2020 Rules Proposals

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is how amplification began.  Now, we have clip-on mics on half the marchers, and amp-the-whole-corps mic arrays aimed at much of the field space.

The fine art of incrementalism. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

It was White Marsh Mall.

There very well may have been something going on at Columbia, too. Lots of purple, all over the area.  LOL.

Ellicott City is a terrific town!!!

Small world; her current clinic location is right near there (I believe it's over on the IKEA side...)

She is NOT a fan of Baltimore traffic and freeway design...especially the nonsensical merges...🤣

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is how amplification began.  Now, we have clip-on mics on half the marchers, and amp-the-whole-corps mic arrays aimed at much of the field space.

1972 - 1983

• unadulterated, stentorian  brass sound through the timbre and strength of brass instruments
  • majestic, passionate, accessible music
  • arrangements amplify the compositions
  • soloists puncture through entire stadium

1984- 1994

• glockenspiel clutter emerges on the field
  • some corps start to exit from complete and full phrase ear-friendly tunes  
  • brass lines can still peel paint

1995 - 2000

• advent of dissonant arrangements
  • decline of formidable soloists
  • more pageantry, less musical entertainment
  • more front ensemble clutter
  • complicated and high velocity drill handicaps brass proficiency and arrangers cede more melody to the ever growing and ever expanding front ensemble cutter 

2001- 2019

• informal name of activity is drum corps (sans bugles) search for new name begins
  • trend toward abstruse show concepts
  • Prop clutter appears - the good, the bad, the ugly and the useless
  • show theming costumes become more bizarre, corps start to lose identity
  • fluttering, ring-around-the-rosie, and distortional body posing replaces visual drill writing and marching
  • snippets of sound sublimate melodic passages
  • less discrete projection due to over amplification and larger speaker arrays
  • full corps ensemble indoors just sounds like a lot of produced electronic noise 
  • microphones, buttons and amplification replace both soloists and brass lines to produce power
  • front ensemble is used for the majority of melody  

2020 - moratorium

• euthanize the activity

Postmortem evaluation:

• A wise man presaged the fall of drum and bugle corps 4 decades ago: He said:
     "The activity is going to change when the rules change to allow woodwinds"
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Small world; her current clinic location is right near there (I believe it's over on the IKEA side...)

She is NOT a fan of Baltimore traffic and freeway design...especially the nonsensical merges...🤣

Yep.... several of them are "merges" in name only. :tongue:

And DC is even worse.  LOL

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The proposal should be voted down on a number of reasons, and one of them will be that it would quickly create even more competitive imbalance, which is the opposite of what rules changes should do.

creative imbalance is the least of their concerns

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

You forgot one of the best sellers - "we won't need as many keyboard instruments in the pit, because you'll be able to hear the players without having to double or triple up on all the parts."

Yes, that really was one of the justifications. Now I don't actually mind mic'ing and electronics, if they're done tastefully and artistically like Bluecoats 2015, so that's not Dino speak, just awareness of how when a DCI creative type wants something, they're as desperate as an 8 year old who REALLY wants something, and they'll promise you to be good. 

and Bloo...who sold anti amplification shirts, have generally had smaller front ensembles the last several years

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and Bloo...who sold anti amplification shirts, have generally had smaller front ensembles the last several years

They had 15 pit in 2019, more than ever before in their corps history.  How is that smaller?  Were they not as tall as usual?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

You forgot one of the best sellers - "we won't need as many keyboard instruments in the pit, because you'll be able to hear the players without having to double or triple up on all the parts."

Yes, that really was one of the justifications. Now I don't actually mind mic'ing and electronics, if they're done tastefully and artistically like Bluecoats 2015, so that's not Dino speak, just awareness of how when a DCI creative type wants something, they're as desperate as an 8 year old who REALLY wants something, and they'll promise you to be good.

What was the average number of people in pits prior to amplification? Glancing at a couple early 2000 videos suggests 10-12, but I don't know if that was a representative sample.

I have a practical question on Woodwinds (apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere).  I'm not a WW person at all, but was curious about woodwinds' feasibility on a corps tour.  What happens when it drizzles?  I remember in HS marching band, we really couldn't do as much outdoors if it was wet due to potential damage to WW.  I'm sure there are more humidity/drizzle friendly apparati for WW, but is there a concern that inclusion would hurt a corps' ability to rehearse or perform in other-than-dry conditions?

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What was the average number of people in pits prior to amplification? Glancing at a couple early 2000 videos suggests 10-12, but I don't know if that was a representative sample.

Immediately prior to amps, it was 9 or 10.  Now it is 14 or 15.