2020 Rules Proposals

6 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

So, if this passes ,can we anticipate an oboe or bassoon soloist ?

Does anyone know if a "kazoo" is considered a musical instrument ?

I for one can't wait to hear the harmonica when a corps plays "Thunder Road".

Kazoos were used by Guardsmen BITD, harmonica was used by BD (Yowza!) and The Cavaliers previously. Oboe and bassoon by BOA, UIL, and USBAnds.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

So, if this passes ,can we anticipate an oboe or bassoon soloist ?

Does anyone know if a "kazoo" is considered a musical instrument ?

I for one can't wait to hear the harmonica when a corps plays "Thunder Road".

We can have oboe and bassoon solos now on the sideline, right? So that part hasn't really changed as it would have to be miked.

If Yamaha sells it, it's an instrument. Is a kazoo much of a stretch from playing a brake drum?

• Like 1

Just now, cybersnyder said:

We can have oboe and bassoon solos now on the sideline, right? So that part hasn't really changed as it would have to be miked.

If Yamaha sells it, it's an instrument. Is a kazoo much of a stretch from playing a brake drum?

good point. But keeping elbows locked and uniform as the kazoo section jazz runs back stepping to far sideline while trilling a triple tongue mellophone-like sustain will take some getting used to, ha, ha.

6 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Lol flashbacks to Steel City Ambassadors. And trying to remember the non-finalist DCA with the beer kegs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Call their bluff.  Say see ya. 

“Gee maybe it’s time for a change...” or “corps survival is more important than any individual” then “bye”

Wow my first year I was 16/17 and rode with two BoD members of a corps just trying to get back on the field. Heard enough horror stories of getting loans to buy equipment let alone prima dona salaries

That reminds me.  The any-instrument proposal says that regarding judging, woodwinds would be "treated in the same manner as other non-traditional instruments".  Can anyone explain what that means?  How are other non-traditional instruments treated in the DCI judging system?

17 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You don’t know that. 

Perhaps as an effect there is a WW only moment where there are more WW than brass but really, its just a moment, the exception..

Where there is a size limit in place, 1 Brass player is more effective than 1 WW player without any mics.

Coming from a small Band program, for GE purposes there simply is no substitute for a wall of sound. The Brass will consistently be the only vehicle for the Wall of Sound that gets credit on the judging sheets.

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I think that all instrument will pass. Maybe a good idea since it’s a very fundamental change to the voicing of the ensemble is to allow OC to field woodwinds. It gives them a greater pool to recruit from and WW as part of drum corps will need to prove itself. 

there's thousands of kids not marching now after cut because for whatever reason, OC is not pulling them in. that's something that should be addressed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, MikeN said:

https://www.dci.org/news/2020-dci-rules-congress-proposals-at-a-glance

The short list - click above for the details.

Brass Amplification Limitations
Proposed by: Michael Martin, The Cavaliers

----------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation Structure Innovation
Proposed by: Chris Komnick, Nick Monzi, Jason Robb, Madison Scouts

Color Guard Sheet Enhancement
Proposed by: Denise Bonfiglio, The Cadets

Any Instrument Policy
Proposed by: Kathy Black, DCI Board of Directors

Allow for Live Sampling Created in Real Time
Proposed by: Matt Jordan, Jon Vanderkolff, Bluecoats

Rules and Systems Task Force Voted On by the Membership
Proposed by: Lindsey Vento, The Academy

Scoring System Update
Proposed by: Marie Czapinski, DCI Adjudicator

Sound Reinforcement Limits
Proposed by: Steve Vento, The Academy

I don't know how it's all going to come out in the end... but I do know that 1 request essentially for the inclusion of woodwinds by an administrative figure (and relative outsider) and 2 requests for sound reinforcement limitations by insiders are not terribly compatible concepts.  I also know that the request for woodwinds as an inclusive measure has a major flaw in logic that everybody can see and many have pointed out.

So... there's that.

I'm also extremely curious about what kind of voodoo the Bluecoats are after with that one... I think I'd like to hear that (but then again, there are 2 calls for limitations on the most basic premise of electronics on the field).