2020 Rules Proposals

8 hours ago, Year Fiver said:

Nothing within the actual proposal addresses it, but it's pretty clear that marching woodwinds as a section with comparative visual and musical responsibilities to the brass and drumline wouldn't be feasible without at least one of many massive overhauls. Woodwinds as instruments have a lot of inherent flaws which make them impractical for tour-style outdoor use (rehearsing in downpours, getting covered in dirt/chemicals, complete lack of climate control at all times). Even initiatives that others have proposed such as increased member capacity do not address this.

But revenue.... it’s all Black talked about

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

In other news:  From the latest video posted on DCI's FB page, the FloMarching guys are interviewed and said that this  year they are "more than doubling" the number of shows being live streamed.  Last year they live streamed 19 so that is really exciting news to me.  

Price hike

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I wonder what the price will be? 

For the year or per freeze?

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s really happening.

Good thing I know how to make a proper Old Fashioned.

My take: “ we don’t really know what will happen and #### you dinos”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

She did.  In the Guardsmen.  And her DCI bio also states:

"Upon accepting Morrison’s resignation, the board elected New Mexico lawyer Kathy Black as its new chair. She is an attorney for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, representing the U.S. Forest Service in civil rights matters"

That's all I need to know. 

does the forest service have a lot of civil rights issues?

She had absolutely no way to reconcile her claims that the Task Force was assembled to explore new revenue streams, yet there is nothing in the explanations she has that identify a single dollar of new revenue that could be achieved by changing the "available instrumentation" of the ensembles.  She contradicts herself in saying that they are not proposing to increase the size of the corps.  They really screwed up by trying to hide a "design & instrumentation" rule proposal under the guise of "we need to make more money."  There's zero logic there. 

Anyone care to take a stab at how allowing "all instruments" would contribute to new revenue in any way?

44 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

She had absolutely no way to reconcile her claims that the Task Force was assembled to explore new revenue streams, yet there is nothing in the explanations she has that identify a single dollar of new revenue that could be achieved by changing the "available instrumentation" of the ensembles.  She contradicts herself in saying that they are not proposing to increase the size of the corps.  They really screwed up by trying to hide a "design & instrumentation" rule proposal under the guise of "we need to make more money."  There's zero logic there. 

Anyone care to take a stab at how allowing "all instruments" would contribute to new revenue in any way?

It's "new" revenue for DCI because they're expecting woodwind players who aren't currently interested in the activity to become interested, primarily as audience members. Thus, it's "new" revenue in that there's a new audience, but it's not "revenue" in the sense of being able to ultimately sell more tickets or anything, since it's not like stadiums are getting bigger. It's also not about "more" money, it's about "new" money.

The proposal also focuses only on revenue for DCI, not for the collective sum of individual corps.

Just now, Year Fiver said:

It's "new" revenue for DCI because they're expecting woodwind players who aren't currently interested in the activity to become interested, primarily as audience members. Thus, it's "new" revenue in that there's a new audience, but it's not "revenue" in the sense of being able to ultimately sell more tickets or anything, since it's not like stadiums are getting bigger. It's also not about "more" money, it's about "new" money.

The proposal also focuses only on revenue for DCI, not for the collective sum of individual corps.

Well then she is even more dumb than I imagined.  More woodwind players buying tickets for shows?  No way that results in a net gain in revenue.  For everything 8th grade flute player they attract (which would be almost zero - they are already in the audience) they would lose two old dog drum corps fans.  

13 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

Which is dumb as hell. I know a bunch of woodwind players that marched and a ton more that went to drum corps shows. You don't have to be able to be in a drum corps to enjoy it. I mean ####, 99% of people who see a drum corps show will never march.