2020 Rules Proposals

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

looking at their budgets, they're fools if they are. they don't get the big manufacturer deals

Now I know the norm is for the Corps to provide instruments, What would stop that kid from marching his own horn for the summer?

16 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Blast,the original,had a lot of traditional drill and was,as I recall,all brass.

Blast,the second, went in another direction,with woodwinds,including on trampolines,

very limited percussion ,and some very artsy "shower curtains" .

It bombed at the box office.

As far as a previous poster's Crique on a football field comment.

Gonna be hard to set up a trapeze and high wire on a football field.

When I say Cirque I mean the Theatrics, The mix of entertainment elements, the Lighting, the Quality.

And Blast continues to thrive in Japan, Many of my friends have been and continue to tour with them during the summers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Especially those who are "acoustic" Purist. Wouldn't you like to have a live performance of that String sustain rather than a Synth playing a patch to achieve that sound. 

Neither. You left out choice C, which is neither acoustic strings (more accurately, artificially amplified) nor synth.

More available tonal colors for arrangers does not automatically enhance the experience for the viewer.

Not speaking for anyone else, but I am perfectly content experiencing drum corps limited to sonorities of brass and percussion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Now I know the norm is for the Corps to provide instruments, What would stop that kid from marching his own horn for the summer?

It's not necessarily that students can't use their own instruments, it's that it's not in the interest of corps to allow it. I've seen people use their own horns in DCA and Soundsport, but a line made up of the same make and model produces better ensemble look/sound and is also better for cohesive teaching. But for students, I would imagine an issue might be the fact that if they bring their own instrument, it wouldn't be insured by the corps, and thus any damages incurred would negatively impact the quality of that person's personally owned horn.

51 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

On that, Wouldn't you think the OC corps are all going to be in favor of Allowing WW's into their ranks? For them adding WW's will be net Gains to their ranks and numbers.. 

Generally most OC corps are more local in its operation and touring model, they will really be able to visit any and all HS band within a reasonable range of the camps and try to get everyone to come to a camp.

It'd be interesting to see if the Voting numbers are released. and if the OC corps will realize this could help them achieve sustainability. 

When you say OC is "more local"... that's not really the case anymore for many of these groups.  They aren't exactly mom-and-pop groups, you know?  Guardians hit 18 states last tour, and there's not enough minutes in the galaxy for them to hit all of the HS's near their camps in TX (especially because I can count on one hand how many staff and admins were local to them).

(plus, OC gets only minimal say in the instructional caucus, and it looks like there's a proposal this year to take even that away from them.  They get zero input at DCI BOD level, not being allowed to be member corps.)

Mike

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

So it would no longer be a non-profit youth activity but a for-profit like Cirque de Soleil?  Is that the end game?   Weren’t Blast performers paid and they were required to join a union?  I don’t know this but I’m guessing that the producers of Blast turned a profit. 

I think the Youth activity aspect will remain for a time, But as the quality continues to increase, the fan base could increase. To the point that they are making enough from tickets sales and the Touring model adjusted that they could start to make money.. 

The highest cost that DCI has are the renting of the State of the art football stadiums. What if they don't use Football stadiums but create their own traveling arenas to perform in and only having to rent an open space for parking and the performance area. Similar to the Traveling Cirque tents that travel around the country. What if the Performance Pit instrument are shared between the corps reducing the need for Trucks to move the pit equipment.

I think as this becomes bigger and bigger, smarter people will become involved and start to ask the question, what is stopping us from turning a profit? And work to try and remove those barriers.

And Cirque is, at its core, an elevated Circus. Its very famous and popular and always sells out wherever they go. How Many Circus enthusiast do you know? Its not about what they do, But how it makes you feel when you are in the stands. Entertained.

That's why to me the next thing on the horizon is a Dramatic element to shows, Actual actors, performers trained to entertained. The Cadets skirted around this idea with their shows in the 80's and early 90's 

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

I think the Youth activity aspect will remain for a time, But as the quality continues to increase, the fan base could increase. To the point that they are making enough from tickets sales and the Touring model adjusted that they could start to make money.. 

The highest cost that DCI has are the renting of the State of the art football stadiums. What if they don't use Football stadiums but create their own traveling arenas to perform in and only having to rent an open space for parking and the performance area. Similar to the Traveling Cirque tents that travel around the country. What if the Performance Pit instrument are shared between the corps reducing the need for Trucks to move the pit equipment.

I think as this becomes bigger and bigger, smarter people will become involved and start to ask the question, what is stopping us from turning a profit? And work to try and remove those barriers.

And Cirque is, at its core, an elevated Circus. Its very famous and popular and always sells out wherever they go. How Many Circus enthusiast do you know? Its not about what they do, But how it makes you feel when you are in the stands. Entertained.

That's why to me the next thing on the horizon is a Dramatic element to shows, Actual actors, performers trained to entertained. The Cadets skirted around this idea with their shows in the 80's and early 90's 

I’ve been to Cirque de Soleil shows in Las Vegas and Chicago.   I enjoy them.   

14 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

It's not necessarily that students can't use their own instruments, it's that it's not in the interest of corps to allow it. I've seen people use their own horns in DCA and Soundsport, but a line made up of the same make and model produces better ensemble look/sound and is also better for cohesive teaching. But for students, I would imagine an issue might be the fact that if they bring their own instrument, it wouldn't be insured by the corps, and thus any damages incurred would negatively impact the quality of that person's personally owned horn.

At that point in their life (An OC Age participant) , they didn't pay for that horn, their parents did. I would want to march even if it meant insuring that I took care of the horn as it where my own.

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been to Cirque de Soleil shows in Las Vegas and Chicago.   I enjoy them.   

And you're not I would imagine a Circus enthusiast. Like myself. We just enjoy entertainment. Whether that Trapeze artist is using the correct technique or not, it doesnt affect my entertainment. We paid the money to be entertained and they used whatever tool available to them to achieve that.

I think the smartest of people within DCI want to inch their way towards this model. 

Where the DCI fan is not just a Marching band Mom, an alumnus of a Corps, or a HS Band kid taking a break from Band Camp, but just a person that enjoys quality entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Where the DCI fan is not just a Marching band Mom, an alumnus of a Corps, or a HS Band kid taking a break from Band Camp, but just a person that enjoys quality entertainment.

If they just want to entertain, then they should open up their BoD meetings to the public.  Especially this week.

• Haha 1