2020 Rules Proposals

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Any claims that woodwind players are "currently excluded" from DCI have been officially refuted... by DCI.

https://www.dci.org/news/these-woodwind-players-do-drum-corps-and-so-can-you

Oh, I DO love these “gotcha” moments.  Thank you.  Made my morning. 

Read the member interviews.  Pure gold.  I’m giddy. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

See we have a band here, Governor Livingston that uses them for pregame stuff and have successfully incorporated them into their show several times. I’ll take that over wholesale woodwinds 

GL has used pipes for decades. I first saw them in the early 70’s, and they had been using them before that. They were a fine band.

Kearny NJ also used them at that time (the town had a large Scottish/Irish population).

5 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I don’t know if this has been covered but is everyone emailing the directors and encouraging them to vote no to woodwinds? 

Now why would anyone want to do that?! Or contact DCI directly to seek more  clarification on all these procedural issues for that matter? It's so much easier to just hop online and go round and round with the same 5 or 6 people in the Great DCP Echo Chamber. As amusing as that has been, nothing will ever get resolved here, that's for sure. Hey, maybe someone should start up one of those online petitions. Those things always work! 😝

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Now why would anyone want to do that?! Or contact DCI directly to seek more  clarification on all these procedural issues for that matter? It's so much easier to just hop online and go round and round with the same 5 or 6 people in the Great DCP Echo Chamber. As amusing as that has been, nothing will ever get resolved here, that's for sure. Hey, maybe someone should start up one of those online petitions. Those things always work! 😝

The last time we contacted DCI and corps directors was about a sex offender marching and teaching 8 years ago, we got one response and you’d probably faint if I told you who it was.  That imo, is far more serious than woodwinds.  I expected more than one response. So I wouldn’t waste my time.  I do have one corps director on my Facebook page.  That thing is on fire 🔥 with this stuff so I’m guessing he knows how I feel. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The last time we contacted DCI and corps directors was about a sex offender marching and teaching 8 years ago, we got one response and you’d probably faint if I told you who it was.  That imo, is far more serious than woodwinds.  I expected more than one response. So I wouldn’t waste my time.  I do have one corps director on my Facebook page.  That thing is on fire 🔥 with this stuff so I’m guessing he knows how I feel. 

I think we beat this to death a couple of years ago again, but this is just another example of why DCI needs a team to actually handle legitimate complaints as well as monitor social media. We have multiple teams at my job that do nothing but scour the internet and reach out to customers who have an issue and would prefer to air those grievances online. They of course have that right regardless of what we have in place, but it significantly improves our service delivery and optics. And let's face it, DCI has some horrible optics. Regardless of whether the responsibility for the issue (whatever it may be,) lies with DCI or the member corps, DCI is the face to which the name is attached. Ignoring it or saying it's "not my problem" is like an agent getting angry at a customer because "they" weren't the ones who did the customer wrong. 

Sorry I'm grumpy....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think we beat this to death a couple of years ago again, but this is just another example of why DCI needs a team to actually handle legitimate complaints as well as monitor social media. We have multiple teams at my job that do nothing but scour the internet and reach out to customers who have an issue and would prefer to air those grievances online. They of course have that right regardless of what we have in place, but it significantly improves our service delivery and optics. And let's face it, DCI has some horrible optics. Regardless of whether the responsibility for the issue (whatever it may be,) lies with DCI or the member corps, DCI is the face to which the name is attached. Ignoring it or saying it's "not my problem" is like an agent getting angry at a customer because "they" weren't the ones who did the customer wrong. 

Sorry I'm grumpy....

This tweet sums it up for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

LOL

<-- woodwind player that marched DCI

As was my brother. He was a 1st chair all state clarinet player who ended up marching Baritone in DCI. It can be done with talent and lots of hard work. I would, however, think it's a little harder now as the talent level just keeps escalating across all MM positions. You used to be able to get away a little bit of talent, a killer work ethic and a whole lot desire to succeed, even if you could only count to potato (such as in my case.) Just come to camp, bust your ### and don't leave until they tell you you're cut. Now, it seems these cats come out of the womb being able to move and play and high levels of skill. 

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This tweet sums it up for me. 

Chalk one up for Gadget....

gotta watch out for those vertically challenged low brass...

• Like 3