2020 Rules Proposals

If DCI goes all instrument, then it's going to sound different. That's certain. I did notice the proposal to disallow miking full ensembles and only allowing small ensembles / soloists to be miked. I wonder if that's an effort to stave off woodwinds? Corps with woodwinds will have less sound than those with none or few woodwinds. You can't use the PA to make up for fewer brass. So, I hope that rule passes. Then on further thought, maybe that would hasten adding ~50 members to the corps size. Personally, I think the field is getting cluttered already, add 50 members and we have college band. 

I think it's pretty clear the direction the activity is heading. Cirque du Soleil on the field. I wonder what year will be the first when a corps does zero marching - all dance or dance movements? I'm not hating on BD, but it will probably be them, they'll win and then everyone will do it the next year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Show a picture / video of any drum corps to Joe Average on the street and ask them what they're watching. They'll say a "marching band". If the difference requires you to be directly involved in the activity, is there really that much of a difference?

You bet there is a difference.  Joe Average spends $0 on DCI, does not march, volunteer, donate, or even talk it up on social media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If DCI goes all instrument, then it's going to sound different. That's certain. I did notice the proposal to disallow miking full ensembles and only allowing small ensembles / soloists to be miked. I wonder if that's an effort to stave off woodwinds? Corps with woodwinds will have less sound than those with none or few woodwinds. You can't use the PA to make up for fewer brass. So, I hope that rule passes. Then on further thought, maybe that would hasten adding ~50 members to the corps size. Personally, I think the field is getting cluttered already, add 50 members and we have college band. 

I think it's pretty clear the direction the activity is heading. Cirque du Soleil on the field. I wonder what year will be the first when a corps does zero marching - all dance or dance movements? I'm not hating on BD, but it will probably be them, they'll win and then everyone will do it the next year.

Sad, but probably true..peace

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You bet there is a difference.  Joe Average spends $0 on DCI, does not march, volunteer, donate, or even talk it up on social media.

That's out of context with what I was replying to. You're battling arguments I wasn't making.

6 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If DCI goes all instrument, then it's going to sound different. That's certain. 

On that, we share common ground.  And thanks for having the intellectual honesty to say so.  A couple of proponents are actually trying to convince dissenters that the sound will NOT change.  :sneaky2:

I did notice the proposal to disallow miking full ensembles and only allowing small ensembles / soloists to be miked. I wonder if that's an effort to stave off woodwinds? Corps with woodwinds will have less sound than those with none or few woodwinds. You can't use the PA to make up for fewer brass. So, I hope that rule passes. Then on further thought, maybe that would hasten adding ~50 members to the corps size. Personally, I think the field is getting cluttered already, add 50 members and we have college band. 

I think it's pretty clear the direction the activity is heading. 

No, exactly the opposite.  From your prior paragraph, it is totally unclear where this is heading.  And IMO, it is irresponsibly premature to propose any-instrument policy for all DCI divisions until that direction has been hashed out, and detailed in the proposal.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Out of context?  That is my point.  Joe Average is "out of context".

Ok, here’s your gold star. You’re right about whatever you think you’re right. Woodwinds will still pass. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, Triple Forte said:

I don’t think you would ever see a full  line of woodwinds on the field it would be for solos small ensembles in the pit area stuff like that 

Can't they already do that? I thought any instrument was legal from the sidelines.

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

Since DCI is the corps, how do you envision that happening? Who would form the new entity, and where would the corps come from?

I anticipate that as the budgets crunch, world/political situation worsens, and choices have to be made between being a local youth oriented program vs. a "Blast" like summer program for college marching band candidates that there will be a split in DCI. It would even include some World Class units if usual donors no longer go with all the changes but would fund a more youth oriented (compared to designer oriented) program. Some may sense these comments as extreme but the behind close door rancor of DCI meetings and corps reps has long been a tradition, even modus operandi of the organization. When Dan Acheson finally retires (due to age, illness or displeasures) watch the lid come off the boiling stew pot and everything spill over into an ugly mess. Public relations people like to present a tony pollyana image but DCI is far from that now and for several decades. 

• Thanks 2