2020 Rules Proposals

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Any claims that woodwind players are "currently excluded" from DCI have been officially refuted... by DCI.

https://www.dci.org/news/these-woodwind-players-do-drum-corps-and-so-can-you

Wow... too bad the Internet can't be erased.  :tongue:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... too bad the Internet can't be erased.  :tongue:

Was it early last season we were posting about a corps that hired someone to “cleanse” a staff member web “footprint”. 
not naming corps but thread is in Tech Forum

edit: Lol yeah last year 1/19/2019 so two weeks shy of a full year

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't disagree that the whole process seems to have been mishandled. But there's no enforcement mechanism. Who has the power to force the all instruments motion to be tabled for a year because it was never properly submitted? No one, I think. The board is simply going to say: "So we didn't do this the right way--what are you gonna do about it?"

Bingo

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t pay to see BOA, TOB, Cavalcade of Bands, the new Maryland circuit or USBands now. Why would dci be any different since it’s the exact same product? 
why is that so hard for someone as intelligent as you to understand?

That is like saying "I don't pay to see community theater, so why would I want to pay to go to a Broadway show? It's the same product."

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That is like saying "I don't pay to see community theater, so why would I want to pay to go to a Broadway show? It's the same product."

Think the point is Jeff is a “captive audience” with BOA etc..... 

31 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The production values of the top BOA bands now exceeds or rivals the production values of drum corps. We're waiting for some evidence that the look and feel would be significantly better or different from a design standpoint.

Marching band, with woodwinds, is already a thing and audiences who don't have kids in those bands have the options to fly to Indianapolis or wherever the big regionals are and pay to watch it. They don't, and for many people, it's because the sound just doesn't do anything for them. But hey, if the sound of clarinets in a dome stadium gets you all hot and bothered, please, enjoy! It's perfectly fine, because it's YOUR taste.

It would be nice if those people who are into the sound of bands could just leave everyone else's tastes alone. 😎

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MikeD said:

No. It’s actually like saying “I like apples but I don’t like oranges. Someone decided to replace all the apples with oranges so why would I eat the oranges?  I’ll just go someplace else.”

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

Drum corps needs to be allowed to evolve .... by regressing into marching band. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It would be nice if those people who are into the sound of bands could just leave everyone else's tastes alone. 😎

But isn't it the corps themselves (member corps) that would approve / disapprove this? Petition the voting members. They're really the ones that think allowing woodwinds would be advantageous to their organizations.