2020 Rules Proposals

37 minutes ago, Amil Muzz said:

The “inclusion” rap is laughable. The sheer cost makes the experience unreachable for way too many. Inclusion? Look for ways to reach more kids who can’t afford $5,000 for a summer. Just the economics of it makes Drum Corps exclusionary by class. 

No, the point is to reach more kids who CAN afford to march.

And I think you're wrong; from a pure value standpoint, drum corps is a documentably cheap musical experience and resume-booster.  Increasing the marching fees by as much as 40% would still leave it that way.

And, don't kid yourself - if drum corps charges ANYTHING to march, it is exclusionary.  There are now performers who can't afford a single dollar of tour fees.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Uh, no.  This is really easy.  DCI has committees.  Committees can make the basis of a rule change.  If no one member corps in presenting the idea, then the activity itself is presenting it, and the Chair of the BoD of the activity is then the submitter.

Sorry, but the rule change process does not allow that.  It is spelled out on page 2 of the document:

1.1  Any instructional member or corps director of an active drum corps (must have competed in a DCI sanctioned show) the previous summer, or an active judge of DCI may submit a rules proposal on his/her own behalf or on behalf of another.

1.2  The sponsoring corps Director or the appropriate Judge Liaison, Judge Administrator, or the Artistic Director will sign the completed (and required) Rules Proposal Form.

Kathy Black is not qualified under any of those stipulations, and there is no sponsor mentioned either.  Without a valid author and sponsor, this is not a valid rule change proposal.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I do wonder if DCI was quietly encouraging people to leak hints about this rule on social media (including DCP) over the past several months as a kind of "soft opening" so that it wouldn't come as such a shock now.

Your curiosity presumes that DCI actually cares about, and is responsive to, social media.  In matters of voting at the Januals, well, has there ever been a biennial that was prefaced by a period open to fan comment?

Also, issues such as these would reasonably require the corps' governance and ED to discuss the rule changes and determine a position on a proposal.  That's a LOT of people to herd like cats. No matter the instruction of confidentiality, word is going to get out eventually.

Besides the corps representatives, there are also several dozen headed to Indy for the Board consortium meetings.  That's a lot of cats.

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

And THIS is a huge motivation.  

Then increase the numbers! Hey, I'm down with unlimited numbers! But then everyone will cry about how expensive it is! It's an exclusive activity, and always will be. How come some qualified members would rather NOT MARCH, if not their fav corps? I dunno, a million reasons? I don't care about those, cuz they're all personal. My point is: The exclusivity is a TWO WAY street, and we can't solve it one way.

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sorry, but the rule change process does not allow that.  It is spelled out on page 2 of the document:

Kathy Black is not qualified under any of those stipulations, and there is no sponsor mentioned either.  Without a valid author and sponsor, this is not a valid rule change proposal.

I don't read it that way.

The paragraphs address a process for individuals to present proposals into a system of "entities", not individuals.  A sponsoring "entity" must sign the proposal form.

This mechanism is designed to prevent individuals not connected to the activity from commandeering Janual time on proposals not presented by a member corps.

The paragraphs do not address a drum corps entity submitting proposals through their reps (director or otherwise).  Again, if DCI, the entity via it's committee work (which is made up of member corps reps), wants to submit a formal rule change, who else would be the submitting "person" to sign the proposal?

I'm 100% positive that you're misreading the reason and intent of 1.1 and 1.2.

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But DCI is simultaneously making it more difficult for new corps to start up.

No, they are simultaneously clarifying what will be an accepted minimum number of participants for the different classes of marching corps.  Getting new members is still just as hard as it always was; it's not more difficult because of 55/110.  Starting up with 35 members and promising a trip to Indy to "warm up next to the big guys" is no longer accepted, but that doesn't make getting the 55 min any harder.

18 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

First of all, your last sentence is full of idealist, pie-in-the-sky stuff. For even without woodwinds, that would be true: I mean, why cut anyone? Just take every single person who auditions, since we're trying to be so magnanimous! Also, every woodwind player is welcome to learn brass, and try out for drum corps. I'm sure we all know dozens that have!

Don't get me wrong: I;m an advocate for woodwinds, but I just want the color. I would never to pretend to be some hippie, feel-good, make-love-not-war person saying "can't we all just be involved?" NO, we can't. We have membership limits, regardless of instrumentation. Some very qualified people will be sent home, period.

That isn't my point. But ok.. sorry for having an imagination.

And I agree, I know lots of woodwind players that were able to learn to play a brass instrument, but sadly that wasn't an option for me. Which was a shame, but because of that I made sure I cheered them on. 

I am not saying that corps should accept over 9,000 players to the field. Keep the standards high and to the limited 154 (corps have used electronic stringed instruments... and still kept it at the proper amount... sorry I don't see the issue here). 

Why keep a high standard? Because teaching a player that has failed is also extremely important. Failing is apart of life. Heck, I am happy that I did because I learned from it. I hope that if I am able to become an educator then I can also help pick them right back up.

Hope you have a good weekend. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Your curiosity presumes that DCI actually cares about, and is responsive to, social media.  In matters of voting at the Januals, well, has there ever been a biennial that was prefaced by a period open to fan comment?

Yes.  Before the most recent Rules Congress, rule change proposals were released to the public on December 13th.

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

1.1  Any instructional member or corps director of an active drum corps (must have competed in a DCI sanctioned show) the previous summer, or an active judge of DCI may submit a rules proposal on his/her own behalf or on behalf of another.

1.2  The sponsoring corps Director or the appropriate Judge Liaison, Judge Administrator, or the Artistic Director will sign the completed (and required) Rules Proposal Form.

This is not a minor point. 

The rules are followed, or they're not really rules.

• Like 1