2020 Rules Proposals

40 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hey, because you said THIS!:

"BD 2008-2013 performed incredibly. I still hate every show, and don’t watch or listen to them"

Geesh, you used the term and I was referring to it and saying ce la vis! 

But thanks.  I think there was a compliment buried in there somewhere.

You tried to Stu my words to support of your defense of revenue without factoring in costs 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes I hated BD those years. There were other corps there too, but why let rational thought get in the way of your defense of the dci powers 

But did you hate the way they used woodwinds those years?  😈

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Your premise is in error.  As I am constantly being reminded, DCI is only the member corps.

DCI voting members are a  subset of the corps. But even those not considered DCI Members are still part of DCI. So the question remains. 

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But did you hate the way they used woodwinds those years?  😈

They didn’t use them 

37 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

That's the issue, Any other circuit pales in comparison with the amount of rehearsal time that a DCI group can devote to the product.. That's like comparing the Ohio State Marching Band and saying that you know what DCI would sound like... 

Its a different animal. There will never be more WW members on a field than Brass members in DCI, as is common in most BOA groups. DCI will maintain it Brass dominant sonority.

You don’t know that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

They didn’t use them 

Hence the —> 😈.  Too bad it’s purple and not blue....

yeah need a caffeine hit as getting punchy....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Any other circuit pales in comparison with the amount of rehearsal time that a DCI group can devote to the product..

Pales in comparison?  Not in my opinion. 

Open-class corps generally do not have as much rehearsal time as world-class corps, yet several of them knock off a few WC corps and a bunch more are hot on their tails competitively.

Top competitive marching bands are exceptionally good at what they do.  They cannot rehearse full-time while school is in session, but they do full-time rehearsals before school starts and their season is about as long as DCI.  These students work hard, and work smart.  And they are there for all their high school years, not just one-and-done.

A full-tour corps putting in 11 straight weeks of 24/7 drum corps will usually achieve a better product from that additional rehearsal time.  But that does not make it a different animal. 

There are drum corps with even more limited rehearsal time/continuity - "weekend warriors".  I pay to see them too, because I just love the brass/percussion-centric sounds of drum corps at all levels.  I know from comparison at all levels, with considerable overlap in quality of design and performance, that marching band just does not have that same effect on me - and it is because of the instrumentation.

I have tried green eggs and ham.  Many times.  It is pretty good.  But I will not pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

?

Consider how sloppy and incomplete things are now.  Then, remember that before these proposals were published, they went through a process of refinement where the Executive Director, the Artistic Director, the Judge Administrator, and a Rules and System Task Force of nine other people go to work.  Among their tasks:

• check proposals for completeness
  • get input from other DCI personnel on financial, marketing, and promoter/sponsor impact
  • consider suggested implementation timeline
  • re-publish refined proposals December 1st for Task Force to review
  • then solicit input on judging impact, logistics, operational changes, and timeline (again)
  • re-re-publish proposals December 8th, reject those with insufficient data/research or lack of clarity/definition

I don't disagree that the whole process seems to have been mishandled. But there's no enforcement mechanism. Who has the power to force the all instruments motion to be tabled for a year because it was never properly submitted? No one, I think. The board is simply going to say: "So we didn't do this the right way--what are you gonna do about it?"

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Any claims that woodwind players are "currently excluded" from DCI have been officially refuted... by DCI.

https://www.dci.org/news/these-woodwind-players-do-drum-corps-and-so-can-you

Nice catch.