2020 Rules Proposals

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Liberally, and immediately in 2021.  The proposal serves as a directive for DCI corps to do just that.  As stated under "Audience Impact":

"Creative use of new instruments in 2021 should help blunt objections and increase acceptance".  

The agenda is set right there, in so many words.  Clearly, since use of the new instruments is already defined here as "creative", anyone looking to score points for creativity in 2021 competition knows what they must do.

And someone here commented that it was poorly worded.

Pfft.  Hardly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Having played both, A G 5/4 Contrabass in 2000 BAC and the similar model 5/4 Bb Contra with BAC in 2002

The G Bugle was so hard to center, It was easier to play louder without distortion but that was the only advantage it had over the Bb horn. Tuning, Range everything was easier to master on the Bb horn. Not to mention having to read Treble clef music and having to hand write valve combinations on all my music... 

For the kids having learned to play on Bb Horns their entire career,  to have to pick up a G bugle for the first time at an audition camp in November and trying to learn a new instrument, instead of hitting the ground running. The Bb is superior

Forgot to ask... who was the manufacturer... but got a feeling I know the answer already

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Now in contrast to my previous comment in which I defended your position, here I'm going to push back a little. It is very likely that "career and financial gain of adults in the activity" does in fact play some role in their decision making. It wouldn't take too much imagination to come up with some hypothetical proposals that would be good for the activity but would put some of these decision-makers out of a job. And it's very difficult for someone to make a decision that might put him or her out of work. The directors are only human.

No imagination is required. 

DCI was created to replace the VFW as the de-facto championship show organizer, replace existing judging organizations as the providers of contest judges, replace Fleetwood as the typical supplier of top event recordings, etc.  Some jobs were created, and others went away.

Ever since, DCI and their corps have always been tinkering with who-does-what.  Who should run shows - corps?  DCI?  Third party event partners?  How many shows should be run by each of those entities?  Should corps/DCI all develop their own merchandise, or can a third-party like PepWear do it better?  What other supplies can be discounted via either sponsorships or bulk purchasing?  

Certainly, looking at that DCI strategic plan, questions like those would be part of the discussions among activity leaders.  How they answer, though, reflects a balance between personal gain, best interest of their corps, and best interest of the activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

The third sentence of the opening paragraph of the Guidelines:

"The DCI Membership approved an exception to hold a 'Rules Congress' in 2019".  That's the big shindig happening on Wednesday.

Ahh, so it was 2018.  Oh, of course, Doh.

That's why they voted the exception to Congress this year instead of 2020.

This year is 2020.

Honestly, I have no idea why that sentence says that.  Was there a double-secret Rules Congress in 2019, never announced publicly?

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

This year is 2020.

Honestly, I have no idea why that sentence says that.  Was there a double-secret Rules Congress in 2019, never announced publicly?

What's happening this week is the END of the Congress.  The Congress was held throughout 2019 an the summary doc describes all of the entities involved.  Caucuses produced directives that committees pounded into proposals that are summarized in the Rules Proposals shown.

You said it yourself: '14, '16, & '18 and the next one was scheduled for the SUMMER of 2020.  But they voted to hold it this year instead.

Edited by garfield

9 hours ago, EricS said:

Ant there is the aspect of size of MM on the field having a negative affect on the visual design.  Look at the larger BOA band show designs.  There are so many kids on the field that it looks like mass confusion.  Especially the Texas mega schools, where they think bigger is better, more is more and money is obviously not a problem.

You see BOA design influence already. The days of run and gun have been phasing out for a while now

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Bagpipes are definitely, definitely, without hesitation my line in the sand.

The first corps that uses them becomes my hotdog corps and I don't care who they are.

Until someone figures out articulation in a wind bag, there are four great pieces of kindling in every bagpipe "instrument".

Accordions however, I can get behind.  Crown blending 10 marching accordions to that brass line would be glorious!

/kidding

See we have a band here, Governor Livingston that uses them for pregame stuff and have successfully incorporated them into their show several times. I’ll take that over wholesale woodwinds 

6 hours ago, garfield said:

And I would suggest that just allowing WW is not a money-maker; probably the opposite except for the motivated team that wants to use the "cuts" to start a new unit.

But, adding a busload is a definite revenue generator!  (And a false pretense of those who don't understand income statements or balance sheets.)

And an expense generator too but that’s continuously ignored 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, garfield said:

What's happening this week is the END of the Congress.  The Congress was held throughout 2019 an the summary doc describes all of the entities involved.  Caucuses produced directives that committees pounded into proposals that are summarized in the Rules Proposals shown.

You said it yourself: '14, '16, & '18 and the next one was scheduled for the SUMMER of 2020.  But they voted to hold it this year instead.

The "Congress" is the meeting/voting part, held in 2014, 2016, 2018, and now in 2020.  But not in 2019.

And if you do not believe me, then get it straight from the source:

https://www.dci.org/news?contentName=congress