.

Perhaps 3 hours is not enough time to get a good, solid cross reference of DCP votes.  😀

• Like 1

When it comes to quality v. quantity, much depends on why you follow drum corps. If you view it as a contest where the best compete against the best, quality will be the top priority. If it is primarily an opportunity for youth to perform and compete, quantity would be of importance. 

personally I love a variety of corps and would tend to be more on the quantity side, though the top corps impress me with their talent. I think a lot of people might say the same, however, I have been to shows where WC and OC compete in the same shows and the seats are pretty empty until corps that were in finals last year compete. I’ve also been to shows with just OC corps competing and the crowds were very small. If you’re on the quantity side, you need to show up and support WC corps that do not make finals and OC.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wolfgang said:

So, you're saying as long as WC corps (in Seattle or Jersey, let's say) have a few openings, then there is no reason for an Open Class corps to start up in Kansas City, Charleston SC, or Portland, ME, even though those area have nothing to do with each other.

You know that’s not what I’m saying, but please be offended. 

The reason I stress quantity is that this activity lacks depth in a big way.  Look at ANY successful activity and you will see quantity at the lower end and quality at the upper end.  This top down approach ALWAYS and utterly fails.

• Thanks 2

On 1/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, Fred Windish said:

So long as DCI has 10-12 high quality units to send out across this nation, every other unit, even those struggling to exist, has a better opportunity to survive, even flourish.

10-12 please! It’s more like 4-5, outside of that the quality drops, and continues to drop even more after 8-9. Once you get below 12-13 well you have a show with corps outside of the top 12 and see who shows up. 

Edited by Poppycock