2020 Rules Proposals

I haven't spoken with Director Bonfiglio about this but I am wondering:  Is the proposal about color guard judging and fine skills vs. general impression but a foot in the door to have eventually 2 color guard judges on each panel, one doing the effect, the other doing the fine skills? Similar to the other captions having two judges at least. As today's "guards" (who don't guard anything anymore) are usually compromised of at least as many mms as there are in percussion sections and half the size of the usual WC brass section, each which have multiple judges on each panel, would the guardsters be having another moment of perceived unfairness?

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Cue Beowulf. 

Or Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and The Green Knight, etc. I think we did them all in Brit-Lit at one point. But we also had to learn Latin (and it wasn't our elective language,) which was taught by one of the Jesuit Sisters of Mercy (or Sisters of No Mercy in my case.) I had holy water thrown on me once....long story.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Or Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and The Green Night, etc. I think we did them all in Brit-Lit at one point. But we also had to learn Latin (and it wasn't our elective language,) which was taught by one of the Jesuit Sisters of Mercy (or Sisters of No Mercy in my case.) I had holy water thrown on me once....long story.

it didn't work apparently.😂

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Or Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and The Green Night, etc. I think we did them all in Brit-Lit at one point. But we also had to learn Latin (and it wasn't our elective language,) which was taught by one of the Jesuit Sisters of Mercy (or Sisters of No Mercy in my case.) I had holy water thrown on me once....long story.

People have had nervous breakdowns in Brit Lit classes. 😂 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and at what $$$ cost (sports camps don't do 10 weeks on the road, now do they?)

A year of cheerleading costs more than a year of drum corps. The top cheer squads don’t go on “tour” but they usually fly to two or three competitions and do 6-8 more regional competitions that are drivable. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, xandandl said:

it didn't work apparently.😂

LOL. It didn't. But basically this is "what had happened was...."

In every Jesuit Catholic School, there is a supposed to be a crucifix above every door. So we're sitting is Sister Mary Rebecca's class having our weekly Satan discussion when a new kid walks in and slams the door. The crucifix falls off the wall and hits the floor. Jesus' head breaks off...rolls across the floor and hits Sister Mary Rebecca in the foot. For whatever reason, in that moment, any semblance of self control I had was lost and I started laughing. Sister Mary Rebecca reaches down to her nun "Bat Utility Belt" and busts out a vial of holy water and proceeds to douse me with it, screaming "Don't laugh...that's what Satan wants you to do!" 

True story

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Trying to think which major college band I saw with huge band. What I remember was three blocks moving around and no individual moves. Lol saw more drill with some of the alumni corps...

I was in Purdue Band early 80s with 425+ on field & it was a lot like that.  But we did sound good in the rehearsal room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. It didn't. But basically this is "what had happened was...."

In every Jesuit Catholic School, there is a supposed to be a crucifix above every door. So we're sitting is Sister Mary Rebecca's class having our weekly Satan discussion when a new kid walks in and slams the door. The crucifix falls off the wall and hits the floor. Jesus' head breaks off...rolls across the floor and hits Sister Mary Rebecca in the foot. For whatever reason, in that moment, any semblance of self control I had was lost and I started laughing. Sister Mary Rebecca reaches down to her nun "Bat Utility Belt" and busts out a vial of holy water and proceeds to douse me with it, screaming "Don't laugh...that's what Satan wants you to do!" 

True story

but all Jesuits are only male. She was a hireling.

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was in Purdue Band early 80s with 425+ on field & it was a lot like that.  But we did sound good in the rehearsal room.

At UA in the very early 90's (started in 1990,) we had something around 350. It was more like marching large, gelatinous blobs very slowly. The blobs did have shape though.