2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

We can have oboe and bassoon solos now on the sideline, right? So that part hasn't really changed as it would have to be miked.

If Yamaha sells it, it's an instrument. Is a kazoo much of a stretch from playing a brake drum?

That proposal is not about sideline solos.  It is about integrating whole sections because the premise of the (bad) logic is 'inclusion'.  But the proposal does not address overall corps size... so (in my opinion) it is merely just a bunch of... ummm... I'll call it... "woodwind wokeness" talk.

Adding 1 sideline bassoonist is not inclusion as it is described in the proposal.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

That proposal is not about sideline solos.  It is about integrating whole sections because the premise of the (bad) logic is 'inclusion'.  But the proposal does not address overall corps size... so (in my opinion) it is merely just a bunch of... ummm... I'll call it... "woodwind wokeness" talk.

Adding 1 sideline bassoonist is not inclusion as it is described in the proposal.

I feel much better after your posts. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't know how it's all going to come out in the end... but I do know that 1 request essentially for the inclusion of woodwinds by an administrative figure (and relative outsider) and 2 requests for sound reinforcement limitations by insiders are not terribly compatible concepts.  I also know that the request for woodwinds as an inclusive measure has a major flaw in logic that everybody can see and many have pointed out.

So... there's that.

I'm also extremely curious about what kind of voodoo the Bluecoats are after with that one... I think I'd like to hear that (but then again, there are 2 calls for limitations on the most basic premise of electronics on the field).

I think you would get a kick out of reading the longform proposal submissions. The live sampling proposal actually goes into the Bluecoats' reasoning, which essentially boils down to "this effect is already achieved through rule-compliant, roundabout means anyways" and "it makes more sense for the education of our membership to do it the real way instead. It doesn't seem like they particularly have a new use in mind, just that they want to do the same things they and other corps have been doing, but without all the extra effort of having to program a synth board in a way that's completely counter to how professional performers would in real life.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Sorry, I thought sideline woodwinds were currently legal. I guess it’s just electric instruments. 

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

If Yamaha sells it, it's an instrument.

and there you have it

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol flashbacks to Steel City Ambassadors. And trying to remember the non-finalist DCA with the beer kegs...

bucs were finalists. in fact they were 2nd when they used the kegs and won drums

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

That reminds me.  The any-instrument proposal says that regarding judging, woodwinds would be "treated in the same manner as other non-traditional instruments".  Can anyone explain what that means?  How are other non-traditional instruments treated in the DCI judging system?

ignored when too loud

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

bucs were finalists. in fact they were 2nd when they used the kegs and won drums

Forgot or missed that show. IIRC one I kind of remember was 1980 Prelims at Hershey my first year out. Weird I can remember the view from top of the stands but not the corps. Thin it was a corps that only lasted a year or so.