2020 Rules Proposals

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

After I read this post, I talked to a friend of mine whose daughter plays saxophone. He said saxophones have all kinds of problems with weather (humidity, drizzle, you name it).

He said that when its raining, some high school bands where he lives "pull" their woodwinds. He also said that their sound doesn't "carry". So unless you're very close to them, you can't hear them.

I've never had a problem hearing the woodwinds in any decent high school marching band -- say, any group that could score a 70 or better in BOA.

That said, a reason is that the brass generally is playing much softer than in DCI, and also there are numerous feature moments for woodwinds.

Interestingly, there's one band near me (that doesn't compete in BOA) that uses only brass and saxophones but no flutes or clarinets. That band tend to be louder than most others.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have had a thought:  What if the woodwinds proposal is a diversion, to get everyone up in arms over, while the real activity-changing rules proposal passes without controversy?  Is there something hidden in one of these other proposals?

P.S.: I never met a conspiracy-theory I didn't like. Carpe conspiracy (seize the conspiracy)!

There's a running gag at Mythcon, the annual conference of the Mythopoeic Society, in which buried in the schedule is an item called "Sale of college land", inspired by a literary use of just the sort of misdirection you describe.

In other news:  From the latest video posted on DCI's FB page, the FloMarching guys are interviewed and said that this  year they are "more than doubling" the number of shows being live streamed.  Last year they live streamed 19 so that is really exciting news to me.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

In other news:  From the latest video posted on DCI's FB page, the FloMarching guys are interviewed and said that this  year they are "more than doubling" the number of shows being live streamed.  Last year they live streamed 19 so that is really exciting news to me.  

Well, they live streamed maybe 13 shows in 2019 and Rocket Mortgage ads 6.

😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer