2020 Rules Proposals

"...hundreds of thousands of comments..."

"...I think certainly the reaction of people around the world will be discussed and factored in."

"...my name's on it, not theirs."

Here's part of the beauty of having the Chair's name on the proposal: The instructors and directors can discuss and debate among themselves without ANY single one of them having to defend their position.  All the heat falls on the Chair and this revenue committee.  I think it's brilliant.

Long gone are the days when every vote seemed to be another step along a pre-planned "vision" by a single director with ego and gravitas (earned or otherwise).  Interesting that there's not a single director or instructor who the pitch-fork chaser can go after.  The Leader of the activity is Kathy Black and she takes all the heat.

It's called Leadership to sit down and take that interview.  I think the process required it and, by all accounts, she has stood up to it and spoken well of the fans despite the incoming rounds she's taking.

I think those making personal comments about her personally are, at least, way off base and, at worst, callous.  She loves drum corps, too, so shut up.  It's not your gig.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Well then she is even more dumb than I imagined.  More woodwind players buying tickets for shows?  No way that results in a net gain in revenue.  For everything 8th grade flute player they attract (which would be almost zero - they are already in the audience) they would lose two old dog drum corps fans.  

Pardon me, but your anonymous screen name suggests that you are one of the two, "old dog drum corps fans" to whom you're referring.  We don't know each other and I don't really care but, I am curious: How much actual hard cash did you spend on the drum corps activity in 2019 or earlier years?

I know it seems pointed to ask but I hope you see that, as "old dog" fans, what you're spending is what they are losing.  How much was that?  IOW, how much skin do you have in the drum corps game today?

Now offset that with kids who walk around with $150 cell phones and $50/month bills to have them.  Get my drift on how much the typical "old dog" spends on the activity?

I hope you can understand my angst when one comes on here and starts calling the leadership stupid, crazy, or inept.

4 hours ago, Year Fiver said:

It's "new" revenue for DCI because they're expecting woodwind players who aren't currently interested in the activity to become interested, primarily as audience members. Thus, it's "new" revenue in that there's a new audience, but it's not "revenue" in the sense of being able to ultimately sell more tickets or anything, since it's not like stadiums are getting bigger. It's also not about "more" money, it's about "new" money.

The proposal also focuses only on revenue for DCI, not for the collective sum of individual corps.

WTH?

I think your rationale of your first paragraph is flawed.

I think your last sentence is absolutely wacky on several levels.  What is "the collective sum of individual corps" if it's not "DCI"?  This makes me think you don't really understand how the activity is governed.

5 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

does the forest service have a lot of civil rights issues?

Trees fight.  

These days, the white pines - they're the worst.

And judges seem to be favoring the mahoganies.  They obviously have clout in the forest.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Trees fight.  

These days, the white pines - they're the worst.

And judges seem to be favoring the mahoganies.  They obviously have clout in the forest.

are you a paid DCI online bot? I like you made a disparage to yeaH  but this now disconnects Drum & Bugle Corps from us oldies - good luck to competing with Ohio State and Texas A & M

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fecontra said:

are you a paid DCI online bot? I like you made a disparage to yeaH  but this now disconnects Drum & Bugle Corps from us oldies - good luck to competing with Ohio State and Texas A & M

Yes, I am a bot.  Rob.  Rob is my name.  Robbie Robot, your friendly internet bot.  

(For the record, I don't even know what the term "internet robot" means so I can assure you that I'm not one.)

Edit: also, if you'd like to clarity what you said so I can understand, I'd be happy to reply and have a conversation.

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"...hundreds of thousands of comments..."

"...I think certainly the reaction of people around the world will be discussed and factored in."

"...my name's on it, not theirs."

Here's part of the beauty of having the Chair's name on the proposal: The instructors and directors can discuss and debate among themselves without ANY single one of them having to defend their position.  All the heat falls on the Chair and this revenue committee.  I think it's brilliant.

Zero accountability - brilliant!

Long gone are the days when every vote seemed to be another step along a pre-planned "vision" by a single director with ego and gravitas (earned or otherwise). 

Long gone are the days when proposals have any vision.

Interesting that there's not a single director or instructor who the pitch-fork chaser can go after.  The Leader of the activity is Kathy Black and she takes all the heat.

So you admit that this proposal was submitted in non-compliance with DCI rules specifically to shield corps directors from criticism.  Was there not one single corps director willing to put their name behind the idea?

It's called Leadership to sit down and take that interview.  I think the process required it and, by all accounts, she has stood up to it and spoken well of the fans despite the incoming rounds she's taking.

I think those making personal comments about her personally are, at least, way off base and, at worst, callous.  She loves drum corps, too, so shut up.  It's not your gig.

The comments I am seeing here are mostly asking who is she, and is she aware what this means.  Those are not personal comments.  They are legitimate discussion of the idea.

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Zero accountability - brilliant!

Long gone are the days when proposals have any vision.

So you admit that this proposal was submitted in non-compliance with DCI rules specifically to shield corps directors from criticism.  Was there not one single corps director willing to put their name behind the idea?

The comments I am seeing here are mostly asking who is she, and is she aware what this means.  Those are not personal comments.  They are legitimate discussion of the idea.

Accountability at the top, middle, bottom of the membership!  The leader brings an initiative as vetted by committees created by the membership, and the membership is allowed to vote on it!  It's ANARCHY, I tell ya'!

The last time you saw "vision" that satisfied you was, what, 1989?  Certainly not any of the other decisions in the last 40 years?

I only admit to Occam's razor:  It makes much more sense that the top fiduciary for an entire activity governing body, who is herself an attorney, is most-likely represented by personal counsel to guide her and that she consulted such person.  Then I suspect she vetted the notion with DCI's outside counsel.  i think the intention was to end the past practice of a single director being a lightening rod for decisions that affect the whole activity.  I applaud the notion.

I'm not going to dredge up posters; they're replete and recent in this thread; just click back a page or two.