2020 Rules Proposals

6 hours ago, garfield said:

You are surely correct that some submissions seem incomplete of signatures.  I believe you are just misinterpreting the guidelines as you read them.  May I give you an example?

Steve Vento did a full-blown study of the audio dynamics of A&E and came to the conclusion that DCI should formally limit the amount of decibels to specific levels based on the show location.  He found OSHA research and pages of supporting materials.  Yet, nowhere can you find that one Mr. Steve Vento is presenting an official Rules Proposal Form with only his signature on it.  His proposal must be submitted by a DCI Member corps and that corps' director must sign the submission.  That's why you see Mark Richardson's signature on his proposal according to 1.1 and 1.2 you referenced earlier.

Marie Czapinski is ALREADY a DCI judge and is already and "appropriate Judge Liaison" to submit a proposal.  Steve Vento is a staff arranger at Academy.  Similarly, Kathy Black needs no "sponsorship" by a corps director because she is the voicebox of the member corps.  She doesn't need a "sponsoring corps director" signature because she can't unilaterally submit something without the consent of her BoD members.

Denise Bonfiglio doesn't need another signature because she's a non-instructional staff member of a member corps (although I agree with you that she needs to sign her own submission, which she'll likely do when she arrives in Indy before the vote; it won't be "tabled" awaiting correction.

The 1.1 and 1.2 rule you're referring to that, I think, is attracting most of your attention is that Kathy Black doesn't have a corps sig under her submission.  She doesn't need one.  She's the leader of the whole shebang and the BoD doesn't need a "sponsoring" corps to support their submission.

Nothing in the rules we've seen actually allows Kathy Black to submit or sponsor a proposal.

Maybe there's some other rule that does, but we have not seen the exception you describe -- and no, it can't be assumed.

But as I said before, I'm sure they'll fix this. 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Doesn't it seem so short-sighted to look back at that time now? If those people had it their way, DCI would have failed. Growth and understanding happens with time. The vibration of a reed instead of the lips will not change the activity. The arrangers are not going to suddenly lose their taste for and want for that signature brass sonority.

What will most likely happen is there will be a couple of WW soloist in the first year, and then the beginning of the ballad will be a WW moment. Outside of that most else will stay the same... 

You absolutely do not know that sticking with fewer values or remaining in the key of G would have led to the end of drum corps.

And of course allowing woodwinds will change the activity. Maye not a lot, maybe for good, but it will definitely change.

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm going to be that guy:

First lines of Canterbury Tales (which is in Middle English):

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote

The droghte of March hath perced to the roote

And bathed every veyne in swich licour,

First lines of Beowulf (which is in Old English):

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena      in géardagum

þéodcyninga      þrym gefrúnon·

hú ðá æþelingas      ellen fremedon.

Here comes those nightmares again. 😂

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What does "Open Class Grand Finalist Corps" mean?

The reason I ask is that per the rules that were posted, these corps can vote. But which corps are they? There were Open Class Finalist Corps last year, but none were called "Open Class Grand Finalists", as far as I know. Is this just a weird random error, or does it mean that only some (or none) of the O.C. finalist corps can vote?

• Like 1

Well, I've said here for ten years that I have no problems with adding woodwinds as long as they're not allowed to be amplified, and I stand by that.

So bring on the bagpipes.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, even the best BOA bands don't move anywhere near as much as many of the best DCI corps do.

I think that choice is being made because of step size concerns, and ease of cleaning. Most BOA bands have 2 or 3 rehearsals a week for 3-4 hours.. The average drum corps does more than that in one day... Without clarity you are nothing.. So the drill writers "turn it down" in difficulty and try to find easier ways to be effective...

Watching Jeff Sacktig's drill for Vandegrift this year should ease any concerns about fitting 200+ on a field..

35 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You absolutely do not know that sticking with fewer values or remaining in the key of G would have led to the end of drum corps.

And of course allowing woodwinds will change the activity. Maye not a lot, maybe for good, but it will definitely change.

You're right, but given that corps are allowed to use any keyed brass instrument now and they don't use G bugles because of the superiority of Bb horns and the ability to sell used instruments to Marching bands across the country, it would have been difficult to sustain the G Bugles as such niche instruments.. 

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Adding woodwinds was deemed an easier change than increasing membership size?

That's fascinating.

Yes. You need a motivation to need to increase membership size. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

You're right, but given that corps are allowed to use any keyed brass instrument now and they don't use G bugles because of the superiority of Bb horns and the ability to sell used instruments to Marching bands across the country, it would have been difficult to sustain the G Bugles as such niche instruments.. 

Resell value is a plus for Bb horns as only corps used G BITD. But please explain how Bb is superior without comparing Bb horns today vs G of 2v or before. Have played 3v G Kanstul and same as the Bb except for key

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Resell value is a plus for Bb horns as only corps used G BITD. But please explain how Bb is superior without comparing Bb horns today vs G of 2v or before. Have played 3v G Kanstul and same as the Bb except for key

Having played both, A G 5/4 Contrabass in 2000 BAC and the similar model 5/4 Bb Contra with BAC in 2002

The G Bugle was so hard to center, It was easier to play louder without distortion but that was the only advantage it had over the Bb horn. Tuning, Range everything was easier to master on the Bb horn. Not to mention having to read Treble clef music and having to hand write valve combinations on all my music... 

For the kids having learned to play on Bb Horns their entire career,  to have to pick up a G bugle for the first time at an audition camp in November and trying to learn a new instrument, instead of hitting the ground running. The Bb is superior

• Thanks 1