2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

No, that is not at all what he is saying. He said he would pay to see DCI organizations with WW because he would not pay to see BOA/TOB/etc....so that make the assumption that WW were implemented in DCI.

In any case, drum corps and scholastic bands are not as disparate as apples and oranges. It is more like Fuji and Pink Lady Apples. They are both types of apples, as DCI corps and scholastic bands are both types of marching bands. 

wrong. i am saying I WOULD NOT pay to see DCI with woodwinds. sorry you got that idea...and i have no idea how you got it.

51 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Show a picture / video of any drum corps to Joe Average on the street and ask them what they're watching. They'll say a "marching band". If the difference requires you to be directly involved in the activity, is there really that much of a difference?

enough for me

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

Show a picture / video of any drum corps to Joe Average on the street and ask them what they're watching. They'll say a "marching band". If the difference requires you to be directly involved in the activity, is there really that much of a difference?

Ask someone who knows nothing about racing what kinds of cars they race in 24 Hours of Le Mans and they'll say "racecars."
The ignorance of Joe Blow, who doesn't know because he doesn't care, isn't probably the strongest argument for saying an important distinction doesn't matter to those who DO know and do care.

Marching band fans, you already HAVE your product. Is the problem here that down deep, you all really think it kind of sucks? That maybe if there were simply better kids playing that musical mix, it'd all of a sudden be less sucky? Cuz that's what I'm getting.. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Ask someone who knows nothing about racing what kinds of cars they race in 24 Hours of Le Mans and they'll say "racecars."

The ignorance of Joe Blow, who doesn't know because he doesn't care, isn't probably the strongest argument for saying an important distinction doesn't matter. 

Isn't that like saying drum corps play bugles? Oh wait.

Edited by cybersnyder
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

wrong. i am saying I WOULD NOT pay to see DCI with woodwinds. sorry you got that idea...and i have no idea how you got it.

Oh, I know you won't. IMO your analogy is invalid on that. You make them seem more disparate than I believe them to be. Just MHO.

As with any of us, feel free to hold your own opinion, and  attend/not attend DCI shows for any reason you wish.

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Oh, I know you won't. IMO your analogy is invalid on that. You make them seem more disparate than I believe them to be. Just MHO.

As with any of us, feel free to hold your own opinion, and  attend/not attend DCI shows for any reason you wish.

my analogy is spot on. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The ignorance of Joe Blow, who doesn't know because he doesn't care, isn't probably the strongest argument for saying an important distinction doesn't matter to those who DO know and do care.

Marching band fans, you already HAVE your product. Is the problem here that down deep, you all really think it kind of sucks? That maybe if there were simply better kids playing that musical mix, it'd all of a sudden be less sucky? Cuz that's what I'm getting.. 

Actually, Joe Blow is and always has been correct, not ignorant. Drum corps is and always has been a form of marching band. (IMO of course).

Your last statements is 1000% not what I think. Don't know about others.

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

What you're saying is that DCI should cater to the lowest common denominator: people are ignorant, and DCI must adapt to that ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What you're saying is that DCI should cater to the lowest common denominator: people are ignorant, and DCI must adapt to that ignorance.

Actually, it's not what I'm saying.