2020 Rules Proposals

i wanna be a fly on the wall for this one:

Any Instrument Policy

Proposed by: Kathy Black, DCI Board of Directors

Summary: This proposal would allow the use of any instrument, including woodwinds, effective for the 2021 season.

On the record: “Opening the drum corps activity to young musicians currently excluded is consistent with the DCI mission to bring the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to more people worldwide.”

I am not greatly familiar with Ms. Black. This is her relevant bio.---

Upon accepting Morrison’s resignation, the board elected New Mexico lawyer Kathy Black as its new chair. She is an attorney for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, representing the U.S. Forest Service in civil rights matters and joined the DCI Board of Directors in 2016. Black is an Indianapolis native and is an accomplished jazz, rock and blues drummer. She marched as a member of the Guardsmen Drum and Bugle Corps and has long been an advocate for the marching arts.

DCI Executive Director and CEO Dan Acheson said, "Kathy is an integral member of our board, and we look forward to her leadership. The DCI community will no doubt benefit from her efforts not only as the board’s new chair, but also through her newly established ‘IN STEP: Women in DCI’ initiative."

Edited by wolfgang

12 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Any Instrument Policy

Summary: This proposal would allow the use of any instrument, including woodwinds, effective for the 2021 season.

On the record: “Opening the drum corps activity to young musicians currently excluded is consistent with the DCI mission to bring the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to more people worldwide.”

Well i'll be darned... it finally happened. 

I actually never imagined this rule would be proposed.

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

“More people worldwide” yet DCI is supposedly for the member corps which cuts down on the number of people that can be “life enriched”

Way it’s worded sounds like more people will be able to do DCI. Ahhh no... it means more people will be able to try out for DCI. So far number of bodies on the field will stay the same.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

That works only if you intend to increase the size of the unit beyond the current 154-member limit. Otherwise, any flute you add is a bass drummer you need to cut. Net result: Same number of people experiencing the life-enriching benefits.

I don't detect anything in the proposal that would increase the number of performers allowed on the field -- as if the already brutal economics of drum corps could even survive it.

Without a proposal to increase the size of competing units, the stated rationale is an empty platitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the only ones i really care about in any way are the brass amplification limitation and the sound reinforcement limit

i'm an enthusiastic yes for both, though i do wonder how both will be enforced.  but if they can, i'm all for hearing acoustic brass as much as possible, and limiting thunderous goo.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Any Instrument Policy

This was my premise for allowing WW's into DCI. Interesting that this is the reasoning being used by a member of the DCI BOD.

This is also an interesting angle as its being proposed by the a member of the DCI BOD. Does that Hold more weight? 

Was DCI used as the shield by the Member corps to not have this proposal come from any one single DCI Corps but instead come from the DCI BOD?

https://www.dci.org/news/2020-dci-rules-congress-proposals-at-a-glance

The short list - click above for the details.

Brass Amplification Limitations
Proposed by: Michael Martin, The Cavaliers

----------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation Structure Innovation
Proposed by: Chris Komnick, Nick Monzi, Jason Robb, Madison Scouts

Color Guard Sheet Enhancement
Proposed by: Denise Bonfiglio, The Cadets

Any Instrument Policy

Allow for Live Sampling Created in Real Time
Proposed by: Matt Jordan, Jon Vanderkolff, Bluecoats

Rules and Systems Task Force Voted On by the Membership
Proposed by: Lindsey Vento, The Academy

Scoring System Update
Proposed by: Marie Czapinski, DCI Adjudicator

Sound Reinforcement Limits
Proposed by: Steve Vento, The Academy

hoping we get the histrionics on here about woodwinds that we got on here 15 years ago regarding A&E.

it's been pretty tame so far. 

online petitions with thousands of signatures, dinos getting audiences with the DCI bod, and hundreds of people threatening to stop being fans, many of whom followed through. 

the good ol' days. 

• Like 1