2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.  But after...

• woodwinds will increase DCI revenue
  • to be more creative, we must become exactly like marching band
  • if the form has no signature, that proves everyone supports the proposal
  • all the positive impacts hinge on corps adding WWs, but the negatives are all dismissed because corps might not add WWs

... I am getting numb to irony.

1. Corps tuition and prices will go up even if revenue increases, so more money to DCI and bigger bills for actual marchers.

2. More options /= more creative. You’re forced to be more creative when you have limits. Ask any artist or composer. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

My final plea to DCI voting members . . . .

Continue to allow any instruments to participate.  But, ONLY AS PIT enhancements. Instrumentalists using devices not considered Brass or Percussion shall remain stationary and restricted to positions outside the sidelines.

Continue your efforts to make DCI more affordable as the means to achieve greater ‘inclusion.’  Cut present expenses to create more revenue.

Thank you.

You nailed it sir! I have no problem with DCI allowing all instruments...as long as they are not marching in the drill with brass, percussion, and guard. That is a common sense solution to this issue!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

You forgot one of the best sellers - "we won't need as many keyboard instruments in the pit, because you'll be able to hear the players without having to double or triple up on all the parts."

Yes, that really was one of the justifications. Now I don't actually mind mic'ing and electronics, if they're done tastefully and artistically like Bluecoats 2015, so that's not Dino speak, just awareness of how when a DCI creative type wants something, they're as desperate as an 8 year old who REALLY wants something, and they'll promise you to be good. 

Haha. Yes. And they will be able to use proper concert hall technique and not be forced to bang away to be heard. As if the poor kids are too dumb to be able to adjust their style to the situation. 

36 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Continue to allow any instruments to participate.  But, ONLY AS PIT enhancements.

That is how amplification began.  Now, we have clip-on mics on half the marchers, and amp-the-whole-corps mic arrays aimed at much of the field space.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Continue to allow any instruments to participate.  But, ONLY AS PIT enhancements. Instrumentalists using devices not considered Brass or Percussion shall remain stationary and restricted to positions outside the sidelines

But that isn’t one of the proposals, so how can that happen?

Edited by HockeyDad

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is how amplification began.  Now, we have clip-on mics on half the marchers, and amp-the-whole-corps mic arrays aimed at much of the field space.

But don’t you see, the designers need that to enhance their use of the whole palette and texture. And sonority 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

Would that have been the Columbia Mall? I only ask b/c my daughter is currently living in Ellicott City while doing a PT residency at Johns Hopkins...

It was White Marsh Mall.

There very well may have been something going on at Columbia, too. Lots of purple, all over the area.  LOL.

Ellicott City is a terrific town!!!

33 minutes ago, dans said:

You nailed it sir! I have no problem with DCI allowing all instruments...as long as they are not marching in the drill with brass, percussion, and guard. That is a common sense solution to this issue!

I know I’m characterized as a crusty old fossil but in my defense, I loved the use of the violinist in BD’s show last season.  It was perfect. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

You forgot one of the best sellers - "we won't need as many keyboard instruments in the pit, because you'll be able to hear the players without having to double or triple up on all the parts."

I could have gone back to 1999, when the any-key brass "option" went through.  Or 1976, and the permanent opposition to adding a third valve. 

But we have so much irony in just the past week.

• Like 1