2020 Rules Proposals

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, they were metal back then.  We used one in 78 in The Poet and the Peasant. 

Have no idea what we used it for. Just can’t remember it and never found audio for our 1974 competitive show (of course we only did 2 competitions that year). Have vid of the exhibition we did that year (thank you Jim Jones) and ??

And DCA didn’t count live birds on the field in 1980. 😈🙀

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I just wanna know if the live birds count against the marching member cap or not. 

Not against the cap, but can be used for the 55 member minimum.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have no idea what we used it for. Just can’t remember it and never found audio for our 1974 competitive show (of course we only did 2 competitions that year). Have vid of the exhibition we did that year (thank you Jim Jones) and ??

And DCA didn’t count live birds on the field in 1980. 😈🙀

Didn’t SkyRyders release live doves one year? Or am I losing my mind? 

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Didn’t SkyRyders release live doves one year? Or am I losing my mind? 

Not sure... 

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure... 

However, I do know a corps that released live pigeons... :whistle: :laughing:

• Haha 2

I don't track the argument that the AI proposal is a DCI salvo in a war for survival with marching bands. This notion, that there's not enough room in this here town for the both of us, sheriff, seems without foundation.

I mean, Inspire Arts and Music (Boston Crusaders) first purchased and now owns, runs and makes money off an annual high-school band festival. They own a music store. It sells flutes and everything.

Ascend Performing Arts (Blue Knights) runs a competition for smaller HS bands in Colorado, to give them an opportunity to compete. Also a money-maker. Troopers sponsors a HS band day. Corps across the country put up recruiting booths at HS band competitions: the bands get sponsorship money for their events, and the corps get potential recruits. How is this a fight to the death?

What exactly is the supposed market logic that has, purportedly, already determined that only one should survive? Where is the evidence that, if clarinet players can't get access to a summer marching opportunity, marching bands will, like the Dead Men of Dunharrow rushing Sauron's orc army, drive DCI out of existence? Or that they would even want to? What plans for empire do locally administered, scholastically founded marching bands have, anyway?

Where do we get this idea that DCI has concluded it is vulnerable to some kind of marching-band takeover if it doesn't adopt AI? DCI has no reason to exist without thousands of young people wanting to participate in a very particular idiom of artistic performance. It's no skin off DCI's nose if its member corps decide to fold because there aren't any kids interested in striving for world-class brass, percussion and guard performance. DCI doesn't exist to be a market alternative for fans of the marching arts. Its primary customer, the axle around which the entire wheel turns, is the tuition-paying member, not the ticket-buying public.

Marching band and drum corps are variations. Different things can exist, even thrive, at the same time. The existence of string summer camps is not threatened by the fact that trombone players can't join.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Where is the evidence that, if clarinet players can't get access to a summer marching opportunity, marching bands will, like the Dead Mean of Dunharrow rushing Sauron's orc army, drive DCI out of existence?

"Dead Mean" is a funny typo.

(FYI, in the books, the Dead apparently can't physically hurt anyone. Rather, their mere presence terrifies the enemy (men not orcs) into running away.)

I don't track the argument that the AI proposal is a DCI salvo in a war for survival with marching bands. This notion, that there's not enough room in this here town for the both of us, sheriff, seems without foundation. [...]

What exactly is the supposed market logic that has, purportedly, already determined that only one should survive? Where is the evidence that, if clarinet players can't get access to a summer marching opportunity, marching bands will [...] drive DCI out of existence? Or that they would even want to? What plans for empire do locally administered, scholastically founded marching bands have, anyway?

Where do we get this idea that DCI has concluded it is vulnerable to some kind of marching-band takeover if it doesn't adopt AI?

As someone here said, what can asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

That is to say: I too would like to see the data that supports this proposal.

I don't track the argument that the AI proposal is a DCI salvo in a war for survival with marching bands. This notion, that there's not enough room in this here town for the both of us, sheriff, seems without foundation.

I mean, Inspire Arts and Music (Boston Crusaders) first purchased and now owns, runs and makes money off an annual high-school band festival. They own a music store. It sells flutes and everything.

Ascend Performing Arts (Blue Knights) runs a competition for smaller HS bands in Colorado, to give them an opportunity to compete. Also a money-maker. Troopers sponsors a HS band day. Corps across the country put up recruiting booths at HS band competitions: the bands get sponsorship money for their events, and the corps get potential recruits. How is this a fight to the death?

What exactly is the supposed market logic that has, purportedly, already determined that only one should survive? Where is the evidence that, if clarinet players can't get access to a summer marching opportunity, marching bands will, like the Dead Mean of Dunharrow rushing Sauron's orc army, drive DCI out of existence? Or that they would even want to? What plans for empire do locally administered, scholastically founded marching bands have, anyway?

Where do we get this idea that DCI has concluded it is vulnerable to some kind of marching-band takeover if it doesn't adopt AI? DCI has no reason to exist without thousands of young people wanting to participate in a very particular idiom of artistic performance. It's no skin off DCI's nose if its member corps decide to fold because there aren't any kids interested in striving for world-class brass, percussion and guard performance. DCI doesn't exist to be a market alternative for fans of the marching arts. Its primary customer, the axle around which the entire wheel turns, is the tuition-paying member, not the ticket-buying public.

Marching band and drum corps are variations. Different things can exist, even thrive, at the same time. The existence of string summer camps is not threatened by the fact that trombone players can't join.

the logic is the money they think hey can get while ignoring expenses

• Like 2