2020 Rules Proposals

Another proposal that I feel might be tough to like.  Good luck with the logistics of this one.

Evaluation Structure Innovation

Proposed by: Chris Komnick, Nick Monzi, Jason Robb, Madison Scouts

Summary: This proposal calls for a pilot of a new evaluation structure centered on fan engagement, that would give audience members the opportunity to rank and rate their favorite corps in various categories. At Monday-Tuesday shows, groups would receive an overall ranking based on fan voting; no adjudicator feedback or scores. At Wednesday-Thursday shows, groups would receive an overall ranking based on fan voting and adjudicator feedback; no scores. At Friday-Sunday shows, groups would receive only adjudicator feedback and scores based on the current adjudication structure.

On the record: “We propose to introduce new layers within the evaluation and feedback system, so as to better maximize fan engagement, the dosage of information provided to corps and adjudicators, and the quality of adjudicator feedback.”

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That makes sense. I've tried to get involved on the volunteer side since my marching days are clearly long past me. The problem I've run into is that corps really want someone who can be with them for the entire tour. Maybe when I'm independently wealthy and can afford not to work the summer months I'll be able to that. For now, I guess I'll just stick to being in the stands. 

Cadets let people come out in 16 day increments in 2013 and 14.  He would use his vacation time.  He has 40 days vacation so why not?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Making mental note to bring up 200 or so members every time there is a plea for housing or rehearsal facilities for the current sized corps. More bodies just going to make it worse....

You would think that with the number of sports camps (both professional and AA,) cheer camps, etc., housing for large groups would still be available. But I have also heard that a lot of bridges were burned in the 80's and 90's. I know we heard rumors on tour but I didn't lend them much credence. 

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

So did they think that they were going to just covertly slip this one by us?  I know they think we’re stupid and inferior but most of us have passable reading skills.  Doh!  🙄

All future rule changes should be put into Middle English. I don't think it's being taught anymore in the US. That would probably avoid most leaks simply because people would fall asleep 4 sentences into the proposal. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

At the end of the day that you describe, there are still 154 participants on the field. How does that square with the stated rationale of providing the experience to a larger number of young people?

If that indeed is the purpose of this proposal, then without a concurrent proposal to increase the size of the unit, it's a hollow statement. 154 = 154 = 154 all day long. You're just replacing current young people with other young people and the overall number of young people participating in the activity remains unchanged. You don't get "new participants and new revenue" from that -- unless this is all some cynical ploy to double the audition numbers by creating false hopes for thousands of young WW players.

Now, if the rationale were revised, and instead it were put this way . . . 

"Opening the drum corps activity to young musicians currently excluded, and closing the drum corps activity to young musicians currently included, is consistent with the DCI mission to offer the opportunity of the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to a wider pool of young people worldwide.”

. . . then we'd have a more honest statement of intent, one with a vision of changing the nature of the activity, not some fig leaf about bringing more youth into it.

yes that is always the key pivot and too often the problem.

11 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You would think that with the number of sports camps (both professional and AA,) cheer camps, etc., housing for large groups would still be available. But I have also heard that a lot of bridges were burned in the 80's and 90's. I know we heard rumors on tour but I didn't lend them much credence. 

and at what $$$ cost (sports camps don't do 10 weeks on the road, now do they?)

19 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Where I am at the problem is letting any “outsiders” use facilities that the taxpayers maintain. And corps have the added problem of predators that has come out and the “noise” as schools and practice fields are in residential area.  All it takes is one person raising hell at a school board or borough meeting and the board members figure it’s not worth the trouble to say yes. After all they might lose votes next election

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and at what $$$ cost (sports camps don't do 10 weeks on the road, now do they?)

No earthly idea. That would be be between the individual facilities. I know we housed at West Georgia College and University of Tampa back in the day. But that was LONG ago. I would be fairly confident in saying that the cost would be pretty darn high, especially in the south.