2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

They had 15 pit in 2019, more than ever before in their corps history.  How is that smaller?  Were they not as tall as usual?

generally. 16-18 were smaller. every word i typed had a purpose

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

generally. 16-18 were smaller. every word i typed had a purpose

• 2001 9
  • 2002 9
  • 2003 10
  • 2004 10
  • 2005 11
  • 2006 11
  • 2007 12
  • 2008 12
  • 2009 12
  • 2010 13
  • 2011 11
  • 2012 12
  • 2013 12
  • 2014 12
  • 2015 12
  • 2016 11
  • 2017 11
  • 2018 12
  • 2019 15

Not what I would call "generally had smaller front ensembles the last several years"... but they also spread them out in pods 2016 and 2017, which to me was more significant than the one less person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I have a practical question on Woodwinds (apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere).  I'm not a WW person at all, but was curious about woodwinds' feasibility on a corps tour.  What happens when it drizzles?  I remember in HS marching band, we really couldn't do as much outdoors if it was wet due to potential damage to WW.  I'm sure there are more humidity/drizzle friendly apparati for WW, but is there a concern that inclusion would hurt a corps' ability to rehearse or perform in other-than-dry conditions?

Nothing within the actual proposal addresses it, but it's pretty clear that marching woodwinds as a section with comparative visual and musical responsibilities to the brass and drumline wouldn't be feasible without at least one of many massive overhauls. Woodwinds as instruments have a lot of inherent flaws which make them impractical for tour-style outdoor use (rehearsing in downpours, getting covered in dirt/chemicals, complete lack of climate control at all times). Even initiatives that others have proposed such as increased member capacity do not address this.

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I have a practical question on Woodwinds (apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere).  I'm not a WW person at all, but was curious about woodwinds' feasibility on a corps tour.  What happens when it drizzles?  I remember in HS marching band, we really couldn't do as much outdoors if it was wet due to potential damage to WW.  I'm sure there are more humidity/drizzle friendly apparati for WW, but is there a concern that inclusion would hurt a corps' ability to rehearse or perform in other-than-dry conditions?

After I read this post,I talked to a friend of mine whose daughter plays saxophone.

He said saxophones have all kinds of problems with weather (humidity,drizzle,you name it).

He said  that,when its raining,some high school bands where he lives, "pull" their woodwinds.

He also said that their sound doesn't "carry".

So,unless you're very close to them ,you can't hear them.

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Woodwinds are definitely MUCH more finicky than brass, but would probably stand up to touring similar to synths and stringed instruments. Most intermediate-level WW would probably survive with care.  The main thing is keeping them dry.  They also go out of adjustment really easy and fixing leaks would be a big challenge for a horn tech all summer long.  I can't see corps using actual wood instruments due to temp and humidity, they'd likely use the higher end plastic ones.  Still very $$$, though- and reeds are really expensive, too.  The thing that you need to consider when talking about employing woodwinds is the need to think of them like an electric guitar- they would all need mic'ing / amplification and pricey audio systems would go hand-in-hand.  More finicky/delicate, expensive stuff to keep dry, etc... I can't for the life of me think how anyone can believe the juice is worth the squeeze as far as all the potential additional expense, but same could be said for electronics, French horns, sousaphones, trombones, giant props, etc etc... yet they are now requisite.  

7 hours ago, Crownie01 said:

2. More options /= more creative. You’re forced to be more creative when you have limits. Ask any artist or composer. 

Creativity comes in an unlimited number of ways. Having unlimited options is one way; having limits is another, with all sorts of other ways in between.

I have had a thought:  What if the woodwinds proposal is a diversion, to get everyone up in arms over, while the real activity-changing rules proposal passes without controversy?  Is there something hidden in one of these other proposals?

PS - I never met a conspiracy-theory I didn't like.  Carpe conspiracy (seize the conspiracy)! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have had a thought:  What if the woodwinds proposal is a diversion, to get everyone up in arms over, while the real activity-changing rules proposal passes without controversy?  Is there something hidden in one of these other proposals?

PS - I never met a conspiracy-theory I didn't like.  Carpe conspiracy (seize the conspiracy)! 

Look over there.  Shiny things.  Or wag the dog. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

1 hour ago, Guitar1974 said:

Woodwinds are definitely MUCH more finicky than brass, but would probably stand up to touring similar to synths and stringed instruments. Most intermediate-level WW would probably survive with care.  The main thing is keeping them dry.  They also go out of adjustment really easy and fixing leaks would be a big challenge for a horn tech all summer long.  I can't see corps using actual wood instruments due to temp and humidity, they'd likely use the higher end plastic ones.  Still very $$$, though- and reeds are really expensive, too.  The thing that you need to consider when talking about employing woodwinds is the need to think of them like an electric guitar- they would all need mic'ing / amplification and pricey audio systems would go hand-in-hand.  More finicky/delicate, expensive stuff to keep dry, etc... I can't for the life of me think how anyone can believe the juice is worth the squeeze as far as all the potential additional expense, but same could be said for electronics, French horns, sousaphones, trombones, giant props, etc etc... yet they are now requisite.  

The difference between woodwinds and pit electronics is that pit electronics don't move. On tour, the pit can be covered by canopies. If woodwinds were to be marching members incorporated into the drill like the proposal heavily implies they should be, what would the procedure for inconvenient weather be? The horn and drum lines continue rehearsing as they normally would up until the point of lightning, no matter how heavy the rain is or how muddy the ground is. Woodwinds can't do that. In marching band, woodwind players are typically told to put their instruments away and continue marching drill when it rains, but losing that kind of horn-holding and play time on tour would be an immense detriment. People only think about the finished product of a show, wherein of course mic'ing is a simple enough solution, but what about tour itself? The fact of the matter is that tour involves water, mud, sunscreen, sweat, and so many other things that woodwinds are not built to stand up against. There's a world of difference between the logistics of putting a woodwind soloist in the pit (where they can be shielded from the elements, practice their own part indoors in climate controlled environments for long periods of time, and where their absence during ensemble wouldn't be terribly missed if need be), versus having an entire woodwind section that marches the entire show as such.