2020 Rules Proposals

11 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Among the more cogent arguments I've heard so far:

If this passes, the next necessary step is to increase the size of the units -- say, a 200-member limit. So what happens then is that 4 or 5 of the top corps bring on 20 or so exceptional WWs, park them on an island with the necessary microphones, then load up on an extra 30 brass just because Hey Let's Own Music GE and MA.

That's +/- 150 brass players that never will audition at any of the lower-ranking corps.

Result: Greater concentration at the top. Lesser talent at the bottom. Greater stress on the overall activity.

It's G7 under a different, less honest, guise.

Which, your logic would dictate, would make the 200 member limit the more important of the two issues.

I keep trying to imagine Crown with woodwinds...  :blink:

Perhaps the pitchfork-carriers are rushing toward the wrong fire.

19 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Like vacation destinations, restaurants, special sports and entertainment events, people desire to experience what is NOT regularly available during their daily lives. They make additional efforts to consume through their direct attendance and purchases of related products, like audio and video.

Re-making Drum Corps International into any other “marching band” collective, no matter how superior in quality, will lessen appeal. Yes, we do know, it is a marching band.  But, THIS marching band brings something we don’t normally get to see everywhere we look. Hmmm.

Tread carefully, DCI Directors. You have something special. Please keep it that way.

Nosce te ipsum, DCI. Non merda dove mangi.

Has been in my signature line since 2010.

Back to work to support my obscene drum corps habit (among others).

Edited by garfield

40 minutes ago, garfield said:

Nosce te ipsum, DCI. Non merda dove mangi.

I agree with the first part. Know who you are. I fear the directors have lost that by being caught up in the arms race they themselves created. Maybe they don’t know how to get the genie back into the bottle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

It has been attempted through the decades via national championships at VFW and American Legion, as well as tours by Summer Bands International and MACBDA.  We have even seen several top-25 DCI corps convert to bands and participate in those tours.

(I was not even thinking about MBA "Summer Nationals", since it was for scholastic bands.  Besides, early June is not really summer anyway.)

Thanks for the insight!  I was only thinking of scholastic groups.  Been around the activity for a long time, but I had no idea of those circuits.  Obviously I knew of the activity association with VFW and American Legion, but I didn’t know there were non-scholastic bands involved there as well.

Thanks again for covering me on the “learn something new every day” quota for today :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Thanks for the insight!  I was only thinking of scholastic groups.  Been around the activity for a long time, but I had no idea of those circuits.  Obviously I knew of the activity association with VFW and American Legion, but I didn’t know there were non-scholastic bands involved there as well.

Thanks again for covering me on the “learn something new every day” quota for today 🙂

History scores have bands competing in the 1920s at Nationals. Also have ca 1930 ad for an instrument maker with a pic of a AL band from my town. Ad was in American Legion magazine (hmm time to dig that out of the cellar as have it framed)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

DCI  was forced to jump the shark when the evolution of electronics brought any voice imaginable to the field of competition. So why not invite the real musicians instead of piped in synthetic sounds?  

An aside:  Whenever I read one of these kind of comments or a corollary "We should then ban synth sounds for such things" type comment my brain goes...

Ok then, if SCV wants to redo Force of Nature in a few years they better start training woodland birds to chirp on cue from the sideline for the opening.  Or would bird calls count as instrumentation?   Would the birds count as marching members?   So many questions.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Which, your logic would dictate, would make the 200 member limit the more important of the two issues.

I keep trying to imagine Crown with woodwinds...  :blink:

Perhaps the pitchfork-carriers are rushing toward the wrong fire.

can't have one without the other, or in Hop speak, try, try, try again

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Can absolutely have 208 MM limit without WW.

oh no. either one is going to be a justification for the other. 

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Can absolutely have 208 MM limit without WW.

New thought: Gas prices.   Wasn't the spike in gas prices a big issue for some corps a few years back?  Adding another bus and perhaps truck space to the caravans...

Edited by KVG_DC