2020 Rules Proposals

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To me, this does not look like a well thought out 'Fiscal Impact"  - It seems to say 'WW wont cost much, let the individual Corps work it out, but we may get more parents of WW players in the stands'.

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner! 

You guys are all correct in that this is not well thought out. I would also assume that it would have to completely change the judging sheets, correct?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I get the aspiration to make the benefits available to as many young people as possible. I don't doubt the sincerity of the aim.

But way to maximize the benefits isn't to eliminate the characteristics that distinguish the one thing from all other things. It's to make many different things.

Summer string camps. Chamber orchestras. Youth symphonies. Jazz combos. Chorale. Fiddlin' competitions. Bluegrass camps. Piano competitions. Drum and bugle corps.

I've said it before: When you put all the ingredients in the kitchen into a single pot, every item on the menu tastes the same. The way to expand the "life-enriching benefits" to more young people is to put more items on the menu, not use a bigger pot.

This was my exact reasoning for keeping the Scouts (not just Madison, but the entire BSA) boys-only.  Have cool things for everyone... don't make everyone fit into one cool thing.  

I'm fine if you want to discuss the pros and cons for WW in Drum Corps... but this is a terrible reason.

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Yup.  Tried my hand writing for a 500 person band for 'fun' once... 3 sets and 3 hours later, decided to retire early from my glorious career writing for that size ensemble.  

That said, huge respect for those drill writers who can and do.  

Trying to think which major college band I saw with huge band. What I remember was three blocks moving around and no individual moves. Lol saw more drill with some of the alumni corps...

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

i wanna be a fly on the wall for this one:

Any Instrument Policy

Proposed by: Kathy Black, DCI Board of Directors

Summary: This proposal would allow the use of any instrument, including woodwinds, effective for the 2021 season.

On the record: “Opening the drum corps activity to young musicians currently excluded is consistent with the DCI mission to bring the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to more people worldwide.”

Only one problem- no one is currently excluded. The premise is false. Learn a new instrument. Just like one of my kids did. If they pass it based on a completely false premise, ....well, it will be just like all the other proposals they’ve passed I guess. 

At this point, they’ve bastardized it so much, what difference does it make?  It’s full on embarrassing bando.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Year Fiver said:

Making ~250 servings per meal is already a gargantuan task for a single two-oven food truck as it is, so increasing the maximum by any more than a few bodies would require either a second food truck or a radical restructuring of how meals work (and we were already making so much progress away from pizza/hotdog/spaghetti rotations!), plus almost every corps is already consistently short on volunteers as it is. And since the max capacity of a food truck fridge and pantry are already limited, you would either have to invest in more vehicles with fridges/usable space or you would have to go on even more frequent shopping runs, which are a huge drain on admin time.

At one point in the very late 80's, there was an idea batted around to use professional food service companies for meals. It involved only one corps that I am aware of. I know this, because my father was involved in the concept. That being said, I don't believe it would work now, but I don't have any real experience how the canteen wagons function anymore. I know they have MUCH larger capacities than they used to. 

I think that corps are short on season long volunteers. One off show volunteers, I would think, are fairly easy to come by. I've volunteered for several corps for shows locally. Trying to get the corps to respond to email requests to volunteer...now that's a challenge.

13 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

At one point in the very late 80's, there was an idea batted around to use professional food service companies for meals. It involved only one corps that I am aware of. I know this, because my father was involved in the concept. That being said, I don't believe it would work now, but I don't have any real experience how the canteen wagons function anymore. I know they have MUCH larger capacities than they used to. 

I think that corps are short on season long volunteers. One off show volunteers, I would think, are fairly easy to come by. I've volunteered for several corps for shows locally. Trying to get the corps to respond to email requests to volunteer...now that's a challenge.

Jim volunteered for a few years.  The volunteers for the most part, were old guys and women like him.  50’s and 60’s.

Edited by Terri Schehr

Reading the proposal, it disgusts me that DCI is so exclusionary. They only allow “musicians”.  What about the poor kids who aren’t musicians but want to be in DCI. It’s 2020. Why so discriminatory?  Let them bang on  pots and pans. Why the hate, DCI?

/s

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 7

Making mental note to bring up 200 or so members every time there is a plea for housing or rehearsal facilities for the current sized corps. More bodies just going to make it worse....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim volunteered for a few years.  The volunteers for the most part, were old guys and women like him.  50’s and 60’s.

That makes sense. I've tried to get involved on the volunteer side since my marching days are clearly long past me. The problem I've run into is that corps really want someone who can be with them for the entire tour. Maybe when I'm independently wealthy and can afford not to work the summer months I'll be able to that. For now, I guess I'll just stick to being in the stands. 

18 hours ago, Lance said:

hoping we get the histrionics on here about woodwinds that we got on here 15 years ago regarding A&E.

it's been pretty tame so far. 

online petitions with thousands of signatures, dinos getting audiences with the DCI bod, and hundreds of people threatening to stop being fans, many of whom followed through. 

the good ol' days. 

Sorry, for the most part, DCI already drove those people away.