2020 Rules Proposals

21 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The production values of the top BOA bands now exceeds or rivals the production values of drum corps. We're waiting for some evidence that the look and feel would be significantly better or different from a design standpoint.

Marching band, with woodwinds, is already a thing and audiences who don't have kids in those bands have the options to fly to Indianapolis or wherever the big regionals are and pay to watch it. They don't, and for many people, it's because the sound just doesn't do anything for them. But hey, if the sound of clarinets in a dome stadium gets you all hot and bothered, please, enjoy! It's perfectly fine, because it's YOUR taste.

It would be nice if those people who are into the sound of bands could just leave everyone else's tastes alone. 😎

Note that the quote was "BOA, TOB, Cavalcade of Bands, the new Maryland circuit or USBands". You selected one group and mentioned a few of the very top groups, who are indeed amazing. I have been around most of the others since the early 70's in one way or another. I love what they do for many thousands of students. Doesn't mean that they are DCI WC level, nor would they think they are. 

The people who decide what DCI is and isn't make the calls. So far WW have not been legalized. Hopefully that will change, but if not this year, maybe down the road. They do what they think best; it is what they are charged to do within DCI. 

It is absolutely fine to be against the new rule proposal; we each have our own POV. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No. It’s actually like saying “I like apples but I don’t like oranges. Someone decided to replace all the apples with oranges so why would I eat the oranges?  I’ll just go someplace else.”

No, that is not at all what he is saying. He said he would pay to see DCI organizations with WW because he would not pay to see BOA/TOB/etc....so that make the assumption that WW were implemented in DCI.

In any case, drum corps and scholastic bands are not as disparate as apples and oranges. It is more like Fuji and Pink Lady Apples. They are both types of apples, as DCI corps and scholastic bands are both types of marching bands. 

27 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It would be nice if those people who are into the sound of bands could just leave everyone else's tastes alone. 😎

Wouldn’t it now! Never understood the - if you don’t agree with me there’s something wrong with you judgement types. Confront it daily! 

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The people who decide what DCI is and isn't make the calls. So far WW have not been legalized. Hopefully that will change, but if not this year, maybe down the road. They do what they think best; it is what they are charged to do within DCI. 

Does anyone really think that WW will not happen within the next five years?

15 minutes ago, MikeD said:

In any case, drum corps and scholastic bands are not as disparate as apples and oranges. It is more like Fuji and Pink Lady Apples. They are both types of apples, as DCI corps and scholastic bands are both types of marching bands. 

Drum corps and scholastic bands are as disparate as, say, string quartets and symphony orchestras.

A friend of mine loves string quartets. Every few years, he flies up to a big international quartet competition in Banff. I think if I told him that the event he attends is the same as if he attended a competition for full orchestra, he'd strongly disagree.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Drum corps and scholastic bands are as disparate as, say, string quartets and symphony orchestras.

A friend of mine loves string quartets. Every few years, he flies up to a big international quartet competition in Banff. I think if I told him that the event he attends is the same as if he attended a competition for full orchestra, he'd strongly disagree.

Show a picture / video of any drum corps to Joe Average on the street and ask them what they're watching. They'll say a "marching band". If the difference requires you to be directly involved in the activity, is there really that much of a difference?

• Like 2

lol, i used to try to tell people the difference between marching bands and drum corps talking about instrumentation, non-school affiliation, etc. 

i stopped pretty quickly, though, because they would just look at me like i was an idiot...you know, the raised eyebrow with "so marching band" on the tips of their tongues. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

That is like saying "I don't pay to see community theater, so why would I want to pay to go to a Broadway show? It's the same product."

i go to see both of those. but i don't pay to see marching ensembles with woodwinds. Why? I have no desire to see woodwinds marching around the field

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

No. It’s actually like saying “I like apples but I don’t like oranges. Someone decided to replace all the apples with oranges so why would I eat the oranges?  I’ll just go someplace else.”

this

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

But isn't it the corps themselves (member corps) that would approve / disapprove this? Petition the voting members. They're really the ones that think allowing woodwinds would be advantageous to their organizations.

have they ever been consulted?