2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

Sorry, I thought sideline woodwinds were currently legal. I guess it’s just electric instruments. 

You can feature a string instrument( a la Cadets and BD), but not a WW instrument. Show how silly THAT exclusion really is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

all instruments should be legal.

it's stupid that corps are allowed to synthesize any instrument in the world but that we can't have that actual instrument because TRADITION.

Especially those who are "acoustic" Purist. Wouldn't you like to have a live performance of that String sustain rather than a Synth playing a patch to achieve that sound. 

AI will reduce the need for as many "Sound Effects" and lead to more components of the live performance to be performed by an actual member in real time.

35 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

This is what I want, and I think its what the staff's on the top group aspire to be.

The fact that we are constricted to a Football field and its dimensions and specifications is something that I think in the a couple of Decades will be a mute point. Blast was the starting point. It can be so much more.

Blast,the original,had a lot of traditional drill and was,as I recall,all brass.

Blast,the second, went in another direction,with woodwinds,including on trampolines,

very limited percussion ,and some very artsy "shower curtains" .

It bombed at the box office.

As far as a previous poster's Crique on a football field comment.

Gonna be hard to set up a trapeze and high wire on a football field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps circuits are and always have been band circuits. 

Your mantra for sure. Still wrong. But you keep repeating it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

On that, Wouldn't you think the OC corps are all going to be in favor of Allowing WW's into their ranks? For them adding WW's will be net Gains to their ranks and numbers.. 

Generally most OC corps are more local in its operation and touring model, they will really be able to visit any and all HS band within a reasonable range of the camps and try to get everyone to come to a camp.

It'd be interesting to see if the Voting numbers are released. and if the OC corps will realize this could help them achieve sustainability. 

looking at their budgets, they're fools if they are. they don't get the big manufacturer deals

19 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

all instruments should be legal.

it's stupid that corps are allowed to synthesize any instrument in the world but that we can't have that actual instrument because TRADITION.

I guess, since they lack the courage to go start their own thing, like Blast did.

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I guess, since they lack the courage to go start their own thing, like Blast did.

Blast with woodwinds bombed too

53 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

This is what I want, and I think its what the staff's on the top group aspire to be.

The fact that we are constricted to a Football field and its dimensions and specifications is something that I think in the a couple of Decades will be a mute point. Blast was the starting point. It can be so much more.

So it would no longer be a non-profit youth activity but a for-profit like Cirque de Soleil?  Is that the end game?   Weren’t Blast performers paid and they were required to join a union?  I don’t know this but I’m guessing that the producers of Blast turned a profit. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1