2020 Rules Proposals

I think that all instrument will pass. Maybe a good idea since it’s a very fundamental change to the voicing of the ensemble is to allow OC to field woodwinds. It gives them a greater pool to recruit from and WW as part of drum corps will need to prove itself. 

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Ok, here’s your gold star. You’re right about whatever you think you’re right. Woodwinds will still pass. 

Then Yay Bando!  DCI - Marching Band’s Summer League!

More of what you already don’t watch!  Yay

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I anticipate that as the budgets crunch, world/political situation worsens, and choices have to be made between being a local youth oriented program vs. a "Blast" like summer program for college marching band candidates that there will be a split in DCI. It would even include some World Class units if usual donors no longer go with all the changes but would fund a more youth oriented (compared to designer oriented) program. Some may sense these comments as extreme but the behind close door rancor of DCI meetings and corps reps has long been a tradition, even modus operandi of the organization. When Dan Acheson finally retires (due to age, illness or displeasures) watch the lid come off the boiling stew pot and everything spill over into an ugly mess. Public relations people like to present a tony pollyana image but DCI is far from that now and for several decades. 

What is a “budget”?

Sincerely,

The instructors caucus

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I think that all instrument will pass. Maybe a good idea since it’s a very fundamental change to the voicing of the ensemble is to allow OC to field woodwinds. It gives them a greater pool to recruit from and WW as part of drum corps will need to prove itself. 

Yes because there has been such a need and grass roots outcry to fundamentally change the voicing of the ensemble so that those who lived it and loved it for the brass sound can finally take their money elsewhere. 

DCI - evolving ourselves into just another band circuit. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What is a “budget”?

Sincerely,

The instructors caucus

When Jim was volunteering two years ago, he heard one corps director and two board members complaining about how the staffs are driving the budgets out of control.  After he told me this, I asked why don’t they  just say no?  Perfect solution, in my mind. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When Jim was volunteering two years ago, he heard one corps director and two board members complaining about how the staffs are driving the budgets out of control.  After he told me this, I asked why don’t they  just say no?  Perfect solution, in my mind. 

He’s not the only person to have heard this complaint. Staff members have threatened to leave if they don’t get their way. 

• Like 1

I posted this in the "rumors" section as well...

The reason I chose UW-Whitewater instead of UW-Madison for college had quite a bit to do with Drum Corps style shows vs. Big Ten Picture shows.  I was extremely frustrated with my high school marching band marching to a picture, playing a song; march to another picture, play another song.  That is what got me into drum corps in the first place back in the 70s.  The fact that it was all brass and percussion musically, made it all that more unique and attractive to me.

Now we are looking at the serious consideration of marching woodwinds in drum corps.  Like so many of you, this is dangerously close to a bridge too far for me.  Many of you know that I have hosted corps for years during the season.  I fear that there are many others like me, seriously considering a departure from the activity.  I can go see a marching band at any local high school or college.  Drum Corps is unique and many travel hundreds of miles just to see a single drum corps show.  I seriously doubt they will travel the same just to go see another marching band show.

:soapbox:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

So, if this passes ,can we anticipate an oboe or bassoon soloist ?

Does anyone know if a "kazoo" is considered a musical instrument ?

I for one can't wait to hear the harmonica when a corps plays "Thunder Road".