2020 Rules Proposals

15 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Sorry, I thought sideline woodwinds were currently legal. I guess it’s just electric instruments. 

My comment was more to the ongoing assumption that this is about adding sideline woodwinds... it isn't  This is about converting the activity to marching band (as per the premise of the change as it has been given).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lance said:

lol, i used to try to tell people the difference between marching bands and drum corps talking about instrumentation, non-school affiliation, etc. 

i stopped pretty quickly, though, because they would just look at me like i was an idiot...you know, the raised eyebrow with "so marching band" on the tips of their tongues. 

And to me this is the line that Kept people who march Drum Corps to think that they where cool. Because on a technicality they could call it Drum Corps, when for 99% of the public perception you spent your entire summer in a Marching Band, A Very loud and regimented marching band, but still at its core... A Marching Band.

I think this is the reason why so many have a negative reaction to WW's, because they wont be able to say that the spend all their money on a Drum corps, but will now have to accurately say Marching Band..

I've learned to not put so much into what people think.. If it makes me happy and fulfills a creative and expressive need then that's what I like... The stigma associated with Marching Band has no bearing on me because its given me so much fulfillment in my life. 

I actually prefer to call it what it actually is, Outdoor Performance Ensembles.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If DCI goes all instrument, then it's going to sound different. That's certain. I did notice the proposal to disallow miking full ensembles and only allowing small ensembles / soloists to be miked. I wonder if that's an effort to stave off woodwinds? Corps with woodwinds will have less sound than those with none or few woodwinds. You can't use the PA to make up for fewer brass. So, I hope that rule passes. Then on further thought, maybe that would hasten adding ~50 members to the corps size. Personally, I think the field is getting cluttered already, add 50 members and we have college band. 

I think it's pretty clear the direction the activity is heading. Cirque du Soleil on the field. I wonder what year will be the first when a corps does zero marching - all dance or dance movements? I'm not hating on BD, but it will probably be them, they'll win and then everyone will do it the next year.

This is what I want, and I think its what the staff's on the top group aspire to be.

The fact that we are constricted to a Football field and its dimensions and specifications is something that I think in the a couple of Decades will be a mute point. Blast was the starting point. It can be so much more.

46 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

I'm so excited to see who uses the first motorcycle on the field!

(obviously kidding in good fun)

That's what the live sampling requests are about.  Hey!... maybe the Bluecoats have a 'freind' in this AI request.  I mean c'mon... live sampling a real and present snow mobile... I'd pay to see and hear that... once.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That reminds me.  The any-instrument proposal says that regarding judging, woodwinds would be "treated in the same manner as other non-traditional instruments".  Can anyone explain what that means?  How are other non-traditional instruments treated in the DCI judging system?

I don't know for sure but, take BD's Electric Violin this past year. I think any sound coming from that instrument was treated the same as voice-overs or sound effects.. Judged for its impact to General Effect but not on how its performed how a trumpet solo would be judged by a Brass Judge..

The thinking perhaps being that the Brass judge would not have the expertise to judge the quality of playing of a Violin. The same could be said that a Brass judge wouldn't have the expertise to judge a Woodwind instrument.. Although most Brass Judges are Band Directors of some kind and would have the ability to discern its quality

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's thousands of kids not marching now after cut because for whatever reason, OC is not pulling them in. that's something that should be addressed

On that, Wouldn't you think the OC corps are all going to be in favor of Allowing WW's into their ranks? For them adding WW's will be net Gains to their ranks and numbers.. 

Generally most OC corps are more local in its operation and touring model, they will really be able to visit any and all HS band within a reasonable range of the camps and try to get everyone to come to a camp.

It'd be interesting to see if the Voting numbers are released. and if the OC corps will realize this could help them achieve sustainability. 

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes because there has been such a need and grass roots outcry to fundamentally change the voicing of the ensemble so that those who lived it and loved it for the brass sound can finally take their money elsewhere. 

DCI - evolving ourselves into just another band circuit. 

Drum corps circuits are and always have been band circuits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Year Fiver said:

I'm so excited to see who uses the first motorcycle on the field!

(obviously kidding in good fun)

Garfield Cadets used a motorcycle ramp on the field in 2014. I wonder why they chickened out on using the motorcycles.

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't know how it's all going to come out in the end... but I do know that 1 request essentially for the inclusion of woodwinds by an administrative figure (and relative outsider) and 2 requests for sound reinforcement limitations by insiders are not terribly compatible concepts.  I also know that the request for woodwinds as an inclusive measure has a major flaw in logic that everybody can see and many have pointed out.

So... there's that.

I'm also extremely curious about what kind of voodoo the Bluecoats are after with that one... I think I'd like to hear that (but then again, there are 2 calls for limitations on the most basic premise of electronics on the field).

Watch Bluecoats Indoor from 2019. They had three open Mics with one Musician playing trombone and other percussive instruments and he played the soundtrack to Blueocats Indoor show. You can very easily set 4 beat loops that could have a time keeping component that set the beat.. 

It's very much a big part of the Live music scene now and its application in DCI would lead to some very creative uses.

You could in theory Record the Corps playing one Chord Record it and loop it. Then the Live corps can switch to another Chord that lays on top of it and they can record that. Play both Chords with the hornline not playing a single note live.

To me as a designer, I want that because you can create some very new moments that have not been seen in DCI.