2020 Rules Proposals

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And somehow we know that your average 15 year old is really clamoring for woodwinds in DCI?  Your premise has no basis behind it. What if your garden variety 15 year old today likes DCI partly because it is different in instrumentation from marching bands. In this case the change could be a very bad idea. 

I tried to find woodwinds clamoring for inclusion in DCI, but I can't find any. Do you know what else I can' find other than here on DCP? People opposed to the idea. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority.

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And somehow we know that your average 15 year old is really clamoring for woodwinds in DCI?  Your premise has no basis behind it. What if your garden variety 15 year old today likes DCI partly because it is different in instrumentation from marching bands. In this case the change could be a very bad idea. 

I was in marching band from the time I was 10.  I saw my first drum corps show that same year at the Illinois state fair.  I went to drum corps when I was 14 because it wasn’t band although I still marched in competitive marching band. 

2 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

It's really silly, with people of upwards of 100,000 posts on this site to imagine their entertainment and daily lives to remain the same without drum corps in their lives. While the fans who remain and talk about the 2021 version of the Blue Devils, that their curiosity won't get the better of them and they won't enjoy watching the corps so that they can spread their snark and share their interpretation of the shows.

Like Kathy said, we heard this all before during any key, during electronics, during any brass instrument. 

Empty threats.

I respect your opinions..It's  the TONE I find problematic...inclusiveness implies that even veterans of the activity and their feelings should be taken seriously...whether we win or lose the debate we reserve the right to be RESPECTED ...  The snark you refer to rises as you personalize the issue...JUST THE FACTS !..no need to suggest that those who FEEL disappointed , are behind the curve..peace

1 minute ago, cybersnyder said:

I tried to find woodwinds clamoring for inclusion in DCI, but I can't find any. Do you know what else I can' find other than here on DCP? People opposed to the idea. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority.

Did you look at Facebook drum and bugle corps?  DCP Facebook?  DCI’s Facebook page?  I don’t think you’re looking in the right places. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Did you look at Facebook drum and bugle corps?  DCP Facebook?  DCI’s Facebook page?  I don’t think you’re looking in the right places. 

I don't follow those. 

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was in marching band from the time I was 10.  I saw my first drum corps show that same year at the Illinois state fair.  I went to drum corps when I was 14 because it wasn’t band although I still marched in competitive marching band. 

Same here.  I saw my first drum corps show in Normal, IL when I was a high school sophomore in 1984 (as a tuba player, sitting on the 50 yard line hearing PR's contra line playing 1812 overture was absolute nirvana).  I was hooked because it was different & amazing.  I marched the next year and have pumped my kids and $$ into the activity ever since.

Now that drum corps = marching band, DCI is forgoing the only thing that made them unique from noise of the marching band activity.  And they are doing it for little gain.  The WW players who want to be part of DCI are already there, marching on horns, spinning flags, etc and having a great time. 

I doubt many people will pay exorbitant sums of money for summer marching band when they can get it for free at home.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 2

Just now, Continental said:

To be honest, I feel like I'm watching a funeral.

Yes, except that the patient is still alive and can't see that he/she is dying.