For long term Activity health - quality/quantity?

Upon further review and I can't even remember what I originally posted, I'm going with quality. People largely attend shows for the headliners. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

the reason the corps at the top are so good is because they are using the members trained by the lower groups. 

fill Blue Devils with drum corps rookies this year and BD would not be anywhere near as good as they always are.

Is there any corps in WC that is "filled with rookies"?  Why give an example crippling BD that way?

Instead, why not just use the example of them doing EXACTLY THAT with BDB and BDC?

"Fill Blue Devils C with drum corps rookies this year and BDC will be exactly as good as they always are."

But, let me ask you this:  If all of that BD talent went to, oh, Mandarins, say.  Would the Mandarins operation be able to "handle" them and be "as good" as we see BD is today?

7 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

the reason the corps at the top are so good is because they are using the members trained by the lower groups. 

fill Blue Devils with drum corps rookies this year and BD would not be anywhere near as good as they always are.

I'd say that a larger majority of the members are being trained by the Caption heads in their HS groups in BOA. I went straight to a Top 5 corps and I was a junior in HS. My staff were all former and current DCI members.. 

• Like 2

A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in the Malamute saloon;
The kid that handles the music-box was hitting a jag-time tune

We were bouncing around similar ideas the other night - is it time to pare the cut off for finals from top 12 to top 10? Perhaps if it were harder to make it into finals night - Saturday night, it would spur on higher levels of competition and achievement for those corps around 8 to 12 place -

Would you care if it were top 10 instead of top 12? Does it matter?

Another aspect we should keep in mind is we are seeing more shows these days because of online viewing - since the start of flo, I'm less interested in going a show - I'd rather grill, have a nice meal with drum corps friends and family and enjoy the show on the flo - even with the occasional glitches --

Perhaps DCI realized this a few years ago at the time, but the decision to go with the Flo would be a 2 edged sword in the sense that people are going to be content to stay home and watch online - college and pro sports are starting to see this trend as well --

Let's convene in 2030 and look back on how the activity adapted and survived in the decade -- it will be interesting to see how the activity has evolved and changed. I believe the activity is evolving to become an online/streaming-based performance - not a live/in-person experience. Will the activity survive in a way we will recognize it in 2030?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tedrick said:
 Let's convene in 2030 and look back on how the activity adapted and survived in the decade -- it will be interesting to see how the activity has evolved and changed. I believe the activity is evolving to become an online/streaming-based performance - not a live/in-person experience. Will the activity survive in a way we will recognize it in 2030?

Rip GIF - Rip Coffin Funeral GIFs

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I'd say that a larger majority of the members are being trained by the Caption heads in their HS groups in BOA. I went straight to a Top 5 corps and I was a junior in HS. My staff were all former and current DCI members.. 

So most of the people in your top 5 corps were also 17? The data does not back that up.

If you can find me a top 5 corps with an average age of high school students, I will change my opinion.

10 hours ago, garfield said:

Is there any corps in WC that is "filled with rookies"?  Why give an example crippling BD that way?

Instead, why not just use the example of them doing EXACTLY THAT with BDB and BDC?

"Fill Blue Devils C with drum corps rookies this year and BDC will be exactly as good as they always are."

But, let me ask you this:  If all of that BD talent went to, oh, Mandarins, say.  Would the Mandarins operation be able to "handle" them and be "as good" as we see BD is today?

my point is BD's "excellence" depends on having kids that are trained elsewhere. So if DCI kills off the "training ground" then it will eventually filter to the stop in terms of a lower quality product.

And I would guess a lot of the 13+ corps have mostly rookies.

Do you think that is inaccurate? 

On 1/4/2020 at 10:37 PM, tedrick said:
Another aspect we should keep in mind is we are seeing more shows these days because of online viewing - since the start of flo, I'm less interested in going a show - I'd rather grill, have a nice meal with drum corps friends and family and enjoy the show on the flo - even with the occasional glitches --

Perhaps DCI realized this a few years ago at the time, but the decision to go with the Flo would be a 2 edged sword in the sense that people are going to be content to stay home and watch online - college and pro sports are starting to see this trend as well --

There are only a few thousand good seats in the best of DCI venues.  Having theater shows, video streaming, and other options for viewing DCI performances is a GOOD THING - a way to grow overall viewership, and (if done right) overall revenue.

• Thanks 1

To the original question:

This is not Cirque, Broadway, or high art.  DCI is a series of contests.

Contests are the draw.  We know how many people attend/follow DCI contests.  We also know how few people attend/follow these same corps when they are not competing.

Contests with fewer corps are not better.  We should focus on growing more corps.