2020 Rules Proposals

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Irony is on the DCA side Hy Dreitzer said he didn’t care if they went to 6 valves as long as they stayed in G.

And IIRC 2 valves were in use 1979

Doesn't it seem so short-sighted to look back at that time now? If those people had it their way, DCI would have failed. Growth and understanding happens with time. The vibration of a reed instead of the lips will not change the activity. The arrangers are not going to suddenly lose their taste for and want for that signature brass sonority.

What will most likely happen is there will be a couple of WW soloist in the first year, and then the beginning of the ballad will be a WW moment. Outside of that most else will stay the same... 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Doesn't it seem so short-sighted to look back at that time now? If those people had it their way, DCI would have failed. Growth and understanding happens with time. The vibration of a reed instead of the lips will not change the activity. The arrangers are going to suddenly lose their taste and want for the signature brass sonority.

What will most likely happen is there will be a couple of WW soloist in the first year, and then the beginning of the ballad will be a WW moment. Outside of that most else will stay the same... 

Only bringing it up as a historical note... I make no “what if” guesses or claim people were/are wrong...

Good thing I didn’t mention first change to corps was adding that first valve....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 1/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, jeffmolnar said:

The ironic thing is the two proposals could be mutually exclusive. You’ll need field mics if you march woodwinds. DCI groups thankfully don’t follow the “concert band on the field” methodology anymore. Today’s brasslines are playing loud. Where do marching woodwinds fit in to that?

I don’t think you would ever see a full  line of woodwinds on the field it would be for solos small ensembles in the pit area stuff like that 

Edited by Triple Forte

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What does "Open Class Grand Finalist Corps" mean?

Seriously: I've never encountered that phrase before.

When DCI had a Division II and Division III, each with its own finals, they would sometimes then have a combined "grand" finals. But what would "open class grand finalist corps" mean?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, Bruckner8 said:

No. If you increase the numbers, you can march 12 Alto Saxes that would be heard. You probably need 16-18 Clarinets, but you get the idea. 

So on top of complaints about "thunderous goo," with 12 alto saxes you would hear complaints about tinny goo. Unless they all had microphones so it could be thunderous.

4 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I don’t think you would ever see a full  line of woodwinds on the field it would be for solos small ensembles in the pit area stuff like that 

Right, it'd be foolish to march 20 clarinets to get a clarinet sound into the mix, 2 max, one per split and individually mic them and balance them into the mix. You could add a whole ww choir with 10 - 12 members each one with a mic that is mixed into the ensemble blend.

If down the line you add a whole 'nother 54 seat bus You will be adding 40 brass, (or any combination that the staff wants that year. 30 brass , 10 guard, etc..,) on top of the added WW's.. 

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s what they said about trombones. 

Oh I hear you.  I don’t want or like any instrument changes.  I don’t even like trombones French horns..etc.   Not me but someone else might say trombones are brass but when you put flutes out there you totally change and ruin the whole thing (ie sound).   I think that’s the dangerous line you cross  with some people in regards to using  woodwinds . 

Just some random thoughts… 😊

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no, people were ###### it leaked

Interesting. As I recall, the first hints on these forums that woodwinds and other large changes were under consideration happened as far back as the night of Finals, nearly five months ago. But the conversation really picked up a couple months later when cixelsyd began closely examining DCI's various strategic initatives and asking what they might mean.

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

any instrument is the gateway to making the maximum number of members to 200ish

Yeah, in DCP discussions in the fall, a number of people here said they expected DCI to push for a size increase this year. Does anyone know if that was actually under consideration, and if so, why it was shelved?